What species of rosewood does Silver Sky use?

AlexBohlin

I'm about to get a new guitar, but I'm not sure if I want a maple or a rosewood fretboard. I have way more experience with maple than I do with rosewood, cause I've only ever owned one rosewood guitar, and didn't put much thought into the feel of it before it was gone. I guess I'm leaning more towards trying rosewood, I do love to play everything John Mayer and stuff. My only conflict is that I'm going for a 4A+ flame maple neck (edit: I'm not looking to buy a SS, I'm just looking for a guitar that has the same/similar fretboard!), and with maple fretboard you can really see the flame, whereas you can't with the rosewood - Purely aesthetic.

I love the feel of the Silver Sky, both maple and rosewood, but I'm curious what species of rosewood the Silver Sky uses! Because if I do decide for rosewood, I'd want the species to be the same, I think!

Any tips, answers and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Last edited:
You may be able to find a slightly flamed neck eventually, but I don’t think you’ll ever see one with flame on the fretboard too.

Never seen a silver sky with a hugely flamed neck, good luck with that.

My bad! My post was quite vague in terms of proper explanation. I'm not looking for a silver sky with a flamed maple neck, specifically! I am, however, buying a strat with a flamed maple neck, but I want one that has the same fretboard as the Silver Sky since that's the nicest one I've played! Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Indian Rosewood.

You may have to search quite a bit to find a Silver Sky with a flamey neck.

The fretboard is a separate piece of wood, so even if it's all maple, the figuring won't necessarily match.

Sorry for any misunderstanding! But thank you for your answer. I figured Indian Rosewood, but I couldn't find any source confirming it. When in doubt, trust the PRS forums. Thank you, Garrett!

All of the rosewood SS models I’ve seen have been exquisitely dark Indian rosewood so I’m thinking that is a model specific thing. I had a Custom 24 once where the rosewood was so dark that everyone thought it was ebony. Smooth as butter too. Every rosewood SS I’ve seen looks exactly like that Custom 24 to me.

As for flamey necks… they are out there but the flamiest one that I’ve ever seen was one that John M was playing.

Back