What song tugs on your heartstrings?

Living Years- Mike and the Mechanics
Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Tears in Heaven - Clapton

Song For Adam - Jackson Browne, but Gregg Allman's version off of Southern Blood. It gets me every time when Gregg breaks up as he's trying to sing the 4th verse and he passed before he could finish the song. It's hard for me to listen knowing it was literally one of Gregg's last songs ever recorded and not be moved.

and then there's this one:
I know she recorded several versions with different bands over her career, but this demo version is the one I love the most. Beautiful, elegant, haunting and then there's that voice...

So sorry to hear of your Mom, Steve.

There are two songs that never fail to make me break out in tears. "Aubrey" by Bread and "Vincent" by Don McClean. It's interesting how they made me sad as a kid when I really had no grasp on what the words meant but the melodies really put the hook in me. As I got older and able to understand what the lyrics were saying, they made the songs even sadder to me. And they still do. Case in point: Yesterday, I decided to play "Aubrey" on YouTube just to see what other folks had to say. I guess I was just trying to justify why I felt the way I do and convince myself that I just wasn't some big sissy. It turns out that I am definitely not alone in the tears department. The first comment was from a mother that named her daughter Aubrey because of the song and that she was born about a year after I was (I was born March 21, 1972, btw) and she had died March 22, 2017. The mother didn't elaborate on what happened to her daughter but she didn't need to. I was sobbing uncontrollably.

Last edited:
Much love Steve, Amazing Grace done on bagpipes is very moving. Lister got it with Mike and The Mechanics. Dire Straights Brothers in Arms is deep there are so many and your right songs define our lives sometimes without us even knowing why. I bet I could tell someones age (within three years) if they gave me there five favorite songs.......peace.

Amazing Grace touches a special place for me. I think I've told part of this story before, but here it is again;

When my Dad retired he bought a Dobro-style reso from my uncle with the idea that he'd learn it with all of his newly acquired leisure time. For Christmas one year, I bought him some DVD's, new strings, a tuner and several books and he'd mess with it every now and again but never made a whole lot of progress with it. Everytime I came home, I'd drag it out, tune it up and play around with it while we visited. On a trip back home after he was diagnosed, he told me he wanted me to take the guitar home and learn how to play it for him. Now I really, really didn't want to take it, and we even argued a bit, simply because it was making me face what I logically knew was coming but wasn't yet ready to accept. So naturally while we were saying our goodbyes, he snuck out and stuck it in my truck and I didn't find it until we stopped at the first rest stop. So I watched the vids and read the books and started in learning Amazing Grace. The Christmas before he passed, I was able to complete a CD of songs he liked, a couple of songs I'd written and 2 songs on Dobro-Amazing Grace and Silent Night. I'll never be a great Dobro player and honestly, I'm not a big fan of that type of music, but he was thrilled and that's all that mattered to me.
So here it is, my debut on Dobro, Amazing Grace:

https://soundcloud.com/tony-carron/grace001wav

My mother would sing this song when I was a youngster.

When I played this version for her to listen to, she burst into tears. I apologised for upsetting her. She told me that they were tears of joy!

I can't listen to "He stopped loving her today" by George Jones. Can't handle it.

A couple of mine have already been posted.

I'll add a couple that I reference all the time.

A fellow PRS enthusiast, Martin Simpon's Never Any Good. This radio performance is from a world beyond, but somehow so grounded here.

And, Ben Howard's Black Flies.

Both make me want to buy an acoustic and never look back, ever.

Back