What song tugs on your heartstrings?

I did not begin this thread as a memorial to my mom, but her condition did prompt my feelings and the topic when I heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow in her room. So many of you have left kind comments I feel I should let you know we did get the phone call that she had passed over that rainbow last night.
While there is much sadness, there is also the joy that she lived such a long, complete life and also relief she no longer has to suffer.
She will be dearly missed. Rest In Peace, Mom.

Hugs

I’m sitting in hospice with my mom. It’s just a matter of time; she’s 91. My wife, who is an angel, brought a small CD player to her room along with select music to calm my mom. Somewhere Over the Rainbow started playing and I lost it.
I too understand your heartache right now. I am on the beginning of that journey with my own mother. Although she is not that far along, the Dementia has taken hold of her, and it is truly a day to day struggle, that I hate to see. You are in my prayers.

I did not begin this thread as a memorial to my mom, but her condition did prompt my feelings and the topic when I heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow in her room. So many of you have left kind comments I feel I should let you know we did get the phone call that she had passed over that rainbow last night.
While there is much sadness, there is also the joy that she lived such a long, complete life and also relief she no longer has to suffer.

Prayers up for you and your family for your loss, brother! May peace flow like a river...

Peace be with you and your family, Steve

So sorry for your loss buddy. :(You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Not for nonthin but, I'm available anytime day or night should you need an ear or a shoulder. Hang in there bro.

Last edited:
Steve, as sad as this is, I'm strangely glad to hear that everyone in your family is on the other side of it now. Not meant as anything other than a virtual hug.
Stay strong, and hopefully you can help create a celebration with family, friends, and lots of smiles and hugs. Gotta have some tears too, but all the pieces together make a lasting memory.
Much forum brotherly love.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I’m hoping she will just close her eyes and go to sleep. She’s 91 and has been in the nursing home for a couple years. She’s lived a very good life; I just want her comfortable to the end.
Yes, that is the ending we all hope for. My dad gave himself permission to do that after a handful of goodbyes to people he hadn’t talked to in a while. One of them was a younger brother (70 something) who told my dad he had always been his hero. My dad said he never knew that, and then told his brother “you still have time to be somebody’s hero”. It struck me as a wonderful final sentiment.

Layla -- egad, the emotion wrenched out of those vocals and that guitar, and yes, even though we've heard it a Brazilian times, I do mean the original electric version. The unplugged acoustic version is a nice version, but it's a pale shadow of the original.
In The Living Years -- was big when my da passed away, couldn't listen to it for years, which means someone else had to go to the grocery store, because they played it there all the time
Winter Kills -- Seasonal Affective Disorder put to song

A few lesser known ones:

Again, by Archive -- if a song ever captured that dilemma as to whether or not to break up with someone better than this one, I'd like to hear it.
Drinking Song, by Rob Dougan -- it's the songwriter's plight
Requiem, by King Crimson -- grief, distilled
Lullaby, by New Model Army -- I don't have children, and I never will, because I don't get what it takes to be a parent, but this song is the closest anyone has ever come to explaining to me those feelings

A few songs off the top of my head,
You'll Never Know -Ella Fitzgerald. Reminds me of my Father ( probably his favourite song)
Something - George Harrison. ( Just Beautiful )
I will always love you - (Dolly has got a lovely voice).

Last edited:
This one. I remember seeing the series of pictures that inspired the song.

But this one - I’ve posted it before, but I have to be careful where I listen to this.

Back