What song tugs on your heartstrings?

I’m sitting in hospice with my mom. It’s just a matter of time; she’s 91. My wife, who is an angel, brought a small CD player to her room along with select music to calm my mom. Somewhere Over the Rainbow started playing and I lost it.

I'm sorry to hear that Steve, all the best to you and your family during a very difficult time.

I’m sitting in hospice with my mom. It’s just a matter of time; she’s 91. My wife, who is an angel, brought a small CD player to her room along with select music to calm my mom. Somewhere Over the Rainbow started playing and I lost it.

Thoughts with you and your family, at this sad time.

Thinking of you, @11top. My parents are getting on, too.

Living Colour's "This is the Life" takes me back to being an isolated teenager who didn't think he had anything to live for. If you listen to the lyrics, it moves from acknowledging the human condition to a guide to how to be kind and value what you have.

I got past that and later met my wife, who is the most kind and patient person I know. I discovered The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" via the HBO show 'Big Love' and it makes me think of her every time (and yes, she's my only wife).

Last edited:
This one is probably the hardest for me to listen to. Because it was in my car stereo the night I had to put a dog down. And the night my father died, the day after my birthday. 2013

Dang, dude... I about cried listening to that after reading your story...... jeez..... :(

@11top... man...I am so sorry to hear that about your mom. I've been there....man have I been there. Lots of bro hugs being your way.

I know we all bust chops and have fun...but I gotta tell ya...it's times like these that I realize what great friends I have been lucky enough to meet hangin around here.

Okay, I have so many but there are three in particular that regardless of the mood I'm in... any of these will make me lose it...this stuff is so cathartic though...I think music like this cleanses the soul ans eases the mind.

To me there's not a more beautiful thing, than the way lyrics/music evoke these kinds of emotions... like nothing else. There's comfort for me, in that.

This version is RAW a as hell.

The end all be all for me...from a day I'll never forget for my pop... R.I.P. Thomas Steel Russell~Gone but never forgotten.

I did not begin this thread as a memorial to my mom, but her condition did prompt my feelings and the topic when I heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow in her room. So many of you have left kind comments I feel I should let you know we did get the phone call that she had passed over that rainbow last night.
While there is much sadness, there is also the joy that she lived such a long, complete life and also relief she no longer has to suffer.
She will be dearly missed. Rest In Peace, Mom.

Last edited:
Back