What Should Be the Next U.S. Production Model?

Take a look at Larrivee

Larrivees are nice guitars, I agree. I had one of their high end models when they first were introduced in the US.

Not even close to the same sonic league as a PRS acoustic, though.

There is a very significant difference between a USA PRS acoustic and even a very nice Taylor or Breedlove, as unlikely as that sounds. I've owned very high end and limited run Taylors, Collings, and Martins.

Each has its charms. Each is superb. But the PRS acoustics are simply on another planet.

As my son said handing mine back to me after playing it, "My Taylor is just a wood plank in comparison."

Each is very different. I like his reaction, although Taylor's are still darn nice! :biggrin: A wood plank....but a very pretty and good great sounding one at that!

I own a high-end Taylor and thankfully have a local store that carries pieces from the acoustic line (Elderly's...great store!). The Angelus I've played is spectacular. What makes it good? I don't know, magic dust I guess. "Another planet" is so true, and not just because the sound/craftsmanship are so outstanding, there are plenty of high-end acoustics out there. It's because they truly are their own thing. They're not another high-end acoustic. They were engineered and built to be a PRS Acoustic. Upon first strum, its readily apparent these are something special.

As a player, I know I have to follow my ears. Win for PRS there. Unfortunately, like many, I also let my eyes and wallet make some of the decisions. If I was in the ~$5K range for a new acoustic, I would have a hard time taking the PRS over a Taylor Presentation. Or, just buying a 914 and using the rest of the $ for a new amp and pedals. I love the Angelus, but I'd have a hard time plunking down that kind of cash for a guitar that has the aesthetics of a 7-800 series Taylor.

Full disclosure: In a perfect world, I'd just have both! :top:

The Piezo trem and the SC 408 would be more then awesome, specially if it's a 408 SC piezo term...LOL
I could see a JA15 with 408 electronics too

I'd like a Hollowbody SC w/R'Wood neck, Piezo and 408 PuP's,

Ugh, thats what I get for reading too fast. Sorry for totally @#%ing up your thread man! hahahha

Well I hope you're happy. You went and totally buggered the whole thing up. Now it's useless. I might as well just delete the whole damn thing and forget about it. My dream of creating the most famous thread in internet forum history is dashed. What will I ever do now?

:laugh:

I love the Angelus, but I'd have a hard time plunking down that kind of cash for a guitar that has the aesthetics of a 7-800 series Taylor.

I've had several 800 and 900 series Taylors...this is a taste thing, so take these comments as you will.

If you buy a guitar with your eyes (in the case of Taylors I'm guilty!), or because you like the playability, Taylors are great. I don't think they're on the same sonic plane as Collings, or some of the other builders.

Having also had higher-end Collings, Martins, and a Larrivee over the years, I prefer the more traditional methods of construction over a bolt-on for richness of sound, especially for recording. I find that Taylors don't satisfy.

Regardless, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the PRS acoustics coming out of Maryland are the finest sounding acoustic guitars I've ever played; live with one, and it becomes even more apparent that they're just special instruments.

As for decor, there's a richness of the materials and simplicity of design in a PRS that just works for me. You can hear the quality of the materials chosen, as well as liking their appearance.

In contrast, Taylor builds a nice guitar, slaps a bunch of bling on it, and calls it "better," and I say this because I don't often hear much of a difference between their high end and low end offerings. In other words, I've bought them and found myself regretting it.

Back