What SE would be your backup for a CE24?

Mirroredas

I'm buying a CE24 later this year. I fell in love with the 85/15s and I actually like the shallower carve and the extra snap of the bolt-on construction. The only thing I'm not crazy about aesthetically is the light look of the headstock (although sometimes there are limited editions with black satin finishes). It will be my main recording guitar for sure.

As a backup, I'm looking for something similar, but not too similar. I want to be able to grab it and practice without being afraid of making a ding here and there (yes, I'm that kind of guy who would be too afraid to play a private stock on a daily basis).

I'm leaning towards an SE Custom 22. I assume it has a similar feel (can't try one right now), but with a warmer neck sound because of the 22 frets (I have only used the 23rd fret on one song ever, although my slight OCD begs me to have two full octaves available all the time). I might even consider a semi-hollow, just for variety sake.

I also love the look and sound of the SE Paul's guitar, but I'm afraid that the neck will be too thick for me. My hands aren't small, but I play mostly with my thumb behind the neck and not wrapped around it, which tends to lend itself more to thinner necks (my favourite dimensions are 19mm thick, 43mm wide at the neck, similar to a Wide Thin profile).

What do you think about this 1st world dilemma and what would you get personally?

there are at least four se models i would have — hb2 is probably on top. if only it had a floyd!

One thing you could do is grab an SE Custom 24, which would be the closet thing to the CE24 playability wise, and then make it different by playing around with pickups in it. Or if you found a slightly older one, it'd have the HFS/VB pickups which are quite different from the 85/15's' that's in new ones (very close to the CE24).

I wouldnt worry about dinging a new CE, the finish is tough, and the gig bags are great - maybe wrap something on the pointy head stock if your thinking of that.

I thought about getting a CE, but found this instead. SE Custom 24.

TvT4riN.jpg

Back