What recording software do you use?

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
Now that I have the basement studio finished, I can get back to dabbling in small recording projects.

I currently have MOTU products (Digital Performer and an 828), but the software is out of date. It might actually be a good time to switch boats and get something different instead of upgrading to the current version.

I'm not doing anything very complicated here. I don't think I'll be laying down more than 1 track at a time since it is just me...

I'd like to hear from people who are home recording and what you are using software and hardware-wise. I'd particularly like to know if you switched form one set of things to another and why.

I'm in love with Logic, I feel it is the most complete, and valuable musical instrument I own.

Using Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Studio, will be upgrading to Sonar X2 Studio in a few weeks. Also using Native Instruments Alicias Keys for Piano, Toontrack EZDrummer, Izotope Alloy and Ozone for mixing & mastering.

have used other DAW's such as Cubase, Reaper, Ableton. Still use the free Audacity for very basic stuff.

I personally don't feel there's much of a muchness between the big DAW's in terms of how they perform. With Cakewalk I just like the layout and way it works. Nice upgrade pricing too.

Harware wise it's a Cakewalk UA25-EX interface and an M-Audio Oxygen 49 (3rd Gen) Midi Keyboard.

Need to upgrade my monitors but am happy with the rest of the stuff. Just a guy recording some guitar so it doesn't need to be expensive or overly complex.

I use Reaper, POD farm 2 and Toontrack EZ Drummer
I'm not serious into my recording but it does everything I need. I have been messing about with my old POD pro and impulses but I prefer playing to tweaking

Garage band I'm behind the times in the studio department

Garageband is decent enough software. Most Daws's these days are capable of producing good sounding tracks. What I wouldn't scrimp on these days is a good quality audio interface, monitors and a decent specced computer.

To be honest, Sonar and the VST's I use have way, way more features than I understand. I'm probably doing things that would make a pro engineer cringe, so I have no real desire to spend more on really pro equipment.

Harker.. Change the Y'tube link in your sig to:

http://www.youtube.com/CoverUpRocksu

Last edited:
Personally, I use Studio One v2. Great features, stable, and does what I need it to do.

Garageband makes a great starter DAW, as well.

I'm a full-time mastering guy, but occasionally need to do tracking and mixing. That said -- Once I started using Samplitude (currently "Samplitude Pro X), I basically dumped everything else (except for a few "Swiss Army" type programs that get me out of an occasional jam).

Start to finish, soup to nuts, one of the best chunks of 1's and 0's I've ever encountered.

Another vote for Logic.
Although Reaper is an excellent free alternative to dabble with in the meantime.

My GF got me Pro Tools for Valentines Day earlier this year. Incidentally she has a degree for audio engineering and knows how to use the program, so I just know what she's showed me :p

As a film/video scoring guy I use either Logic or DP, depending on what I need to do. I mostly use Logic, but I like the way DP is organized for scoring cues on longer projects.

Also gotta say to John Scrip, that's a superb looking mastering suite!

I'm using Pro Tools now - and I've barely scratched the surface. But it's a lot easier to use than my previous set up, a Roland VS-1880 and Power Tracks on a - seriously - Windows For Workgroups 3.11 PC. Which I could still be running - but I'm not.

Logic Pro.

I studied Pro Tools in school as well, but I feel PT behaves better on PCs and I ain't going down that road again!!!

Sonar Producer X1c on an Intel I7. I have been using Cakewalk since Cakewalk 1, so it's just familiarity and upgrade pricing that keeps me around I suppose!

I have more tools and synths then I know what to do with, as well... Komplete 6, iZotope Ozone and Alloy, etc...

Cubase 6 and ProTools 9. I prefer Cubase for most things, but ProTools is used and taught at the college where I teach audio engineering.

I come from a Cubase background and countless projects with it. To me it was the best "hardware" like DAW - that ran on Windows (PT was not an option at the time). Years went on and I switched over to the cult of mac - and jumped into Logic - I really tried but just couldn't warm up to it. Same w/ Ableton Live - I really wanted to get into both / either for the "live" features but the gui always felt a bit too sterile to me. Earlier this year switched to PT and havent' looked back. It just works well and I spend less time futzing with the comp and setups and more time making music - but can get really deep into it if I want. Also the "hardware" vibe is back. I may venture back to Cubase at some point, but I'm pretty content w/ PT at the moment. Also, knowing that I can swap projects with most of my friends and/or bring a drive of projects into just about any pro studio and start tracking is a great feeling.

Back