What PRS guitar does John McLaughlin play?

He just signed my PRS! Got some protective film to preserve the signature. He seemed to like it a lot.

I've read somewhere that his #1 PRS is made of violin wood.

Found it:

That’s guitar royalty right there. The Pernambuco neck has gone extinct.

Hey Relevation Guy , thanks for the video...

Became aware of McLaughlin during his Mahavishnu days ...

What's with the Bass player wearing gloves ?
https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/06/08/an-interview-with-etienne-mbappe/

Etienne Mbappé is a Cameroonian musician. He has an 800W Amp.

"Lots of readers want to know… why do you wear the gloves when you play?​

I wear black silk gloves because they keep my strings bright, and I really like the bigger and smother sound they provide.

And the second most popular glove question: how can you play and slap and still get that brilliant tone?
Not that easy to do, but I am used to it now! That took a lot of time and a lot of practice to get used to those gloves. And you know what? They are becoming more famous than I am with the not-so-easy-to-pronounce name, MBappé. Just say, “the bass player with the gloves”, and people will say “oh yes…”

I remember an interview where Grissom had a DGT with violin wood/pernambuco neck... but he did not say if he still had it or ever played it...

still looking for one thick enough ..I've got plenty of Black Walnut , Birdseye Maple and Quilted Sapele, and Mahogany for the next 9 necks for now.

Good wood gets harder and to find each year and the prices just keep getting more ridiculous, I look through an average of 1000 sets for every one I buy. Many thanks to Paul for getting me started on my Wood Library 20 years ago.

John McLaughlin was one of the coolest guitarists I encountered at the Experiences...He was easy to approach, and Modest as all get out.
I had a stained chunk-o'wood I wanted him to sign, and we yapped for a few minutes about wood selection for guitars. I'm pretty sure Paul gave him his main axe during that Experience...and "Violin" does ring a bell.

Oh happy day ! I found a nice piece of Chakte Viga (Coulteria platyloba) big enough for a neck ! Perhaps the closest relative to the more-famous Pernambuco, Chakte Viga shares many of the same excellent acoustic properties. With great color, a smooth texture, and a unique iridescent quality that seems to shimmer under the proper wood finish . I'm thinking a Ziricote fretboard..

John McLaughlin was one of the coolest guitarists I encountered at the Experiences...He was easy to approach, and Modest as all get out.
I had a stained chunk-o'wood I wanted him to sign, and we yapped for a few minutes about wood selection for guitars. I'm pretty sure Paul gave him his main axe during that Experience...and "Violin" does ring a bell.

fridsc_0481.jpg

fridsc_0482.jpg

(If the pics doesn't work, they're at http://tignanelli.com/expprs2012friday.htm.)

Oh happy day ! I found a nice piece of Chakte Viga (Coulteria platyloba) big enough for a neck ! Perhaps the closest relative to the more-famous Pernambuco, Chakte Viga shares many of the same excellent acoustic properties. With great color, a smooth texture, and a unique iridescent quality that seems to shimmer under the proper wood finish . I'm thinking a Ziricote fretboard..
If I’m not mistaken, that’s the same wood PRS calls Chaltecoco that they have available for private stock guitars.

Back