What PRS amps do you own?

p.s. And what Fanes, and what Scumbacks, did you use?

Being totally honest, I bought the PRS pine 2x12 because there was zero icepick. Was that due to the amp?

I’ve found that the pine cabs PRS offers (as with other pine cabs) - for whatever reason - sound sweeter and warmer than plywood cabs with any amp I’ve plugged into them, using the same speaker models and types.

With some amps, though, I prefer the plywood cabs, and with some, the pine. I wasn’t as fond of the HXDA with the pine cabs as with the ply cabs. On the other hand, the DG30 and Lone Star do fine either way, though I have a slight preference for the pine with the DG. I can only guess at the whys and wherefores of it.

Maybe the material’s absorbency matters, maybe it’s something about the modulus/stiffness of ply vs pine? Is that even a thing? In any case, they’re different, even with the same amp. You’ve probably noticed the same thing, Boog.

Yes, I have! And I found it interesting that the slew of demo recordings PRSh did several years ago, all on the same cab and mic-ing technique, sounded so good to me. Only after hearing it in person did I realize that there was no recording magic in play. What we heard on YouTube was darned near what it actually sounded like. And I heard no ice pick.

The first time I watched that Nicky Moroch video, I got on the horn to Jack Gretz the minute it was over, and ordered my own HXDA. Sounded exactly like the video when I turned the amp on. Talk about an amp that’s easy to dial in!

Same thing happened with the DG30. Sounded just like the video on Day One.

Everybody knows what PRS amps I have (because I won't stop telling people) but you're going to make me say it again anyway, aren't you? Okay fine. If that's how you want to be.

PRS Dallas 50, 4x10 combo. Ruby red flame Maple bezel.
PRS Archon 100w head with EL34's currently sitting on a Mesa upright 2x12 slant cabinet. Charcoal trans black flame Maple bezel.

Oh crap... Looks like one of these is on Craigslist. I'll probably regret this later.

The guy on the Custom 20 head seems to have crapped out on me. He said he’d let me know if it didn’t sell and he was interested in a trade for my Mark V 25. Instead, it’s expired twice and he resists it with lower BIN price.

The guy on the Custom 20 head seems to have crapped out on me. He said he’d let me know if it didn’t sell and he was interested in a trade for my Mark V 25. Instead, it’s expired twice and he resists it with lower BIN price.

fwiw I would never get rid of a Mark V 25. I'm just sayin'

fwiw I would never get rid of a Mark V 25. I'm just sayin'
I have a Mark V and and V25. At least one of them has to go, and the big one, beast that it is, does sound better. It's just a beast of an amp. Every time I get to turn it up some, I think I'd be stupid to sell it. But as well as the master does work, it's a LOT for playing at home and most of my gigs are lower stage volume than I play with at home, so...

I have a Mark V and and V25. At least one of them has to go, and the big one, beast that it is, does sound better. It's just a beast of an amp. Every time I get to turn it up some, I think I'd be stupid to sell it. But as well as the master does work, it's a LOT for playing at home and most of my gigs are lower stage volume than I play with at home, so...

I had a Mark V (100W), and really dug it. It was my main amp for a while, before I got NEEEEEED for a PRS HXDA.

Sure, it's a lot of amp, but as you know, it'll come down to 10 Watts if you need that. Thing is they're glorious cranked up. It's nice to have that capability. Being able to set up 3 channels is also cool.

It's nice to have a Mesa around in addition to the PRS amps.

So Les, after a year of trying, I actually had a guy on Reverb ask me today if I’d consider trading the Mark V for a 30 watt HX/DA. I’m trying not to get too excited. I’ve seen what the HX/DA’s are selling for and it’s not far from what a nice Mark V sells for. But he’s asking more than most I’ve seen actually SELL have sold for, so I doubt we’ll make the numbers work.

I have an SE20 and and SE50. Like them both. They could move more air if I used a cab but they are both combos. Even so, the single 12" sounds really good. But I do have a Hot Rod DeVille and an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 that both are 2X12 and they generate a greater "wall" of sound at similar volumes.

26962185_10159845070560331_2524115736196998513_o.jpg

So Les, after a year of trying, I actually had a guy on Reverb ask me today if I’d consider trading the Mark V for a 30 watt HX/DA. I’m trying not to get too excited. I’ve seen what the HX/DA’s are selling for and it’s not far from what a nice Mark V sells for. But he’s asking more than most I’ve seen actually SELL have sold for, so I doubt we’ll make the numbers work.

At the same time, I’ve seen Mark V’s sell for $1200 or less. So while I completely understand where you’re coming from, in the end it should boil down to which amp is gonna bring you the most satisfaction.

At the same time, I’ve seen Mark V’s sell for $1200 or less. So while I completely understand where you’re coming from, in the end it should boil down to which amp is gonna bring you the most satisfaction.
and/or if I have the cash to make a trade. I'd really rather sell the V anyway, but figured this might be a chance/way to trade and get to try an HX/DA. I've actually made two deals for this exact trade, but both times before we finalized (basically shipped. We had already agreed to terms etc. and the last guy just said he needed cash and if it didn't sell by the end of the week we'd trade, and a local buyer came in with cash at the last minute). But this time his amp has been listed for over a month, for about $300-$400 more than the last one I saw sell. He was willing to trade but wants to hold that price so we're too far apart.

Back