What PRS am I looking for?

ESPVH

Hi all, since I'm relatively new to PRS guitars, I don't know all the models all that well, but if i got the chance to have "my ultimate" PRS it would be this:

-American
-Solid body
-Double cut away
-Bound body
-Darker blue
-Quilt top
-Straight color or light burst
-Bound neck
-Ebony fret-board
-Abalone bird inlays
-Bound head stock
-Trem bridge, stop-tail ok if trem not available, and if all other boxes checked
-Gold covered pickups
-Gold or two tone hardware

What PRS am I looking for? Of course I have sell about seven of my guitars to get to this point, but that's another thread, lol.....thanks in advance.

How many frets (22 or 24)?

This is right in the PRS standard lineup. There are about 10 models/variants that would meet these requirements.

Start here
C22
C24
Santana
DGT

Ebony isn't available on Core models IIRC as stock
You also didn't say what pups you want....that's important

Some of these new wood library 594s you find online have binding with trem. I have two core CU24 both with ebony fretboards. I think you just gotta start hunting online, its gunna be fun!

Last edited:
Definitely would need to be artist pack or wood library for the ebony (except the Custom 24 Floyd which came with an ebony board, but a maple neck).

How many frets (22 or 24)?

This is right in the PRS standard lineup. There are about 10 models/variants that would meet these requirements.

Start here
C22
C24
Santana
DGT

24 but 22 would work as well

Ebony isn't available on Core models IIRC as stock
You also didn't say what pups you want....that's important

85/15, if they can have a gold cover on them, (not sure), but the pickup can be easily changed, unlike some of the other requirements.

- Also, I think I would like the pick-up selector switch by the knobs......

24 but 22 would work as well

85/15, if they can have a gold cover on them, (not sure), but the pickup can be easily changed, unlike some of the other requirements.

- Also, I think I would like the pick-up selector switch by the knobs......

That's basically a PRS Custom 24 - and you would likely have to pay for a PS to get binding and Gold coloured Hardware. Either this or the Custom 22 but both would require a Private Stock build to facilitate EVERY requirement.

If you can be a bit more 'lax' in some areas - like fretboard wood and binding (Custom 24/22 does have 'faux binding around the body by the way) and gold PU covers, you could save a LOT of money by buying Core. It really depends on how flexible with the requirements are as the majority of your requirements fit these models with just a few (like ebony fretboard, bound neck, gold PU covers, quilt top) mostly cosmetic requirements missing. The Custom 22/24 has two tone hardware as well but the PU's are not covered so if that is important to you, you could swap them out for an after market set. The binding on the neck, especially the headstock binding and ebony fretboard are most likely going to require a special build - either a wood library or potentially even a Private Stock - which would enable you to get all of the requirements met for a price...

That's basically a PRS Custom 24 - and you would likely have to pay for a PS to get binding and Gold coloured Hardware. Either this or the Custom 22 but both would require a Private Stock build to facilitate EVERY requirement.

If you can be a bit more 'lax' in some areas - like fretboard wood and binding (Custom 24/22 does have 'faux binding around the body by the way) and gold PU covers, you could save a LOT of money by buying Core. It really depends on how flexible with the requirements are as the majority of your requirements fit these models with just a few (like ebony fretboard, bound neck, gold PU covers, quilt top) mostly cosmetic requirements missing. The Custom 22/24 has two tone hardware as well but the PU's are not covered so if that is important to you, you could swap them out for an after market set. The binding on the neck, especially the headstock binding and ebony fretboard are most likely going to require a special build - either a wood library or potentially even a Private Stock - which would enable you to get all of the requirements met for a price...

Some of those thing I would flex a little, like the binding, but not the blue quilt:
Like this, but with ebony, and a more reasonable price, lol):

A Custom 24 with Artist Package can get you everything but the binding. Or I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Wood Library runs will scratch the itch.

It will take patience to either hunt/wait for one to come up or to do a custom order.

Some of those thing I would flex a little, like the binding, but not the blue quilt:
Like this, but with ebony, and a more reasonable price, lol):

Generally, Quilt is reserved for Private Stock and/or special builds. I don't know if PRS still do 'Artist' pack but you would still need to go through a Dealer. I the Dealer is making a Wood Library run, with Quilt, you maybe able to purchase one that maybe a bit cheaper than having a one off Private Stock build.

There are numerous Blue Flame Maple topped PRS core guitars at 'reasonable' prices that will sound just the same as a quilted maple top but if you want something specific, something that is not 'regular' for the 'core' build, then you will have to pay extra. Whether you consider the 'price' increase to have a guitar that matches all your requirements is worth the increase in cost when you could by a 'core' that sounds very similar, that is something you and your bank balance will have to decide!

I stumbled across a guitar that has similar specs (again, no binding on neck/head) totally on accident. It's an Artist Package DGT. the color isn't "blue" per se, but has blue in it. I'll let the pictures speak before I give the specs....

This DGT has an Artist Grade Quilted top with natural wood binding on the body. According to PRS it's a Custom Color - using the MODCAT and the Serial they could not determine exactly WHAT color it is. It's a teal-ish/black-ish/blue depending on the light. It has Hybrid (Nickle/Gold) hardware, a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and headstock overlay. The birds are Paua shell outlined with MOP. It came with a Custom Artist Case, all paper work - including the CITES Certificate.

Looking at your specs it's close, but not close enough. You might come across something similar to this in your searches if you are patient enough. BTW - don't overlook Guitar Center's Used inventory. I score A LOT of excellent guitars from them priced below what you find on Reverb.com. This DGT came from GC, and was basically unplayed and I got it for about 1/3rd of what these normally sell for. GC is like a car lot, if inventory sits too long they want it GONE!!! Use that to your advantage. Call the store, ask questions, ask them to send pictures. They'll do it - especially for the high-end stuff.

Good luck in your search!

^
That is a really beautiful color.

95c.jpg

Last edited:
I stumbled across a guitar that has similar specs (again, no binding on neck/head) totally on accident. It's an Artist Package DGT. the color isn't "blue" per se, but has blue in it. I'll let the pictures speak before I give the specs....

This DGT has an Artist Grade Quilted top with natural wood binding on the body. According to PRS it's a Custom Color - using the MODCAT and the Serial they could not determine exactly WHAT color it is. It's a teal-ish/black-ish/blue depending on the light. It has Hybrid (Nickle/Gold) hardware, a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and headstock overlay. The birds are Paua shell outlined with MOP. It came with a Custom Artist Case, all paper work - including the CITES Certificate.

Looking at your specs it's close, but not close enough. You might come across something similar to this in your searches if you are patient enough. BTW - don't overlook Guitar Center's Used inventory. I score A LOT of excellent guitars from them priced below what you find on Reverb.com. This DGT came from GC, and was basically unplayed and I got it for about 1/3rd of what these normally sell for. GC is like a car lot, if inventory sits too long they want it GONE!!! Use that to your advantage. Call the store, ask questions, ask them to send pictures. They'll do it - especially for the high-end stuff.

Good luck in your search!

Is this for sale?

Back