What pickups should I try?

FennRx

Gibson Fanboy
In my S2 Cu24?

It’s not that the stock pups are bad, I just like to tinker. I usually go for PAF clones like WCR and Throbak. I’ve never tried a Jazz/JB combo so that seems enticing.

And go…

Dragon 1, or if you want to try something outside the PRS pickup line, go for one of the Bare Knuckle offerings. For a PAF type tone, go for the Stormy Monday. If you want something that's drastically different, there's the Cold Sweat, Ragnarok, Miracle Man, and Juggernaut.

If I’m spending $400+ on pafs, there are far superior options to anything PRS makes.
That’s hard to be sure of, unless you’ve tried everything PRS makes in your guitar. You have to expect, on a PRS forum, to get largely PRS suggestions.

That said, if you’ve never tried the JB/Jazz combo, you should. It’s a balanced set that’s good for most popular music styles. I’ve also had good luck with Lindy Fralin’s pickups sounding exactly as described on his web site.

PAF clones? Lollar, Fralin, Throbak... and the list goes on.

I struggled with the 85/15 pickups in my core Custom 24 (didn't love them in a previous Custom 22, either--too modern and too much mid-bite for my playing style). I replaced them with a 59/09 set, which are okay for me--and I understand why people like them--but they still have a bit of that modern mid-bite in them. Went to my ol' standby favorite 57/08 set, and they work great for me in that guitar.

Keep in mind that with the PRS offerings, the pickups will only be covered or uncovered depending upon which ones you select:
• 57/08 aftermarket/direct from PRS are all covered
• 59/09 aftermarket/direct from PRS are all uncovered/black-"squabbin"
So this will affect the look of the guitar, if that is important (it often can be).

PAF clones? Lollar, Fralin, Throbak... and the list goes on.

I struggled with the 85/15 pickups in my core Custom 24 (didn't love them in a previous Custom 22, either--too modern and too much mid-bite for my playing style). I replaced them with a 59/09 set, which are okay for me--and I understand why people like them--but they still have a bit of that modern mid-bite in them. Went to my ol' standby favorite 57/08 set, and they work great for me in that guitar.

Keep in mind that with the PRS offerings, the pickups will only be covered or uncovered depending upon which ones you select:
• 57/08 aftermarket/direct from PRS are all covered
• 59/09 aftermarket/direct from PRS are all uncovered/black-"squabbin"
So this will affect the look of the guitar, if that is important (it often can be).
Unless you happen to have a set of dark nickle covered 5909s in your parts drawer.............

If I’m spending $400+ on pafs, there are far superior options to anything PRS makes.
I used to have a similar opinion until I actually played some guitars with PRS 5x/×× humbucker in them. Now? I would take a set of 57/08's, 59/09's, etc over pretty much anything. And yes, I have owned lots of boutique pickups over the years from Bareknuckle, Fralin, Lollar, Duncan Custom shop, etc.

My favorites are probably the original 58/15's, so if anyone has a set of pre low turn 58's kicking around, I will gladly pay you 400+ for them.

So don't knock the newer PRS pickups until you try them; they are fantastic!

Back