What pickup do you use in your acoustic?

Late post but Nissan Frontier.

Also the K&K. Just plug and play- that works for me.
With the K&K's I've had, there were no volume or tone controls on the guitar itself and that was a drag sometimes.

With the Baggs in my Breedloves, I have volume and tone controls mounted with velcro in the soundhole.

K&K's get a nice sound though.

I always used them with a Red Eye preamp pedal.

Last edited:
It is probably due in most part to my green behind the ears status in the acoustic pickup world. I just can not for the life of me dial it in to where it sounds like anything I want. That said, I have yet to try it through my Axe FXIII which I got about a year after installing that pickup, so maybe I will have some luck there once I give it a go. I am such a fan of the "Martin" acoustic sound, so maybe it is just that it is not sounding like what I hear acoustically, which of course is to be expected to some extent. I know however, that I can mic up my acoustics with a couple of Shure SM81's and get the sound I want, but that is a whole different story. Doubt this helps much, but it is all I got ;~)) Besides, the acoustics have taken a back seat once I got my PRSi (and I have tried the PRS acoustics but they did not work for me).

As I think it was Les has said, there is no real substitute to having an acoustic mic’d up properly, to capture the true sound.

This is one of my friends acoustics that he builds. I have this same model.

This is his friend Gill playing. A great musician and photographer.

I have a Baggs Anthem in mine, with the piezo/mic blend. It gets you

As I think it was Les has said, there is no real substitute to having an acoustic mic’d up properly, to capture the true sound.

This is one of my friends acoustics that he builds. I have this same model.

This is his friend Gill playing. A great musician and photographer.

I have a Baggs Anthem in mine, with the piezo/mic blend. It gets you
That's how I would record my acoustic guitar.

But not how I use it live.

Too much hassle using a mic live.

Shoot, I've even used those Aura modeling pedals.

Just plug in and run the output to the PA board.

They'll let you dial in whatever guitar sound you like.

Cool pedals.

When I was playing with it (2020-2021) I was going into a Boss VE-8 pedal (singer/songwriter vocal/guitar pedal) and into PA. Between mixing the mic on the pickup and the magnetic bits or each one independent, I never found a sound that I liked. In defense of the VE-8, my PRSi always sounded fine through that pedal. I also tried going direct to my PA speakers (JBL IRX108 BT's) and did not like the sounds their either. Also tried going through my soundboard and into my DAW, did not like the sounds their either. I probably could have spent a couple of hours tweaking and found something useful there, and may still do so at some point (as mentioned previously, putting through the Axe FXIII perhaps), but it is back seat on my list at the moment. If you have any suggestions on how to get some good tones out of that pickup system, I am all ears but at the moment have a lot of other equipment that is giving me more than enough to keep myself entertained ;~))

From what you're saying here, it sounds like the signal's being processed quite a bit before it hits the sound system. In that type of setup, I think a non-microphone pickup is best. If I'm playing loud or in a setting where I'm using an effect (pretty rare for me) I lean towards the magnet on the REB. In more intimate settings, it's turned towards the mic.

My usual setup is super simple: guitar>Korg Pitchblack tuner>Fishman Platinum EQ>mixer (currently using a Bose Pro8).

Last edited:
I took the cartridges off the Telecaster Fender xD So far it's working

Using LR Baggs Anthem dual source in all my acoustics (PRS and otherwise) They have been very reliable and the battery life is great. I had a couple of custom acoustics made that are essentially a Martin OM body combined with PRS style hybrid fan/x bracing. It might be my favorite thing ever.

Using LR Baggs Anthem dual source in all my acoustics (PRS and otherwise) They have been very reliable and the battery life is great. I had a couple of custom acoustics made that are essentially a Martin OM body combined with PRS style hybrid fan/x bracing. It might be my favorite thing ever.

I need to get some time with the Anthem. I like the Fishman REB for many reasons, but I'm always up for exploring options. I recently found a '10 Steve Fischer Angelus with the original 18V "feather" pickup, which from my understanding is an early attempt at what the K&K's are known for now. I plan to play with it this weekend and see if I want to keep it or install something else.

I'm interested in checking out the Hy-Vibe system. Look like a lot of fun when not plugging in.

I played a Lâg dread recently and it was a great guitar, especially for the sale price. It didn't sound like my Angelus, but had a nice big open tone and was easy to play.

Back