What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

I think these picks are really cool, but $35 a pop?!! :eek: I know that may sound silly since I’ve been known to spend a bit more than that on a guitar, but I don’t tend to loose guitars. On the other hand, I can’t keep a pick to save my soul. :(

It's funny how you tend not to lose a pick that you spent $35, compared to the dozen for $5 Dunlops I used to use.

For my Django style, I play a $20 Wegen, which is fairly vanilla in that world, and the Red Bears for everything else. Like you said, it's silly that people won't think twice about spending thousands on guitars, but scoff at more than a few bucks for a dozen picks. And I get it, they're not for everyone, but the Red Bears have been a huge advantage to my playing, and after 3 years, I'm still using the same pick. It's held up perfectly. I have a few backups that are still unopened.

I think these picks are really cool, but $35 a pop?!! :eek: I know that may sound silly since I’ve been known to spend a bit more than that on a guitar, but I don’t tend to loose guitars. On the other hand, I can’t keep a pick to save my soul. :(

411Ee2SCyEL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Or if you switch picks a lot, Gorilla Snot.

So what red bear picks do you use and what is their advantage?

I've never tried real turtle shell, and I have zero desire. I use the Guthrie Govan signatures because it has the shape I prefer. The coin edge is also neat for scraping effects. As far as advantage, that's difficult for me to qualify. I think it would be like saying the advantages over one kind of string versus another. It's all preference. I've evangelized Red Bear because I think they have made a tangible positive impact on my playing.

This is what they company says about them:

"Our picks are made from Galalith also referred to as Milk Stone or Avoriolina (Ivory imitation). This natural product is made from the hardening of casein, the protein of milk which is a “polymerized animal protein”. Using this material for flat picks delivers an organic feel imitating the warm tone and feel of real shell from the Hawksbill Turtle which is now a protected species. Many people who have tried our picks cannot tell them apart from the real thing."

My experience is that the tone is well rounded and incredibly warm. The material itself is nearly indestructible, at least from normal use. I've polished the bevels a few times, but that's it.

For me, the tone and feel are primary drivers. These picks do not slip out of my fingers, regardless of what I'm doing. And after 3 years of near daily use, short of the logo being rubbed off, the pick looks, feels, and sounds like it did when I received it. I feel like the pick lets the natural sound of the guitar shine through, which is what I want from my playing.

I just ordered a few a couple of Dragon picks. I read good things about them some time ago. Not THAT expensive but more than what I'm currently using.
We shall see if they bare musical fruit.:)

Dunlop ultex sharp 1.14mm for several years now and I love them.

I've been using Dava picks and I really like them but the tips can wear out kind of quickly.

Does anyone sell a sampler pick package that has picks from different manufacturers?

This thread made me curious about trying other picks. So I found 3 variety pick packs at my favorite local shop. Dunlop has a 12-pack of Light/Medium, a 12-pack of Medium/Heavy picks and Clayton has a 6-pack (I'm in Oregon, Clayton is in Oregon and is a relatively small company, so I like to support the small local guys, and I like their picks.) So I've got 30 picks to try and haven't settled on anything yet.

One thing I have found is that the Jazz III is too small for me - I find it hard to hold onto. I would be interested to learn what Jazz III users like about them. Clayton has a couple of similarly thick picks that are a normal size and are easier for me to hang onto.

Both Dunlop and Clayton have picks with a rough area that makes the pick easier to hold without having to grip it too tightly. The trouble with some of these "grip" picks is being able to palm the pick to switch from using the pick to fingerpicking and back. (I love to watch Chris Buck on YouTube.)

In the past I have liked the clear tones from the Clayton Ultem picks (which appear to be the same material as the Dunlop Ultex picks), but now I find that other materials used for the Dunlop Tortex and Dunlop Gator Grip produce warmer tones. And I've also found that I kind of like using something heavier than the Clayton Ultem .56 picks that I had been using.

My only PRS is the 2020 SE Standard with the 85/15 pickups which are really bright. So I have tried the warmer sounding picks, but haven't settled on using them yet. The tones of my other guitars are not as bright, so I still like using the Clayton Ultem picks on them.

I finally received my Dragon picks. They might be decent but I haven't found out yet. Reason is that I'm older and my fingers get dry. The Dragon picks slip out of my grip. To fix that issue I ordered some Monster Grips. These are stick on grips that hopefully will take care of that problem :)
They have a neat shape. Kind of like 3 picks in one. Pointy, curved and more curved..

Back