What percentage of your guitars are PRS?

What % of your guitars are PRS?

• 100%

Votes: 37 11.8%
  • More than 50%

Votes: 88 28.1%
  • 50%

Votes: 34 10.9%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 150 47.9%
  • I don’t own one yet, but I will.

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
4 electrics - (2) PRS, (1) LP, (1) Ibanez
1 Acoustic - Celebrity Ovation

Puts me at 40%, but with the help of all you enablers, shortly I'll be at 50% and before too long over 50%. Pretty soon I'll be on fries and thats when the big money starts rolling in.
Hah! Nice one!

I’m going to have to change my percentage, though still below 50%. 2017 SC594 Soapbar deal closed tonight! All black, going to look nice next to my black SC594 58/15LT. NGD post when it arrives! Life is GOOD.
Hmm, the two SC594 soapbars that I have been stalking on Reverb are still listed, so I am very curious what you have acquired!

This is off topic, and perhaps a little divisive....

You know that I am new to the PRS family. I selected this guitar because I do a lot of pit work (and general business) and it's a solid, accurate (almost "neutral" - but versatile) instrument. My two other guitars (335 & J-45) and my backup Tele all have specific applications. All my guitars are "working" guitars - if you don't work, you don't eat. The few guitars that were not in regular rotation or were just played out were sold or traded in the past couple years.

So... in the nicest, most respectful way possible...I'm asking those of you who have many many guitars (for me, that would be more than, say 5 or 6), why have you acquired so many guitars? And, above that, those of you in the stratosphere (say 20+) what's the thought/motive/emotion behind that?

- Just kept buying, never bothered to sell.
- I collect a lot of things, guitars, included.
- Each guitar I have is a work of art.
- I like to "possess" things.
- Displaying lots of guitars makes me feel good.
- I need a lot of guitars for work.

Something else?

I've been on guitar forums for a long, long time, and have seen this behavior over and over again. Let me re-emphasize: I'n not being critical. I am honestly curious. I look forward to your honest responses.

...why have you acquired so many guitars?
The question is a good one, especially from a workingman's tools perspective.

I used to play covers, but never did anything like session work. I don't buy guitars as "tools". Your comment that "if you don't work, you don't eat", does not apply to guitars in my life. My work is statistical analysis and manufacturing problem solving. Guitars are for enjoyment. Creating music is enjoyable, and hunting for one that can bring something new to my tonal pallet is also valuable to me. It isn't needed to put food on the table, it brings peace and sanity after doing what does put food on the table.

There are other "hobbies" that offer relief to others in a similar way
; some costing far more money

High end watches,
High performance or luxury automobiles,
Photography,
Hunting and firearms shooting,
The list goes far longer.

I enjoy playing guitar and I enjoy finding the next one. It's not about tools. It's about making life meaningful. To be clear, the most meaningful part of my life isn't guitars and music. The most fulfilling part of my life is investing in my wife and my children's lives. Paying for college and walking life's highway with them is far more costly and far more rewarding than my hobbies. Giving up Saturdays helping someone move or paying for a hotel room so a family that has broken down on the road can get their car fixed is far more rewarding than searching for the next blue guitar (for Sergio).

There's more to life than putting food on the table. If one has disposable income, it soothes the soul to use a little of it in pursuit of nice things.

I used to play covers, but never did anything like session work. I don't buy guitars as "tools". Your comment that "if you don't work, you don't eat", does not apply to guitars in my life. My work is statistical analysis and manufacturing problem solving. Guitars are for enjoyment. Creating music is enjoyable, and hunting for one that can bring something new to my tonal pallet is also valuable to me. It isn't needed to put food on the table, it brings peace and sanity after doing what does put food on the table.

High end watches,
Photography,

I enjoy playing guitar and I enjoy finding the next one. It's not about tools. It's about making life meaningful. To be clear, the most meaningful part of my life isn't guitars and music. The most fulfilling part of my life is investing in my wife and my children's lives. Paying for college and walking life's highway with them is far more costly and far more rewarding than my hobbies. Giving up Saturdays helping someone move or paying for a hotel room so a family that has broken down on the road can get their car fixed is far more rewarding than searching for the next blue guitar (for Sergio).

There's more to life than putting food on the table. If one has disposable income, it soothes the soul to use a little of it in pursuit of nice things.

Thanks!

"I don't buy guitars as 'tools.'"
"...hunting for one that can bring something new to my tonal pallet is also valuable to me."
"If one has disposable income, it soothes the soul to use a little of it in pursuit of nice things."

A couple things - I LOVE buying guitars. It's thrilling. It's a buzz. It's a high. I just don't do it for a the same reasons I don't do a lot of things - the consequences (money lost, maintenance & storage, time-wasted when I could be engaged in other higher-value activities like practice and family time). That said, I love the hunt too, and my recent acquisition was a result of that hunt. And it is nice to have nice things!

Anyone else?

BTW - The comment: "if you don't work, you don't eat" is my approach to guitar ownership, meaning, if a guitar is not being used, it's gone. All my guitars are work guitars. I have a day job.

Hah! Nice one!

Hmm, the two SC594 soapbars that I have been stalking on Reverb are still listed, so I am very curious what you have acquired!
The black one that seller “Bottlenecks” or “Bottlefreaks” had for sale. He’s a fellow Texas player, a few hours away in Austin. We’ve been talking on it for a while and finally found a mutually beneficial price. It was, by several hundred dollars, the best one I’ve found. And it matches my SC594 so that’s a double win!

Last edited:

You know that I am new to the PRS family. I selected this guitar because I do a lot of pit work (and general business) and it's a solid, accurate (almost "neutral" - but versatile) instrument. My two other guitars (335 & J-45) and my backup Tele all have specific applications. All my guitars are "working" guitars - if you don't work, you don't eat. The few guitars that were not in regular rotation or were just played out were sold or traded in the past couple years.

So... in the nicest, most respectful way possible...I'm asking those of you who have many many guitars (for me, that would be more than, say 5 or 6), why have you acquired so many guitars? And, above that, those of you in the stratosphere (say 20+) what's the thought/motive/emotion behind that?

- Just kept buying, never bothered to sell.
- I collect a lot of things, guitars, included.
- Each guitar I have is a work of art.
- I like to "possess" things.
- Displaying lots of guitars makes me feel good.
- I need a lot of guitars for work.

Something else?

I've been on guitar forums for a long, long time, and have seen this behavior over and over again. Let me re-emphasize: I'n not being critical. I am honestly curious. I look forward to your honest responses.

I think this question deserves its own poll/thread :D

High end watches,
Photography,

My guitars are paid for by playing music, and reinvesting the money into the music business keeps the tax hit down too. I like guitars, firearms, tools... guy stuff I suppose.

It’s all in its place. I don’t need 20 guitars. Or more than one handgun or rifle. Or a toolbox full of tools. And on and on. I tithe, save, pay my bills, and have no debt. I help those I can. And I enjoy the blessings that come from working. Balance.

PRS - 3 - 37.5%
Taylor - 2 - 25%
Knaggs - 1 - 12.5%
Anderson - 1 - 12.5%
McNaught - 1 - 12.5%

Colors:
Goldtop - 3 - 37.5%
Red - 2 - 25%
Natural Spruce - 2 - 25%
TV yellow - 1 - 12.5%

I think this question deserves its own poll/thread :D

I don't know - I don't want to make this into a "thing." More idle curiosity than anything else, and this seems like a forum for where there are a lot of collectors.

My guitars are paid for by playing music, and reinvesting the money into the music business keeps the tax hit down too. I like guitars, firearms, tools... guy stuff I suppose.

It’s all in its place. I don’t need 20 guitars. Or more than one handgun or rifle. Or a toolbox full of tools. And on and on. I tithe, save, pay my bills, and have no debt. I help those I can. And I enjoy the blessings that come from working. Balance.

I reinvest, too (but because I don't file a schedule-C I don't get the write offs). However, it's allowed me some high-end gear that works and sounds great and keeps the phone ringing.

"I like guitars, firearms, tools...I don’t need 20 guitars. Or more than one handgun or rifle. Or a toolbox full of tools...".

Maybe it just boils down to a personalty thing? Personally, I have no collections of anything. Bottle caps, baseball cards, baseball caps, wine, whiskey, guitars, amplifiers, guns, tools, cars, watches, wallets, cigars, books, shoes, CDs, comic books, art work....

...nope nope nope and nope. I just don't have that impulse, which makes me all the more curious about people who do like to collect things.

I reinvest, too (but because I don't file a schedule-C I don't get the write offs). However, it's allowed me some high-end gear that works and sounds great and keeps the phone ringing.

"I like guitars, firearms, tools...I don’t need 20 guitars. Or more than one handgun or rifle. Or a toolbox full of tools...".

Maybe it just boils down to a personalty thing? Personally, I have no collections of anything. Bottle caps, baseball cards, baseball caps, wine, whiskey, guitars, amplifiers, guns, tools, cars, watches, wallets, cigars, books, shoes, CDs, comic books, art work....

...nope nope nope and nope. I just don't have that impulse, which makes me all the more curious about people who do like to collect things.
Could be. Either way, no harm in abundance, no shame in minimalism.

I’m going to have to change my percentage, though still below 50%. 2017 SC594 Soapbar deal closed tonight! All black, going to look nice next to my black SC594 58/15LT. NGD post when it arrives! Life is GOOD.
Atta boy!

High end watches,
Photography,

I’m going to copy this for my answer, too. Except for the job part.

So... in the nicest, most respectful way possible...I'm asking those of you who have many many guitars (for me, that would be more than, say 5 or 6), why have you acquired so many guitars?
1 my ghetto bass, which I worked with for a fair bit of time
2 a classical guitar to keep my reading skills up, and be self sufficiently musical
3 a steel string for camp fire music
4 a tele because it was the cheapest half decent electric - very different than acoustic
5 a Les Paul, much better than my tele and better suited to the music in my head
6 PRS custom - finally a really good guitar
7 PRS hollow body, very different character
...archtop, 12 string, 9 string...

1 my ghetto bass, which I worked with for a fair bit of time
2 a classical guitar to keep my reading skills up, and be self sufficiently musical
3 a steel string for camp fire music
4 a tele because it was the cheapest half decent electric - very different than acoustic
5 a Les Paul, much better than my tele and better suited to the music in my head
6 PRS custom - finally a really good guitar
7 PRS hollow body, very different character
...archtop, 12 string, 9 string...

Back