What percentage of your guitars are PRS?

What % of your guitars are PRS?

• 100%

Votes: 37 11.8%
  • More than 50%

Votes: 88 28.1%
  • 50%

Votes: 34 10.9%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 150 47.9%
  • I don’t own one yet, but I will.

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
I'm asking those of you who have many many guitars (for me, that would be more than, say 5 or 6), why have you acquired so many guitars?
I haven’t played out in a band since the mid eighties and that was bass, not guitar. I merely play for myself.

I’m sole care giver to my 90 year old dad whose health is starting to fail. He played guitar in the Catskill resorts for decades and he’s the guy that got me into playing.

For the last five years, I’ve also been the sole caregiver to my wife who has Early Onset Alzheimers. I placed her in a nursing home yesterday.

So I play as a form of therapy — exercising muscle memory as a mindless meditative exercise to get the through the day. I buy new guitars as a reason to look forward to getting something new — a reason to live.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought that was a great question that deserved an honest answer.

And while I’m at it, I have to thank everyone who’s posted anything on this forum. Believe it or not, this place has kept me sane during a very tough time in my life.

I have an S2 Standard 24, and two SE Custom 24s, so all my electrics are PRS (and that’s not likely to change, since I’ve previously owned everything from Parkers to Rics to Danelectros).

My acoustics are Taylor 210s, back when that models was all solid wood and US made.

Last edited:
I haven’t played out in a band since the mid eighties and that was bass, not guitar. I merely play for myself.

I’m sole care giver to my 90 year old dad whose health is starting to fail. He played guitar in the Catskill resorts for decades and he’s the guy that got me into playing.

For the last five years, I’ve also been the sole caregiver to my wife who has Early Onset Alzheimers. I placed her in a nursing home yesterday.

So I play as a form of therapy — exercising muscle memory as a mindless meditative exercise to get the through the day. I buy new guitars as a reason to look forward to getting something new — a reason to live.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought that was a great question that deserved an honest answer.

And while I’m at it, I have to thank everyone who’s posted anything on this forum. Believe it or not, this place has kept me sane during a very tough time in my life.
Hard to imagine.
Take all the therapy you can get.
Thinking of you mate.

So... in the nicest, most respectful way possible...I'm asking those of you who have many many guitars (for me, that would be more than, say 5 or 6), why have you acquired so many guitars? And, above that, those of you in the stratosphere (say 20+) what's the thought/motive/emotion behind that?

- Just kept buying, never bothered to sell.
- I collect a lot of things, guitars, included.
- Each guitar I have is a work of art.
- I like to "possess" things.
- Displaying lots of guitars makes me feel good.
- I need a lot of guitars for work.

Something else?

I've been on guitar forums for a long, long time, and have seen this behavior over and over again. Let me re-emphasize: I'n not being critical. I am honestly curious. I look forward to your honest responses.

Why? Because I’ve been a figured wood nut most of my life. I get it honestly from my dad who would take me to lumberyards when I was knee high to a grasshopper. I started out having long gun stocks built, but I quit shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays. As I lifelong music enthusiast and a player since grade school, guitars became a natural progression.

So, while I’ve accumulated some nice specimens, I’m still on the prowl for the Holy Grail top. It’s all about the hunt.

I get it honestly from my dad who would take me to lumberyards when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
I went to the lumber mills with my dad to load up his truck to take wood to lumber mills for other dads to take their kids to visit.

I was a bit sad for the trees that had to go to the paper plant.

Hats off to you sir. Not everybody has the mental strength to be a caregiver in that capacity.

Rock on brother!

<snip/>

Sir, sending you all the good energy possible, I can't even begin to frikkin' imagine how hard that must be. Your father is understandable and a normal part of life (hell anyone should be happy to make it to 90!) but the early onset Alzheimers, can't imagine how hard that must be. Stay strong friend!

All the best to you. Hang tough!

All the best my friend.

Taking solace from a place full of good people who happen to have a central music focus is a great thing to do. You’re doing well to realize you need an outlet, and a way/place to unload and refuel. Stay connected. We’re all pulling for you.

Can’t really say it better than Rick did, but much mojo sent your way. Stay strong, my friend.

I think we all need a therapy of sorts for different situations. Here's thinking of you brother your a true hero. Much love to you and yours.

You guys are all wonderful. That’s why I frequent this forum in the first place.

So, thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. But it looks like I seriously derailed a great question.

So please get back to the topic at hand and tell folks why you have so many damned guitars (and how many of them are PRSi) :D

So please get back to the topic at hand and tell folks why you have so many damned guitars (and how many of them are PRSi) :D
The why of it for me.
When I started to have a bit of discretionary money I thought it would be nice to have one of each, meaning style of guitar. I got there just about the turn of the century and at the time half were PRS. Since I had everything, I stopped buying.

About 10 years later, with my kids finished university, I bought variations partly because they were pretty and partly out of curiosity. People described guitar in a way that was rarely meaningful to me (like how is a guitar like butter) so I tried things for myself and ended up with some spares.

Back