What pedals do I need for this Tone?

tyt921

This is NOT ME. Just a cover of the song I found on youtube. I wish to replicate this type of sound. I like the thickness and that fat tone. I know all in all, its probably his AMP thats giving such good sound. But I was wondering what kind of pedal do I need to provide similar effects to this massive, fullness, beefy tone we hear here especially in the middle of the song. Do I need a boost pedal? Overdrive pedal? I am using a Blackstar ID15. I want to add some punch to it. Let me know guys, thanks! Also sharing a wonderful song which I really like :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some impressive playing. Thanks for sharing this video. I can see why you're trying to get a handle on that tone; it's great IMO. It reminds me a lot of Carlos Santana's "Europa".

Goldtop

IMHO, it's a very tube-screamerish type of OD, pushing the front end of the amp.

IMHO, it's a very tube-screamerish type of OD, pushing the front end of the amp.

Like maybe an Ibanez Tuberscreamer pedal? Maybe an OCD by fulltone? I have heard some of the sounds these pedals produces, though not the tone I am looking for, it does add some body to the tone. I am thinking maybe tweaking it will get me that type of sound. Theres also a blackstar, tube OD pedal if thats what you are referring to. But that one is like over 300 bucks I think. The other 2 are 140ish

I was thinking along the same lines... it sounds like there's a lot of gain, so get something that can put a good boost into your amp's lead channel. Visual Sound made a good tubescreamer type pedal for a while, it had a ton of volume to boost gain levels, and a bass boost to fatten things up. I think it was the Route 808.

this might sound off, but I bet he has VB and a HFS in that 20 anniversary prs. The HFS and VB are killer, and I believe are helping get that tone.

Like maybe an Ibanez Tuberscreamer pedal? Maybe an OCD by fulltone? I have heard some of the sounds these pedals produces, though not the tone I am looking for, it does add some body to the tone.

It's more of a soft-clip Tubescreamer type than OCD, which is a harder type of clipping.

There are literally hundreds of pedals on the market that can do this, so it could be just about anything. Impossible to do more than a wild guess without knowing the amp, the pickups, etc.

It's a matter of working the controls to push the preamp tubes of an amp just right, combined with allowing the power tubes of the amp to do their thing instead of just getting "all preamp" distortion.

In other words, you won't find it in just a pedal. The controls of the guitar, pedal or pedals, and amp are all involved, and as Wardog says, the pickups will play a role as well.

It's more of a soft-clip Tubescreamer type than OCD, which is a harder type of clipping.

There are literally hundreds of pedals on the market that can do this, so it could be just about anything. Impossible to do more than a wild guess without knowing the amp, the pickups, etc.

It's a matter of working the controls to push the preamp tubes of an amp just right, combined with allowing the power tubes of the amp to do their thing instead of just getting "all preamp" distortion.

In other words, you won't find it in just a pedal. The controls of the guitar, pedal or pedals, and amp are all involved, and as Wardog says, the pickups will play a role as well.

Good call, knew the answer by heart, but just hoped it would be as simple as buying a new pedal.

Sigh....I think honestly, trying to play these songs at my level is a joke. Im having a hugeeeeee difficult time playing the parts and doing the bends and playing the pentatonics in the song with high speed. its actually turning me off from playing guitar all together. Yesterday I went back to a beginner song cover which got me into guitar 4 months ago. I finished the song without difficulty and that feels so good. I think I am gonna lay off the stuff I find too difficult for now and just resume what I did before and thats just practicing simple songs for now with what I have.

wow, that was really beautiful actually. I'm with Lschefman on this one. This will take I think moreso time on your part to EQ just right on your amp to get a similar sound.

Good call, knew the answer by heart, but just hoped it would be as simple as buying a new pedal.

Sigh....I think honestly, trying to play these songs at my level is a joke. Im having a hugeeeeee difficult time playing the parts and doing the bends and playing the pentatonics in the song with high speed. its actually turning me off from playing guitar all together. Yesterday I went back to a beginner song cover which got me into guitar 4 months ago. I finished the song without difficulty and that feels so good. I think I am gonna lay off the stuff I find too difficult for now and just resume what I did before and thats just practicing simple songs for now with what I have.

Dude, this is not what you're going to want to hear, but you gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run. If you're even attempting this after 4 months, you're going a lot faster than I ever did. I've been at this a lot longer than 4 months, and I still go through the crawl/walk/run stages.

Don't get discouraged - it just takes time. Which none of us want to admit.

Don't get discouraged - it just takes time. Which none of us want to admit.

By now this is common knowledge, but when it was originally researched it was big news, despite how obvious it seems in retrospect:

By the age of 20, elite musicians put in over 10,000 hours of practice.

So to use Alan's crawl, walk, run analogy...figure 3,000 hours of crawling.

But wait, there's more bad news!

If the neural synapses used during this 10K hours aren't well-developed by puberty, your potential as an elite instrumentalist is pretty low. Start playing an instrument in your late teens, and you're never going to reach the potential you might have had. The older you are when you start, the more difficult the task of playing well because adults' neural pathways are very difficult to change.

I'll use myself as an example:

I've been playing piano since age four. I'm pretty good on keys. A piano keyboard feels like an extension of my brain. I had my 10,000 hours on keys by the time I was 14-15.

I started guitar at 17. I will never be an elite guitar player. This is something I accept, although I do practice and no doubt have put more than my 10,000 hours on the instrument in the intervening 40 something years. A guitar still feels less natural to my brain than a keyboard. For me, a perfectionist, this is crushing!

Still worse news:

Not everyone can be elite even with the 10,000 hours because something called Talent isn't equally distributed among individuals. I sure wish I had more!

It's a cruel world. But still a fun one.

Enjoy the long crawl anyway! You don't have to be a badass guitar player to really enjoy playing. ;)

Crueler still:

You can't simply walk into a store and buy great tone.

I know, you disagree.

After all, you love your gear. But think about it more deeply.

Sure, you can buy equipment. But really good tone is the result of years of crafting the feedback loop from brain to hands to instrument to ears to brain. That feedback loop is the difference between hearing a piece of gear and hearing a great tone. It's why you can buy a Strat and a Clapton Amp, play the same notes, and still not sound a damn thing like Clapton.

Tone may not be in the hands, but it's damn sure in that feedback loop that includes the brain, hands, instrument, ancillary gear, ears and back to brain.

You can put a new player on the best equipment, and the results will not raise the hair on the back of your neck. But put a great player on that equipment, playing the very same simple notes, and the resulting sounds will be glorious, because the great player can work that feedback loop to produce what his/her brain intends.

Of course, a better piece of equipment will make nearly anyone sound better. But equipment isn't tone. Equipment is potential. It can't do anything unless the player can reach into and unlock that potential.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, tone is more than just the product of equipment. So I won't repeat Les's most excellent summary.

And I don't think I could play what that guy is doing in that video, and I've been playing for 30 years. But I started at 16, and have "David Gilmour hands and fingers" (shorter and stubbier than most). So I know my limits. And I was never going to be pro, so I didn't practice as much as I could have. So if you are even getting part of what he's doing, you're miles ahead of me...

However, you'll perhaps find it easier to get your brain into that tone-mode if you have some good-enough tools at your disposal. The trick is to explore those tomes without breaking the bank. Pick up a few inexpensive pedals to play with, see how they interact with your guitar and amp, and see what happens.

I just received a couple of Joyo pedals - the Vintage Overdrive and Ultimate Drive. They are quite different from my existing collection (I never had a tube screamer or clone in all those years...), and they give very different tones from the Boss pedals that I've been using all along. The Joyo pedals are inexpensive, but seem to have a good sound and aren't noisy, so they aren't frustrating (unlike a Dan Electro Fab Tone I got years ago when they first came out that has sat on the shelf for most of those years - a hiss machine!). A good place to start to experiment with tone, IMHO.

The video sounds like he playing with a tube-screamer-like OD pedal that is interacting very well with his amp and guitar. Not too over-driven, just pushing the amp into good tone territory. So look into one of those perhaps...

IMHO, YMMV.

Bummer big time...I started guitar 4 months ago, I am 28 years old right now - - - > :bawling:
I do feel a bit hopeless now lol

also the song I posted, to me, it sounded easy so thats why I started wanting to play it. I thought it would be a good start. Sorry for being ignorant guys, I know nothing about guitars, to me, I listened to the song, and I said to myself how hard could this be? I got my answer: impossible.

Started Violin at age 12. Got really good at it and that put me into the first seat of the 2nd Violins at school. Played till I got to high school, then quit, I was age 16 then.

I was thinking that since I played the violin before, and since I was good with it, going into guitar would be easy. Vibrato was easy for me on the violin and I could do it so gracefully yet so unbearably hard on the guitar. Not longer after (1 month) I bought my PRS SE 24. I practice about 3-4 hours a day on very simple song covers, everyday since I picked up guitar 4 months ago with exception of last month due to sickness I was out the whole month. Honestly, I am improving alot, but at very slow pace. 1 month ago, I couldnt even use my pick without hitting all the wrong strings. Now I can use my pick effectively. I aint gonna give up on the skills, because (this is about to sound stupid) my mom taught me that if you put your heart and effort into it, theres nothing in the world you cant accomplish and I have lived by that rule till now. Though in reality I realize the limitations.

Guys, thanks for the advice. This forum have given me so much support and advice. You are all my teacher and mentors here. I totally appreciate it. I will set more realistic goals now.

Last edited:
Bummer big time...I started guitar 4 months ago, I am 28 years old right now - - - > :bawling:
I do feel a bit hopeless now lol

also the song I posted, to me, it sounded easy so thats why I started wanting to play it. I thought it would be a good start. Sorry for being ignorant guys, I know nothing about guitars, to me, I listened to the song, and I said to myself how hard could this be? I got my answer: impossible.

Started Violin at age 12. Got really good at it and that put me into the first seat of the 2nd Violins at school. Played till I got to high school, then quit, I was age 16 then.

I was thinking that since I played the violin before, and since I was good with it, going into guitar would be easy. Vibrato was easy for me on the violin and I could do it so gracefully yet so unbearably hard on the guitar. Not longer after (1 month) I bought my PRS SE 24. I practice about 3-4 hours a day on very simple song covers, everyday since I picked up guitar 4 months ago with exception of last month due to sickness I was out the whole month. Honestly, I am improving alot, but at very slow pace. 1 month ago, I couldnt even use my pick without hitting all the wrong strings. Now I can use my pick effectively. I aint gonna give up on the skills, because (this is about to sound stupid) my mom taught me that if you put your heart and effort into it, theres nothing in the world you cant accomplish and I have lived by that rule till now. Though in reality I realize the limitations.

Guys, thanks for the advice. This forum have given me so much support and advice. You are all my teacher and mentors here. I totally appreciate it. I will set more realistic goals now.

If you played strings before with violin, it may come easier to you.

Of course, the right hand technique is completely different, but those pathways may still be there, if a bit rusty. Keep at it.

The reason I posted all that "bad news" stuff is twofold:

First. don't become frustrated if your progress is slow.

Second, the gear is second to the development of that brain-hand-instrument-ear feedback loop. Keep at it. That loop is the key to everything. :p

I am not near as good as the video you posted but with a pretty simple setup I got to here.

First recording is from my iPhone :) "clams and all"

Second is a track Les shared and I tried my hand at recorded in Protools with just an SM57 on my amp, I did not use any Protools effects

I make the Overdrives/Fuzz pedals, the reverb and delay is a TC electronics Nova system

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/sct-3

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/les-jazz-3

Les: I think I got exactly what I needed, many great teachers here :shakehands:. The are real and I needed them to improve. Today I practiced just the pentatonics, and I am working just to get it played from slow, to a bit faster. When I feel I have mastered the slow speed Ill try to speed it up a bit. I still practice vibrato, because I think I do need to train that wrist strength for when I am ready to integrate them into my notes. I aint gonna lie, its boring as fack, but I know its a process. When I even can finish a decent song, Ill post it and share it :top:

Rider: Nice playing. I love jazz. These tunes are amazing. I actually first started getting into guitar through blues/jazz. Jazz really interested me for a while, then I moved to metal, then I moved back to rock, then softer rock, to this kinda mellow genre. My interest of what I wanna play is so broad. Les nailed it though, I aint gonna need anything for now. Will need to just practice till I improve a bit more!

you all should share more stuff, I love hearing yall play!!

Out of curiosity, what was that song that first got you into playing? Just curious. I definitely started at a lot younger age than you, probably around the same age as a lot of the guys on this board and I'll say this. If you have the drive and put in even a little time per day you can get there. I originally started playing in '96 when I got a friend to teach me a few songs right before the summer. They were all fairly simple songs; Smashing Pumpkins "Disarm," Everclear "Santa Monica" and Marilyn Manson "Sweet Dreams." We didn't get to hang out all summer because he hung out with friends and I had a summer job working in my parents restaurant at the time. I practiced every day and learned every single thing in the guitar world and guitar one magazines I had been buying at the time. A week or so before school started we got together and I was now the better player of the two of us. All it took was the time to practice the stuff in those magazines every single day. So dude, seriously, just go for it. If you want to learn this piece, learn it in pieces. Try like 20-30 seconds of it at a time every day. You'll probably have it by the end of the month. After that it'll just be about dialing in that same tone ;)

Out of curiosity, what was that song that first got you into playing? Just curious. I definitely started at a lot younger age than you, probably around the same age as a lot of the guys on this board and I'll say this. If you have the drive and put in even a little time per day you can get there. I originally started playing in '96 when I got a friend to teach me a few songs right before the summer. They were all fairly simple songs; Smashing Pumpkins "Disarm," Everclear "Santa Monica" and Marilyn Manson "Sweet Dreams." We didn't get to hang out all summer because he hung out with friends and I had a summer job working in my parents restaurant at the time. I practiced every day and learned every single thing in the guitar world and guitar one magazines I had been buying at the time. A week or so before school started we got together and I was now the better player of the two of us. All it took was the time to practice the stuff in those magazines every single day. So dude, seriously, just go for it. If you want to learn this piece, learn it in pieces. Try like 20-30 seconds of it at a time every day. You'll probably have it by the end of the month. After that it'll just be about dialing in that same tone ;)

Thanks for the encouragement! I will continue at the cost of my life. Guitar is fun and rewarding. Like I said earlier, its great to have people supporting me. Really feels like I am getting a private tutor. The song that got me into guitar at all is from my all time favorite band called X-Japan from I was just a teen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back