• Country

• Classical

• Jazz

• Bluegrass

• Other

• Internet Guitar

• Forum Virtuoso

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you. You know, I just had another good reality check tonight and it's all good. Just had rehearsal tonight for this Sunday's church service. I'm playing bass and our fairly new musical director is on guitar. He is SO good! I mean, the man can improvise anything right on the spot and it's always good. Granted, he's been playing guitar a lot longer than I have and while he's a huge inspiration the "reality check" is that I know I'll never be as good as he is. But you know what....that's okay. I'm not giving up nor am I looking down upon myself, just facing certain facts.

So I'm just going to forge forward the best I can, trying to get better and am going to keep on writing for myself. It's all good!
That is great! Be the best version of you possible. Work on things the best you can and God will provide the increase. :)

Mostly P&W, but with my own sound twists (tube amp gain and the like), and that is where I do my 'live' work.

At home I used to play stuff between dream theater, dire straits, satriani, toto, Guns n Roses and foo fighters. So on the rocky side of things.

I went with “other” as there’s just too much overlap in the stuff I play to go with just one main genre. If I had to pick just one, rock would probably cover more styles as it’s a pretty wide descriptor.

Me as well.... "blues-based rock, with a little occasional rockabilly and country thrown in", basically. I dabble in jazz and bluegrass, but neither are my wheelhouse.

I actually think about this often, in terms of how much I sound like my heroes/influences.... it's really hard to pin down, because it really depends on what "phase" I'm going through at the moment, also on the material I'm playing. One day I'm more SRV, one day I'm more Dan Baird/Rick Richards, one day I'm more David Grissom....

But my main guys, the guys I probably sound like the most, through osmosis of heavy music listening in my youth, are Sambora/Lukather/Schon/Keith Scott. Give me an epic stadium rocker with some gain and delay, and I'm off to the races LOL

Mostly P&W, but with my own sound twists (tube amp gain and the like), and that is where I do my 'live' work.

At home I used to play stuff between dream theater, dire straits, satriani, toto, Guns n Roses and foo fighters. So on the rocky side of things.
That's a cool mix. Any original P&W stuff or all covers?

I am a rock based player in a blues band. There are plenty of Classic Rock bands and tribute bands to go around. I retired my country rock Grateful Dead with a pedal steel player band, the surf band, and the jam band to focus on blues from the 40s through the 70s primarily.
I'm teaching a young fiddle player who wants to be a mando player fiddle tunes and bluegrass changes.

Last edited:
That's a cool mix. Any original P&W stuff or all covers?
Our church does a lot originals. We are in Holland what Hillsong is in Australia (Mozaiek Worship), although not the same "sound". So that is cool. Besides that we play the usual suspects (songs by Hillsong, Bethel, Worship Central, Casting Crowns, Matt Redman etc etc)

Our church does a lot originals. We are in Holland what Hillsong is in Australia (Mozaiek Worship), although not the same "sound". So that is cool. Besides that we play the usual suspects (songs by Hillsong, Bethel, Worship Central, Casting Crowns, Matt Redman etc etc)
That's cool. Sounds like a good time.

A mix of all that, but my favorite really is, like, old-school Metallica and that type of thrash... Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Anthrax, Death Angel, etc.
#Twins

- Don't forget Forbidden :)

- That new Exodus record is a ripper! Riffs galore!!

…my main guys, the guys I probably sound like the most, through osmosis of heavy music listening in my youth, are Sambora/Lukather/Schon/Keith Scott. Give me an epic stadium rocker with some gain and delay, and I'm off to the races LOL
Lukather!
If I could sound anywhere near him I could die fulfilled! :)

Consistently inconsistent...

Sell it baby! It is all in the presentation. ;)
Truth is, while I play metal, prog and blues, if I had to choose one that was the main one, it would be "hard rock" which is not in the poll. Van Halen and Ozzie type stuff would be #1. But I've put up one sample of my playing before, so I guess anyone who listened knew I wasn't a John Denver wannabe. :p

I'm a rocker at heart (includes metal, punk and alternative genres, whatever), but I have no real boundaries save for I just don't do classical or flamenco. Not a dislike (I just don't have the skill set for it), I love just about all music when it comes to guitar. 50 years ago I'd have said far different, but I didn't play a guitar then. WTF did I know then anyhoo...?

I did not see a category for noodling, so I did not vote.
I grow "bonsai" trees as a hobby; em, not professionally you understand. But there is a recognized form/style called "literati" which is essentially style of no style. A form that I am literally a master of, not unlike my playing skills haha. So I would certainly consider "noodling" a category based on my arborist and playing skills.

Back