What models sound best with 57/08’s?

Alessandro

Hello friends,

Having a tough time deciding which of my SE’s should get my new 57/08 pickups I picked up from the guitar shop in Mississauga Ontario Canada. I’ve currently got dragon II pickups in both my Zach Myers and custom 24 spalted maple SEs both from 2018. I have a leaning toward the Zach Myers in my gut but I’m wondering if anyone has tried them in both or at least a 245 and custom 24 and could give some input. Changing strings this weekend and hoping to make up my mind by then lol. I reckon I’m in for a big change in either guitar.

Also big time shout out to the guitar shop that gave a great deal. Not easy to get these pickups in Canada and importing them from stores in the States would have been easy $200 more with exchange and duty. They must be getting a great deal from prs as they priced them at a level that would take a loss after exchange but either way fantastic of them to pass on the deal to their customers as they certainly don’t have to. If you’re looking for a great prs dealer in the greater Toronto area or even just in Canada I would certainly hit them up first.

I say split the difference and put the 57/08 bridge in the 245 and the neck in the Custom 24.

The 57/08 in the bridge of the 245 will make it more of a traditional/vintage sounding guitar, and the 57/08 in the neck of the CU24 will give you a sweeter neck tone while still retaining the compressed harder rock bridge tone of the DII.

I love DII neck pickups, but they’re really better suited for 22 fret guitars. Whereas 24 fret guitars generally need all the help they can get with their neck pickups... 57/08’s really help with those guitars, I have them in two of my 24 fret guitars and they’re fantastic.

Lower the DII in the 245 even with the ring and bury the pole pieces a bit to match with the 57/08’s lower output.

I say split the difference and put the 57/08 bridge in the 245 and the neck in the Custom 24.

The 57/08 in the bridge of the 245 will make it more of a traditional/vintage sounding guitar, and the 57/08 in the neck of the CU24 will give you a sweeter neck tone while still retaining the compressed harder rock bridge tone of the DII.

I love DII neck pickups, but they’re really better suited for 22 fret guitars. Whereas 24 fret guitars generally need all the help they can get with their neck pickups... 57/08’s really help with those guitars, I have them in two of my 24 fret guitars and they’re fantastic.

Lower the DII in the 245 even with the ring and bury the pole pieces a bit to match with the 57/08’s lower output.

Did you just knock it out of the park on the first pitch?

I actually do already have my neck pickup on my ZM flush with pole pieces all the way down and I do love how it sounds already in that position and now that I think about it I can’t believe I didn’t think of this haha.

I definitely feel the lack in the neck pickup on my cu24 with the dragon II. Kinda regret trading my vintage bass pickup. My hfs was screaming a bit too much and squealing so I traded with a dude who said he wanted my set for the dragons regardless but I should be just swapped bridge pickups but hopefully this will do the trick.

Sergio for the win.

Word! I’d be very surprised if you miss the VB or the DII after putting the 57/08 in the CU24. Those neck pickups just kinda seem to “fix” 24 fret guitars.

Completely agree with this

I've got a Wood Library Custom 24 (used) that I picked up around the first of the year.
It was apparently ordered with a 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge.
I didn't catch the two different pickups till a couple weeks after buying it.
The combination sounds amazing, both in humbucker and single coil mode.

So finally got done with the installs today and really great improvements to my ears. The neck on my cu24 with the 57/08 is amazing now and next I’m throwing this spare set of dragon IIs in my tremonti SE! Batter up!

Back