What kind of strings?

Drewski

I've always been a big fan of D'Addario strings, and recently I've tried their new NY XL strings and I think they sound pretty smooth.

What kind of strings does everyone else use?

Also, specifically for your 408?

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalts in 9 - 42 on all of my guitars including my 408.

12.jpg

Either D'Addario 11-49s or Curt Mangan 11-48s on my standard tuned guitars. D'Addario 14-68 on my baritone.

Just plain old super slinkys... been using them since I started, been thinking about giving the cobalts a try though.

D'Addario EXL 11-52, except on my one PRS (A Cu22 stop tail), that has D'Addario EXL 12-60 for half step down, half stepped drop tunings (Drop C# etc..)

I have been very happy with these. I do not have acidic sweat, so they last a while. However, the do get changed before every gig. Practices, not so much.

Ernie Balls since the beginning for me... 10-46 Regular Slinky green package.

All of my heroes played them (Walsh, Felder, Richards, Page, Perry, Slash, Clapton, Young, etc) - and yes I'm one of those guys that uses what his heros use and am influenced by that.

I did try D'Addario's and did not like them at all. They burnt out quickly and felt stiff to me. Also the color ball ends drive me crazy as someone with OCD and likes things to match. It's not bad if they are in a trem block or string thru but if it's a stoptail I can see them and it drives me batty. I also tried Gibson strings which I seemed to break if I even blinked. Dunlop strings were good but I tended to find them a bit stiff. But they lasted a long time so props for that.

Elixir is great for acoustics - I use Medium Nanowebs. Never was a big fan of their electric strings.

All tunings and guitar dependant for me:

Ernie Slinkies: Standard [10-46 = Strat] / Drop C [11-48 = Tremonti SE] / C Standard & Drop B [12-56 = Eclipse]
D'Adds XLs: Drop C# [10.5-48 - Tremonti & Les Paul] B Standard & Drop A [Baritone 14-68 = SE Mushok]

Ernies have a little more zip and brightness out of the packet to my ear, however that only lasts about 10-14 days, but D'Adds have a more balanced sound and feel and dosnt seem to waver as time goes on. I only change strings about 3-4 times a year as i don't have time to change them more often.

PRS .010s. Pure nickel, sound great, feel great. They came on the guitars, and it ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it. ;)

I've been using the original version (STHB) for the past 5~ years, dabbled in the coated version a couple times when I knew I had multiple gigs in a month. I've always wondered about the Cobalt version, what are your thoughts and how do they compare to the originals?

Thanks.

Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Cobalt Strings (10-52)

Back