What is your second favorite guitar ?

At the moment, I only own PRS for guitars (I'm not counting my 1987 Peavey Patriot Bass). However, were I to venture to another maker, it'd most likely be Reverend. Ken Haas, Joe Naylor, and the Reverend crew have the same sort of innovative spirit that I love so much from PRS and crew.

I agree, I have never had a squire strat but I do own a jaguar and a tele with a Bigsby and the are fantastic guitars nothing wrong with them at all.
Nothing wrong with em at all. The electronics are the weakest element, but if you can spring for better pickups they really come alive.

As a side note, another of my fave secondary guitars is an Agile Hawker I got for $150. Basically, a PRS copy but with a few interesting quirks. They have full carved tops, flatter fretboard radii, and routing for a floyd. I replaced all the electronics and installed a Gotoh 1996t Floyd. Great axe, and built well. I do believe they are made at World Music in Korea. Not very different from an SE that was made there.

Last edited:
At the moment, I only own PRS for guitars (I'm not counting my 1987 Peavey Patriot Bass). However, were I to venture to another maker, it'd most likely be Reverend. Ken Haas, Joe Naylor, and the Reverend crew have the same sort of innovative spirit that I love so much from PRS and crew.

The Reverend stuff is awesome I have an electric 12 string and a older 6 string both are awesome and well worth the price.

The Reverend stuff is awesome I have an electric 12 string and a older 6 string both are awesome and well worth the price.

I've owned several, they're worth well more than they cost in my opinion. Great pickups, solid hardware, nice fretwork.

I keep a small stable of guitars and try to follow a "1-in, 1-out" and when I got my PRS I had to make a tough decision when I got my Cu24. Do I keep the Gibson custom shop SG or the 1982 Dan Smith Strat. I looooved that Smith strat, for those not in the know Dan Smith was a new exec who Fender brought in to turn things around. He shut everything down and make a handful of fantastic guitars in 1982. They are great (small neck though). In the end I decided to part with the Strat and keep my SG. I still miss that strat a lot but in the end, I've been an SG guy since the '80s. You have to be true to yourself!

02-SG-Custom-Thrownback-Front-View.jpg

I have to admit to a fondness for Ibanez HSS superstrats, but that's not my second-favorite. My favorite not-PRS guitar (and therefore my second-favorite) is Thorn GT #117. As they say about a great Telecaster, it's like hitting a grand piano with a sledgehammer!

thorn-flexi.png

MIM Basic Tele with Custom Shop Nocaster 51 pickup upgrade. White with maple neck and light greenish pickguard. Thing is as simple as can be, stays in tune forever, you forget all about the guitar and just play it…this is the sign of greatness. I resisted Tele’s for over 40 years before finally giving in and finding its Zen. Now I get it!! I love my PRS guitars and my CE-24 is my #1 but, there is something magic about my #2, a basic tele with good pickups!

Dude, I'm all about some Whitfill's. I've actually gotten to know Charles a bit over the last few years. He was actually born and raised near where I live so we know a lot of the same people. I've been fortunate enough to be his guest at Summer NAMM for the last several years (excluding 2020 and 2021 of course). I personally do not own a Whitfill, but I will someday soon. I've had the good fortune of being able to play dozens of them and, for my money, they are the best T-Style guitars on the market. Of course, I may be a bit biased. ;) That's a beauty right there.

Dude, I'm all about some Whitfill's. I've actually gotten to know Charles a bit over the last few years. He was actually born and raised near where I live so we know a lot of the same people. I've been fortunate enough to be his guest at Summer NAMM for the last several years (excluding 2020 and 2021 of course). I personally do not own a Whitfill, but I will someday soon. I've had the good fortune of being able to play dozens of them and, for my money, they are the best T-Style guitars on the market. Of course, I may be a bit biased. ;) That's a beauty right there.

I wondered if anyone would recognize this. Charles is a great dude. I'm from Bowling Green originally, moved to Nashville for college and stayed. I got invited to an amp clinic and one of the demo guitars was a Whitfill.

About a year later I went to the Nashville music gear expo and saw Charles had a booth so I told my friend we needed to go see those, they're about the best teles out there without shelling out for a vintage piece. So up we go and I have a Vince Gill lookalike. Charles says "hey, I think you need that red tele over there." That thing sounded like Brent Mason on every 90's record out there. So I made the biggest impulse buy I've ever done and took it home.

I had a neck pickup quit working and he just sent me a new one. I also needed new height adjustment screws because mine froze in place. So I called him and he says "Hey hang on a second, I have to finish up with Joe Walsh here. I'm dropping off the guitars he ordered today and I'm backstage." So I ask what thread depth and pitch he used so I could go get stainless screws and he just sent me a whole set of saddles.

That particular guitar is a 2015 and the only one I've seen that's Dakota red with an all maple neck from him.

I wondered if anyone would recognize this. Charles is a great dude. I'm from Bowling Green originally, moved to Nashville for college and stayed. I got invited to an amp clinic and one of the demo guitars was a Whitfill.

About a year later I went to the Nashville music gear expo and saw Charles had a booth so I told my friend we needed to go see those, they're about the best teles out there without shelling out for a vintage piece. So up we go and I have a Vince Gill lookalike. Charles says "hey, I think you need that red tele over there." That thing sounded like Brent Mason on every 90's record out there. So I made the biggest impulse buy I've ever done and took it home.

I had a neck pickup quit working and he just sent me a new one. I also needed new height adjustment screws because mine froze in place. So I called him and he says "Hey hang on a second, I have to finish up with Joe Walsh here. I'm dropping off the guitars he ordered today and I'm backstage." So I ask what thread depth and pitch he used so I could go get stainless screws and he just sent me a whole set of saddles.

That particular guitar is a 2015 and the only one I've seen that's Dakota red with an all maple neck from him.

Yeah man, he's a killer dude. So hospitable and everything. Since I've known him he has been so gracious with his guitars and invites to events and everything. Like you said, his guitars are the closest a person can get to vintage (imo anyway) without paying tens of thousands of dollars. He's been trying to get me to buy one, but.... I almost pulled the trigger on one before I bought my PRS. He'd probably kill me if he knew that!!! A Whitfill will more than likely be my next one though.

I love the ES guitars. Right now my favorite is a Heritage. One of the best ES style guitars I have owned. As far as I am concerned you can stay. But I ma a new guy so who knows ??? :) SG's are nice as well.
I've been an SG guy since 1969.

My second favorite?
Gotta be a good ES.

vBXUBsM.jpg

I like my PRS guitars just fine but they come in 3rd.
Can I stay in the forum anyway?
I like it here.

I love the ES guitars. Right now my favorite is a Heritage. One of the best ES style guitars I have owned. As far as I am concerned you can stay. But I ma a new guy so who knows ??? :) SG's are nice as well.
Heritage axes are fantastic values. Great alternatives to the Evil Empire. Would love to get an ES variety....once my PRS itch is scratched.

Back