What is your pick of choice?

This is one of those things that I put little to no thought into. I have for ever used dunlop .73's. That is when I play with a pick. I find that I am better and more stream of conscience when I play with my fingers. It's not a stinging attack to be sure, but I can play multiple strings with multiple outcomes as opposed to just one string at a time, no matter how fast.

Reactions: jxe
Dunlop tortex .88mm. Pretty thick since my have a heavy attack, but I hold it so I can angle it to hit the pick or my fingers a certain way to get a squeal or a softer attack depending on how I hold it. Works for me at least.

I’ve been happily playing the living snot out of a V-Picks Dimension Jr since November, but it’s getting pretty worn down. Just got a pack of Pickboy 150 jazz in tortoiseshell celluloid to try ‘em out, looking forward to digging in a bit this weekend.
Initial impression of the Pickboy 150 is that it’s a very nice celluloid pick. Gets a nice warm tone with a crisp attack and better precision than my Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs. The grip holes work pretty well to keep it in place, though it does seem to shift some while sixteenth chucking. Honestly every pick I own but the chunky V-Pick shifts when I chuck sixteenths.

28751156_1031895086963162_8335965582285340672_n.jpg

As this is still running I ought to mention the the finest pick material I have ever come across is the stuff they use to make Chicken Picks.

Its hard and will not buff into a shine, so it always retains a perfect satin like finish.

Most other similar picks are usually polished to a gleaming surface. Trouble is these 'chirp' in contact with the string. A bit like touching a slide to the string. Thats ok if you use the neck pickup on clean with a jazz type voicing (because then you cant hear it).

So the Chicken Picks have the mildest white noise when touched to the string. I have to use emery paper on other picks to get the same condition, but they always wear smooth again.

So there you have it. Chicken Picks dont chirp. If I knew what the stuff was I would buy some. I suspect its unique to the brand though.

I use two different picks. It's all about the hand burnished bevel. The Dunlop picks are easy to source and are $5 for a 3 pack. The Red Bear picks can be challenging to source and start at $30 each.

Red Bear Trading Company
Style No. 9
Extra Heavy
Right-Handed Speed Bevel

Dunlop Prime Tone Standard
Smooth
2.0mm
Right-Handed Speed Bevel

My first choice is "my fingers" whenever possible. Once I determine I need a pick, it can be any kind and either medium or heavy gauge. Presently experimenting with Dunlop max grips

Just ordered a blue chip. I have a feeling joining this board will be expensive.

Just ordered a blue chip. I have a feeling joining this board will be expensive.

You can take that to the bank! At least the Blue Chip is a little hit. Pricey, for a pick, but not in the area of an extra 16 guitars! You're right on the edge of the slippery slope though. All you need is a tiny nudge (that's not my hand on your back).

I used to think the thinner the better, until I gave the idea of a coin like Billy Gibbons a try. So then I started using the Dunlop big stubby and I came to like a thick pick.

One day in a local guitar store, I saw the V-picks and thought I'd try one. I love them! I lose them all of the time, and since they're quite expensive, I found that they make them in blue, so I bought those thinking it would be harder to lose. Now, if I could only remember where I stored them... LOL

I used to use the Pickboy mega-grip Picks but they seem very difficult to get nowadays - in the UK anyway. I prefer picks with a bit of 'grip'. I recently discovered the Dava picks - the Gels are great if you want the picks to glide over the strings but they also do nylon and even a metal tip version too. If I had to only have 1 pick, I would probably go with the Dava but I have quite a few ranging from .5 to a 3mm 'stubby' that I have collected over the years...

I really like Gravitypicks. I bought a pack initially to try out different ones and now mostly play the 1.5mm standard pointy or sunrise picks. Every so often I pick up a jazz 3 and it just feels so cheap and plastic after a couple of years with Gravitypicks.

You certainly got that right.

However, I’ve used Blue Chip picks for probably 4 years; I love the tone, they glide very smoothly through the strings when strumming and picking, and not one of them has shown any wear. I used to wear out the edges of my celluloid heavies and Ultex picks after only a few plays.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Odd question I know but theres so many players who play different picks and there could be some who play the same on here maybe? I once met a person who used the same pick as me and suprisingly just because of that we became good friends. My weapon of choice is a Dunlop Ultex 1.0 Sharp pick, great for fast picking and all around playing. I use .73 sometimes as well

Unless it's for a special purpose like recording acoustic or getting a certain sound that comes from stone or steel, I use Tortex yellow (.72m?) for electric work regardless of the guitar I'm playing at the time. I score mine with a knife so they're easier to hold on to and flex a bit more, and the yellow shows up well on a darkened stage.
Thanks

Back