What is your pick of choice?

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
Odd question I know but theres so many players who play different picks and there could be some who play the same on here maybe? I once met a person who used the same pick as me and suprisingly just because of that we became good friends. My weapon of choice is a Dunlop Ultex 1.0 Sharp pick, great for fast picking and all around playing. I use .73 sometimes as well

I carry an orange PRS pick in my pocket. At home I have a small collection of Red Bear and Timbertone picks.

I carry an orange PRS pick in my pocket. At home I have a small collection of Red Bear and Timbertone picks.
Ive never used any of the prs picks. Are they any good or are they just cheaply made like guitar center picks?

Ive never used any of the prs picks. Are they any good or are they just cheaply made like guitar center picks?

I think they are pretty good...they are a little Tortex-ish IMO. I have a pack of thin ones I won't use that I can send you if you want to try.

I think they are pretty good...they are a little Tortex-ish IMO. I have a pack of thin ones I won't use that I can send you if you want to try.
Nahh, I never really liked thin picks but I get what your saying. Tortex has that feel that I dont really like. I saw the abalone picks on the accessories shop so I might give those a shot

I used various timbertones wood picks for a few years. Really liked the sound and feel (they're quite grippy), but they wear down quite quickly and it doesn't take long to loose the point. I tried one of the stone tones (a stone/adhesive mix) and I really like the tone it makes, powerful and clear but still complex. Anyway, the wear was better but I've still worn off the point. I'm currently using a blue chip pick based off recommendations on here (as they are said to be indestructible) and so far it's holding up with no signs of wear. It doesn't have the complexity of sound or the power of the stone tone, but my picking accuracy has improved - and hopefully it'll last longer than my other picks

Dunlop Jazz 3 XL or Dunlop Petrucci's. Very similar picks. I have a stash of both. I love the percussive well defined sound these picks produce.

Nose. Scabs are a close second though.

I prefer other folks noses.

nhCFH2T.jpg

I just started using D'Andrea RADEX picks - like Dunlop Ultex but a bit less "scratchy". I'm using the .75 gauge.

LOL, what? The "hardened nose gold" - or the mandolin picks??

I stumbled across the 358 when I was a budding shredder. I was able to articulate my 64th notes very clearly because there was/is almost NO resistance from the pick. Later on, as I got more groove on my playing, I kept these picks because it was easy to spin and/or choke them back for me to pluck the strings with my fingers.

LOL, what? The "hardened nose gold" - or the mandolin picks??

I stumbled across the 358 when I was a budding shredder. I was able to articulate my 64th notes very clearly because there was/is almost NO resistance from the pick. Later on, as I got more groove on my playing, I kept these picks because it was easy to spin and/or choke them back for me to pluck the strings with my fingers.
Huh i may have to give it a try lol

I used Gibson Triangular (MEDIUM and HEAVY) for about 30 years. A few years back I experienced a crisis in my playing (long story) and realised that my alternating picking was not working properly. The problem turned out to be the pick. Since then I have collected samples just about every kind of pick imaginable (no RedBear though).

In fact, in a 3 year period, I could have afforded another SE guitar had I saved all the money I spent on picks. That money was well spent though. I wrote a couple of reviews and articles about picks for SongStuff during that period.

Nowadays I use either a V-Pick Psycho or one of my own. This is one of the picks I made.

7zVOrvo.jpg

This is the workbench I use to make or modify picks (a stone pick is in the vice)
pyv0ftt.jpg

These are some picks I have collected and reviewed.
KRp9H7C.jpg

Reactions: Gac
Back