What is your next PRS and why?

I got a heavily modded 2004 SE Cherry Red soapbar II just before Christmas (Tonerider humbucker at the bridge and a black scratch plate fitted)... it was my first foray in PRS ! I was stunned at the quality and playability and sound but slightly miffed at the mods. Even if I restored it, there would be screw holes all over it. Then just after Christmas I got a deal on beautiful 2018 Bernie Marsden in deep cherry (only 100 made for Europe), again a stunning guitar , again both pups replaced with Tonerider TRH2 (trade off is single coil tap for no tone function)...but there at least it came with the original pups in the gig bag (jury is out whether or not to put them back in)..Sooo Jonesing and looking around I found a 2005 Soapbar II maple in green in the UK and have decided to buy that and compare and contrast with the other soapbar ...Either the first soapbar goes, the second get flipped, or the '78 Ibanez MC300 moves on and I have 3 SE's on the wall...I'll post some pics when I'm allowed...

I got a heavily modded 2004 SE Cherry Red soapbar II just before Christmas (Tonerider humbucker at the bridge and a black scratch plate fitted)... it was my first foray in PRS ! I was stunned at the quality and playability and sound but slightly miffed at the mods. Even if I restored it, there would be screw holes all over it. Then just after Christmas I got a deal on beautiful 2018 Bernie Marsden in deep cherry (only 100 made for Europe), again a stunning guitar , again both pups replaced with Tonerider TRH2 (trade off is single coil tap for no tone function)...but there at least it came with the original pups in the gig bag (jury is out whether or not to put them back in)..Sooo Jonesing and looking around I found a 2005 Soapbar II maple in green in the UK and have decided to buy that and compare and contrast with the other soapbar ...Either the first soapbar goes, the second get flipped, or the '78 Ibanez MC300 moves on and I have 3 SE's on the wall...I'll post some pics when I'm allowed...

Congratulations on the new guitars. You have already discovered the slope is indeed slippery!

We’d all love to see some pics of your harem, when you can, unless you have already shared and then I’ll keep schtum.

Either Fiore or something on P90's. I also considering goldtop McCarty which I could change pickups to HSP90's.

Why? I have single coil itch I can't shake off. I'm also P90's sick for looooong time

Last week, new CE-24 Semi-hollow. Not yet sure about the Pattern Thin neck, but it makes my plinking around sound like lovely plinking.

Tomorrow, according to FedEx, NF3. Because, Core with 57/08 Narrowfields. DUH.

Last edited:
Probably nothing. I can't really afford the guitars I look at much anymore, plus I don't see myself doing many full-band gigs down the road. Concentrating on my future - acoustic.

Lol, I have been designing my latest "ultimate" guitar. Of course, it's a PS (which I'll probably never be able to get, but it's still fun to design).

The latest:

MEV meets 594. Basically take a simple 594 and the pickups/switching of the MEV. Here's the interesting part....

I want to keep the 4 knob and toggle on the horn layout. What I'd end up with is 3 volumes and a master tone. The top horn toggle would control neck/bridge. Their coil taps would be push/pull on the volume pots. The back, bottom pot would be volume for the middle pickup. The back. Top pot would be master tone. The 250/500 switch could be added in front of the volume pots.

Now, to access the middle pickup I would want to add another 3 way toggle. It would function as so:

Down = middle off
Middle = single coil added
Up = single by itself

I was playing with my MEV the other day, rearranging rigs in my Helix and toying around with a bunch of amp plugins. I was realizing that I miss the ability to add/subtract volume ratio between the neck/bridge pickups. Then I was using some in-between settings and realized that for some tones I'd prefer the middle pickup blended in a bit less.

All of that gave me the idea of having the volumes like mixer faders. I could balance each pickup to the tone I am wanting to achieve - essentially making the guitar more responsive in the song writing/recording environment.

Regarding woods, it could just be a Core guitar for all I care!! Gimme regular 'hog, a quilt top....scarlett red top, natural back. Indian rosewood, abalone birds, signature on the headstock. I don't even care about the bridge. Was thinking about how I love the adjustable stoptail....

Meh, it's fun to dream!!

Sell my 98 CE24 and hopefully find a CE22 or get something in the S2 range with 22 frets. I have the single cut semi-hollow and an S2 Custom 22 semi-hollow already. Like the neck carve and the 22 frets on both.

Had the CE-24 listed on Facebook market place, and pulled it. The low ballers were out in force. Had someone offer me $300. Going to re-list again and try reverb as well sooner or later. No rush.

Same here, SS SE on pre-order.

Mainly because I needed/wanted a SSS guitar, I prefer the SE SS to anything out there with a SSS configuration. I wanted one because ya know, it's a PRS, plus, I didn't want to spend US SS money because. I've been saving for a DGT for a minute.

But my next, next guitar will be a DGT...why? Because...They're FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Back