What is your go to Rig?

Great gear, Bob. Are both Mesa cabs the Rectos? I want one of their Road King 2x12s-- one close-backed 12" and one open. They can be run independently, in stereo, or mono. I hear they are heavy suckers, though.

My go to rig changes, depending on the band. When I don't have a lot of covers to play, my choice is my 513 through a Jetter Jet drive, into a THD BiValve and Mesa Lonestar 1x12 or Theile 1x12. It ROCKS!

Many of us have several different and elaborate setups....others have one special rig that's just perfect for them.

photo-24.jpg

Lately mine has been a cu22 into a JHS Klone plugged into the recording amp through a Mesa Recto Cab 212 loaded V30's.

Although I'm always a sucker for a Mesa Recto....

What is your go to rig?

I still want that recording amp!

Wouldn't mind trying a cab with a c90 on one side and a v30 on the other

I tried that with a Tremoverb combo about 7-8 years ago. I thought it'd sound great, but wound up returning it to stock with 2 V30s. I love the Mesa C90 in pairs or in a 112, but paired with V30s, something seemed off. YMMV.

Great setup, though, Bob, and yours sounds cool, too, Egads!

My current rig is pretty simple, as you probably know. Depending on the needs of the project, I play either an SC58, A-V or Sig Ltd into the HX/DA. I can bypass my pedal board completely with a switchbox, or run into a Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone '69, Deja Vibe, and/or TC Nova delay as necessary. I do most things bypassing the board, but every project is different. I mean, really different! LOL From the amp, the sound goes to a Mesa Recto 212 like Bob's.

Fortunately, the amp can handle just about any need, and when it can't (so far this hasn't happened), I can either borrow or rent something from another studio, or use modelers. But the HXDA is "my" sound to a degree I've never felt before, even with my very nicest amps, so I'm pretty darn happy!

The '69 pedal is great for truly authentic late 60s tones, but the amp is capable of so much more than classic rock or Allman/Jimi tones that it constantly amazes me.

In general I'm using the Artist V as my basic rock guitar, and for cool and interesting textures as well; the SC58 is great for when I want heavier, darker or even jazzy/bluesy tones, and I'm discovering that I like the Sig for the bright, chimey stuff, either split or not. I really feel this is an ideal setup.

Finally, because it is, after all, a working recording rig, I tend to use a Royer 121 into a Focusrite ISA preamp, sometimes with an Audix i5 or SM57 added for a blend. The Focusrite blue preamps have switchable impedance, which is important for a ribbon mic that likes to see around 1500 ohms or more. I like to run the 57 into a tube UA 610 or equivalent, or an API preamp, again, depending on how aggressive I want the track to sound.

As for software and processors, I have some secret guitar weapons. ;)

Last edited:
Go-to rig for recording is my Strat, Bernie (Hopefully my new SE C24) into my Laney Lionheart L5T-112 via a few choice pedals. For practice it's a little Fender Mustang 1.

When I get gigging again it's possibly going to be a Laney VC-30 2x12 or a Blackstar of some description... Maybe....

My current rig is simple but solid: Hughes and Kettner Triamp mk2 through a Diezel front load cab. Love the Triamp, surprised more guys don't use one. One of the most versatile amps I have owned or played!

PRS Sig -> Klone -> 65 Amps Empire quarter stack.

Thank you, and good night :)

I've picked up a Mark V and getting a TC G-System next week. I'll control the Mark V via MIDI (Amp Gizmo) and thinking it's going to be a great live rig for what I do (I need versatility)

...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.
That's some tasty stuff when Rivera get ahold of a Twin or Bassman. I recently sold a Twin II that I bought new in '85 and will probably regret because it was SO nice. If you're a fan of his stuff, the Rivera-era Fender amps are pretty nice stuff.

I too like the old Boogie half-back cabs, and for modern rock they kill with a slight vintage vibe when loaded exclusively with C90s.
stack1.jpg

The EVs are great, but can get icepicky with my old Boogie in high gain situations.

The current go-to rig is the Super Dallas w/ pine 2x12 cab (V30s) and it continues to amaze me. By itself it is HUGE, defiant, crunchy but in the mix all those balls are absorbed, allowing me to turn up pretty darned loud to let the amp breathe. The pedalboard is really simple with a boost, couple of dirt boxes, a tuner, a vibe and 2 delays.

sdallas1.jpg

Mainly this:

LesternLucyGatPrimerGREEN.jpg

with bits of this sprinkled in to taste, ONLY to serve the song:

4b1153693c0eff36171c4db7d092a55e.jpg

USED TO be this:

d21b37b9.jpg

I know I know! You have dibs if I sell it. Hey by the way I know you dig the high gain thing too....the Rivera kr100 with the Los LoBottom sub is just about the angriest most pissed off rig you could ever play...you should give one a shot if you ever get the chance...the hi pass filter is insane. The Los LoBottom has 2 v30's on the top and a single 12 inch sub on the bottom...at 300 watts for the sub and 100 conservatively rated from the head....it is mean! I would love to put Bryan S's PS through it! Or Mike's new seven!

oh yeah the KR100 also has one of the best clean channels I have ever heard...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.

Thanks. I just raised enough money to either buy a Friedman BE-100 or a PRS Recording amp. Picking one is going to be tough.

I love to run this in stereo and/or Vox clean, Boogie dirty.

MyRig.jpg

The Vox is a '97 made in UK reissue.

Kerry, Nice Rig(s)! I see a name change in your future..Boogie to SupaD

Ha! No kidding Mike! It's tough to switch gears so drastically like this, but the Super D is delivering the goods...and it didn't take me 3 months to dial it in. ;)

DirtyM inspired me to take a new photo (SWEET stuff, BTW). Since we're refinishing the basement (office/mini studio here I come!) my important gear is upstairs with the rest of my gig stuff. The giant Bandmaster 2x12 cab and Bassman 100's monstrous 4x12 are the only things missing. The days of my lugging those upstairs routinely are soon to be gone.
rigs1.jpg

Bob, I've always wanted a Mesa Thiele cab for one of my EV12Ls to stack under the combo. It's a fabled combination.

Tony, that is a magnificent rig. :rock:

Last edited:
The giant Bandmaster 2x12 cab and Bassman 100's monstrous 4x12 are the only things missing. The days of my lugging those upstairs routinely are soon to be gone.

I had that Bandmaster setup, too, and you are not kidding about having to haul that bastid around! I took the back off the cab to see if Leo had lost a toolbox or a couple bricks while building it!

Mainly this:

LesternLucyGatPrimerGREEN.jpg

with bits of this sprinkled in to taste, ONLY to serve the song:

4b1153693c0eff36171c4db7d092a55e.jpg

USED TO be this:

d21b37b9.jpg
Love your rig man, btw does this towel smell like chloroform :evil: (runs away cackling maniacally with BG's favorite DGT)
As far as myself I am unable to post pics at the moment but right now my go to rig is pretty straight forward

513 or DGT ===> Lovepedal Kanji 9 ===> Bogner 20th anniv. Shiva head ===> Marshall 2x12 cabs

Back