What is your blues pedal in PRS

I find the Euphoria does all sorts of interesting, different things,,,at least in the studio here. Maybe I'd share your sentiment were I trying to play out with it.
I'm using a Boss Chorus CE-5 and going into a THD Univalve(12 inch Avatar bottom), and also into a Quilter MP200, with an 8 built in, and also with a Mesa one 12 bottom.
Most of my amps are tube amps that have a Fender or Fender type circuit in them. Although I have a few others. I just couldn't get that thing to sound good for me at all. I was surprised with as many OD pedals as I have from various makers that I had that much trouble with it. On paper it is in the lane of what I like. It gets a lot of good reviews too. I felt pretty safe buying it. I have even thought about getting another one to see if my opinion of it has changed but I don't want to lose more money on another one when I sell it because I still fell the same way, if I feel the same as I did before.

I have all of the Friedman OD pedals. The Dirty Shirley is my favorite of them. That one has been on my board for a good while. The Buxom Boost is a nice pedal. I also have the Golden Pearl and like that one too.

Yeah, the Dirty Shirley is a trip! That Buxom Boost is overall one of the most useful pedals I've had. Don't have the Golden Pearl, just the ones stated. The Smallbox is pretty good, too.

I think the THD is essentially a Fender style circuit, but I don't really know.

Like people say, the Quilter is VERY tube like in its response. It's VERY loud, too. :)

Yeah, the Dirty Shirley is a trip! That Buxom Boost is overall one of the most useful pedals I've had. Don't have the Golden Pearl, just the ones stated. The Smallbox is pretty good, too.

I think the THD is essentially a Fender style circuit, but I don't really know.

Like people say, the Quilter is VERY tube like in its response. It's VERY loud, too. :)
I have the Smallbox too. I like it better than the BE-OD.

This is a killer little pedal. Crowther Hot Cake.

Great for blues and it doesn't sound nasal or honky like a Tube Screamer. Very smooth but lots of gain and sustain.

Works great with single coils, especially with my Silver Sky. I've been using it plugged into my old Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion G12H30 speaker.

Check one out if you get a chance. They aren't cheap (about $300) but they're great!

You have to try one for yourself. None of the Youtube demos do it justice, especially those using a guitar with humbuckers.

Everyone sets it up to sound too distorted and fuzzy.

Last edited:

Great for blues and it doesn't sound nasal or honky like a Tube Screamer. Very smooth but lots of gain and sustain.

Works great with single coils, especially with my Silver Sky. I've been using it plugged into my old Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion G12H30 speaker.

Check one out if you get a chance. They aren't cheap (about $300) but they're great!

You have to try one for yourself. None of the Youtube demos do it justice, especially those using a guitar with humbuckers.

Everyone sets it up to sound to distorted and fuzzy.

Just discovered this video. Paul Reed Smith digs it too!

He goes for more dirt, fuzz and distortion than I set mine up for, especially when I play blues and the music I like to play.

But he seems to love it!

Last edited:
It's interesting to see the mix of pedals , it also shows how people define the tone of the Blues . Such a wide gamut from Hubert Sumlin , and Muddy ,and Buddy Guy to the searing blues of SRV's , Satriani etc

I love the most elemental setups for "authentic" old style , but for the more high Octane variety I'd throw pretty much the whole kitchen sink depending on the song . A bit of Univibe/Reverb from my Keeley Hooke , thick tube boost /drive with my Fender MTG Tube distortion and a bit of Trem from my TC Stereo Chorus/Trem/Flanger

It's interesting to see the mix of pedals , it also shows how people define the tone of the Blues . Such a wide gamut from Hubert Sumlin , and Muddy ,and Buddy Guy to the searing blues of SRV's , Satriani etc

I love the most elemental setups for "authentic" old style , but for the more high Octane variety I'd throw pretty much the whole kitchen sink depending on the song . A bit of Univibe/Reverb from my Keeley Hooke , thick tube boost /drive with my Fender MTG Tube distortion and a bit of Trem from my TC Stereo Chorus/Trem/Flanger

As great as he was (and he was GREAT!) I think of SRV's playing as being Blues Rock. Even his brother Jimmie Vaughan accused Stevie of sounding like Robin Trower.

When I want to hear blues I put on Muddy Waters, Albert King, BB King, Howlin Wolf...those kind of guys. Some Paul Butterfield with Mike Bloomfield too.

Guess I grew up on the old stuff and that's what I think of when it comes to blues.

Seems like younger players just want to play endless solos.

I want to hear a real singer too!

Everyone sets it up to sound too distorted and fuzzy.

I always wanted to try one of these. I saw a band one night where the guitar player was using one of these. His tone was fantastic. He had a plexiglass shield in front of his amp so he could get it cooking and then hit it with this pedal. I wanted a shield and this pedal after that. I never came across one of these and then they stopped making them.

As great as he was (and he was GREAT!) I think of SRV's playing as being Blues Rock. Even his brother Jimmie Vaughan accused Stevie of sounding like Robin Trower.

When I want to hear blues I put on Muddy Waters, Albert King, BB King, Howlin Wolf...those kind of guys. Some Paul Butterfield with Mike Bloomfield too.

Guess I grew up on the old stuff and that's what I think of when it comes to blues.

Seems like younger players just want to play endless solos.

I want to hear a real singer too!

And for me it was SRV that really drew me into blues at a much deeper level. This was in the time of hair metal and he was very different than that.

I always wanted to try one of these. I saw a band one night where the guitar player was using one of these. His tone was fantastic. He had a plexiglass shield in front of his amp so he could get it cooking and then hit it with this pedal. I wanted a shield and this pedal after that. I never came across one of these and then they stopped making them.

And for me it was SRV that really drew me into blues at a much deeper level. This was in the time of hair metal and he was very different than that.
Yep. SRV was the reason for the blues revival in the 80's that's still raging today. He was one of the greats.

For me it was the Rolling Stones first couple of albums. And the Animals. It was the Brit bands that turned us onto the blues back in the early 60's.

There's tons of blues and R&B on the first couple of Rolling Stones albums. Little Red Rooster, Route 66, Can I Get A Witness...

Last edited:
depends on the guitar and pickup I use. I love the Archer IKON on neck pups ...MXR Timmy is great overall OD ...also my Boss Blues Driver Waza and my Boss OD 3 . It depends on my mood.

Back