What is your blues pedal in PRS

There are several I've personally tried and liked for a while:

"Simble" Overdrive
J Rockett "Blue Note Pro Series"
Zendrive

Each of these recreate a famous "D" amp style tone (because of copyright issues, we usually don't mention the name) that Robben Ford and Larry Carlton utilized regularly.

The Timmy is also a great pedal, though it's tuned as a glorified TS808 platform than anything else. If perhaps you desire a more subtle smooth "singing" lead overdrive like the "D" amp, the above choices are one way to acquire that tone.

Lately I like the Zendrive style best for my humbucker guitars. I use a clone that I made at home. The Voice control is super handy for cleaning up the midrange.

In the past for me it was the Simble and before that the Xotic AC Booster.

Hay varios que personalmente probé y me gustaron durante un tiempo:

Overdrive "simple"
J Rockett "Serie Blue Note Pro"
Zendrive

Cada uno de estos recrea un famoso tono de estilo de amplificador "D" (debido a problemas de derechos de autor, generalmente no mencionamos el nombre) que Robben Ford y Larry Carlton utilizaron regularmente.

El Timmy también es un gran pedal, aunque está sintonizado como una plataforma TS808 glorificada que cualquier otra cosa. Si tal vez desea una saturación principal de "canto" suave más sutil como el amplificador "D", las opciones anteriores son una forma de adquirir ese tono.
Fantastic answer. Thanks friend

I play similar music as you. Here is what is on my board ATM

1. Source Audio Zio - I use this a lot. It is a clean boost pedal
2. Greer Lightspeed - Use when I want just a bit of OD
3. J Rockett Blue Note - Use when I want a moderate amount of OD
4. J Rockett The Dude - Use as my distortion pedal

Each of these recreate a famous "D" amp style tone (because of copyright issues, we usually don't mention the name) that Robben Ford and Larry Carlton utilized regularly.
There are no copyright issues in mentioning a name. It's not a creative, authored work within the purview of the copyright laws.

A name can be a trademark (both statutory and/or common law), but since you're not using Dumble on a product there can be no theoretical 'confusion in the marketplace', and you're not violating even a protected trademark simply mentioning the name, either on a forum, or for that matter, in a published article, video, etc.

It's no different from mentioning PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc., and in fact those are registered trademarks. I don't know if Dumble even bothered to register his trademark when he was alive and still making amps. I suppose it's possible he may have, but for the purpose of mentioning the brand in an internet post, no worries whether he did or didn't.

I'd say you're safe.

Last edited:
Well Albert King, BB King, Freddie King and Duane Allman didn't use overdrive pedals for blues, and I usually don't either.

But I do use a Wampler Ego compressor sometimes for a clean boost. Especially when I'm playing somewhere that I can't turn up my amp.

Which is just about everywhere these days.

Here's my board with my favorite boost/overdrive pedals on it. Ego, Klon KTR and Dover Drive.

The Dover Drive does the Cliffs of Dover thing well. Even Eric Johnson uses one for clinics and small gigs.

I have others, including an OCD I bought because Paul Reed Smith recommended it. But I don't like it.

Like Lewguitar, I rarely use a dirt pedal on bluesy or jazzy stuff, though sometimes I use a clean boost or a low gain overdrive set just enough to slightly color the tone, but not distort it unless the guitar volume is turned up (I generally play with the guitar backed off to 5-8).

Lew's right that most of the original blues stuff was done straight into an amp, though notably, Stevie Ray Vaughan used a Tube Screamer into a splitter and then into a Dumble Steel String Singer, and Marshall Plexis (and I guess Majors) and/or Fender Super Reverbs, Vibroverbs, Bassmans, etc. And of course there have been others who used pedals; Hendrix used a fuzz face to play blues, and wahs.

The pic is my current pedalboard. The silver pedal on the far bottom right is a low gain overdrive, almost clean. The maroon pedal in the middle is low to medium gain, but I set it very low. Each of them has a different tone color. Silver is more Tweed, maroon is more AC30. Both are by Pettyjohn. There are a couple of clean boosts that sound a little different as well.

These go via a rack mount amp switcher into a PRS HXDA (plexi style amp), PRS DG30 (kind of a cross between several old school amps), a Mesa Fillmore (Tweed style) and Lone Star (black panel style). The amps are set just on the edge of breakup most of the time so I can control the gain with the guitar volume knob. All are tube amps. The gods of Blues will hassle you in your sleep if you use a modeler. ;)

Too much information, right? o_O

7TVIKPg.jpg

Last edited:
I use a number of overdrive pedals for different gain structures and tonal qualities on my board.. blues and Bluesrock mainly…
my guitars listed below…. guitar cabs loaded with Scumback M65’s, M55’s
All powered by the extraordinary pedalboard Amp1, 100 watt analog/tube amp run on the clean (JTM45] channel.

Zendrive. The White/Silver version. My fave out of many versions that Lovepedal has built with Alf Hermida….
Caline Big orange for mild crunch. very cool low gain . Don’t let the price fool ya…
Caline Orangeburst. Lots of mids. Based off the BB, but better voiced, imho…owned both at one time
Tone City Model S……Lots of smooth low mids. It does sound like my old SLO 100 on 6.. amazing pedal
Onkel naga Viper variation treble booster/ JTM50/JCM800 double overdrive
never saw the need for spending $400 on an overdrive

Last edited:
Bueno, Albert King, BB King, Freddie King y Duane Allman no usaban pedales de overdrive para el blues, y yo tampoco.

Pero a veces uso un compresor Wampler Ego para un impulso limpio. Especialmente cuando estoy tocando en algún lugar donde no puedo subir mi amplificador.

Que está casi en todas partes en estos días.

Aquí está mi tablero con mis pedales boost/overdrive favoritos. Ego, Klon KTR y Dover Drive.

El Dover Drive hace bien lo de los acantilados de Dover. Incluso Eric Johnson usa uno para clínicas y pequeños conciertos.

Tengo otros, incluido un TOC que compré porque me lo recomendó Paul Reed Smith. Pero no me gusta

Maravilloso!!!

Utilizo varios pedales de overdrive para diferentes estructuras de ganancia y calidades tonales en mi tablero... blues y bluesrock principalmente...
mis guitarras se enumeran a continuación…. cabinas de guitarra cargadas con Scumback M65, M55
Todo alimentado por la extraordinaria pedalera Amp1, un amplificador de válvulas/analógico de 100 vatios que funciona en el canal limpio (JTM45).

Zendrive. La versión Blanca/Plata. Mi favorito de muchas versiones que Lovepedal ha construido con Alf Hermida….
Caline Big orange para un crujido suave. ganancia baja muy fresca. Que no te engañe el precio...
Caline Orangeburst. Muchos medios. Basado en el BB, pero con mejor voz, en mi humilde opinión... poseía ambos al mismo tiempo
Tone City Model S……Muchos medios bajos suaves. Suena como mi viejo SLO 100 en 6... increíble pedal
Onkel naga Viper variación treble booster/ JTM50/JCM800 doble sobremarcha
1000 thank you friend

Like Lewguitar, I rarely use a dirt pedal on bluesy or jazzy stuff, though sometimes I use a clean boost or a low gain overdrive set just enough to slightly color the tone, but not distort it unless the guitar volume is turned up (I generally play with the guitar backed off to 5-8).

Lew's right that most of the original blues stuff was done straight into an amp, though notably, Stevie Ray Vaughan used a Tube Screamer into a splitter and then into a Dumble Steel String Singer, and Marshall Plexis (and I guess Majors) and/or Fender Super Reverbs, Vibroverbs, Bassmans, etc. And of course there have been others who used pedals; Hendrix used a fuzz face to play blues, and wahs.

La foto es mi pedalera actual. El pedal plateado en el extremo inferior derecho es un overdrive de baja ganancia, casi limpio. El pedal granate en el medio tiene una ganancia de baja a media, pero lo configuré muy bajo. Cada uno de ellos tiene un tono de color diferente. El plateado es más Tweed, el granate es más AC30. Ambos son de Pettyjohn. Hay un par de impulsos limpios que también suenan un poco diferentes.

Estos van a través de un conmutador de amplificador de montaje en rack a un PRS HXDA (amplificador de estilo plexi), PRS DG30 (una especie de cruce entre varios amplificadores de la vieja escuela), un Mesa Fillmore (estilo Tweed) y Lone Star (estilo de panel negro). Los amplificadores están al borde de la ruptura la mayor parte del tiempo, así que puedo controlar la ganancia con la perilla de volumen de la guitarra. Todos son amplificadores de válvulas. Los dioses del blues te molestarán mientras duermes si usas un modelador.;)

Demasiada información, ¿verdad? o_O

7TVIKPg.jpg
I love this. I learn a lot. Thanks mate!!!

the only thing I use for blues is an Xotic Sweet Sauce booster with the mids bumped , the amps take care of the rest

Toco música similar a la tuya. Esto es lo que hay en mi tablero ATM

1. Source Audio Zio: lo uso mucho. Es un pedal de impulso limpio.
2. Greer Lightspeed: úsalo cuando solo quiero un poco de OD
3. J Rockett Blue Note - Usar cuando quiero una cantidad moderada de OD
4. J Rockett The Dude - Úsalo como mi pedal de distorsión
I appreciate this information a lot. You are very kind with me friend.

My two favorites are a Zendrive variant (I have the Lovepedal Black Magic and love it) and the Barber Gain Changer. Both are great enough and different enough that I couldn’t sell either.

Last edited by a moderator:

The pic is my current pedalboard. The silver pedal on the far bottom right is a low gain overdrive, almost clean. The maroon pedal in the middle is low to medium gain, but I set it very low. Each of them has a different tone color. Silver is more Tweed, maroon is more AC30. Both are by Pettyjohn. There are a couple of clean boosts that sound a little different as well.

These go via a rack mount amp switcher into a PRS HXDA (plexi style amp), PRS DG30 (kind of a cross between several old school amps), a Mesa Fillmore (Tweed style) and Lone Star (black panel style). The amps are set just on the edge of breakup most of the time so I can control the gain with the guitar volume knob. All are tube amps. The gods of Blues will hassle you in your sleep if you use a modeler. ;)

Too much information, right? o_O

7TVIKPg.jpg
Those PettyJohn pedals are so good; I have the Gold, the Iron and the Fuze. I really should dig them out; since using my Helix I've not used standalone pedals. Maybe time to revisit them!

Back