What is the value of a 2008 used Korina McCarty?

JDelage

What is the value of a 2008 used Korina McCarty? There is one for sale close to me at $1,600. It has the large gold pick-ups. I'm not sure if it's the Brazilian rosewood version.

Last edited:
Ah, my apologies. I saw at least one discussion that mentioned price. I thought it was OK.

no worries. the mods dont catch all of them. i would send a PM to a few of the experienced members. They can tell ya. :)

Retail prices... as in "new stuff"... I've never seen anyone object to helping people figure out the value of used gear.

Put your question back up, JDelage.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;136158 said:
Retail prices... as in "new stuff"... I've never seen anyone object to helping people figure out the value of used gear.

Put your question back up, JDelage.

if used gear pricing is acceptable, my apologies. I certainly didn't mean to play hall monitor. I believe the OP wanted to know if $1600 was a good price for a Korina McCarty.

$1600 would be a fair price for one of the first run McKorinas that had BRW fretboards. The later run guitars are $1300 - $1500

Thanks. Is there a way to recognize the BRW fretboard?

How good is your sniffer?

Or, you could take the easy route. :) Check the MODCAT code under the pickups. There will be some decoding required so let us know what it is. I think someone may have rebuilt the auto-decoder but I don't have the URL.

An easier way, if it has birds, is old birds (i.e. not outline birds) = Brazilian Rosewood.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;136226 said:
How good is your sniffer?

Or, you could take the easy route. :) Check the MODCAT code under the pickups. There will be some decoding required so let us know what it is. I think someone may have rebuilt the auto-decoder but I don't have the URL.

Use this link to get to the decoder: My MODCAT thread

The best way to tell if it's a brazilian board is by looking at the manufacturing code. Sometimes there is a little PRS tag that has all the info or there is a white sticker on the case. It should say MCK2-KFBBS etc.. The part after the dash stands for k for Korina neck, F is wide fat, B is brazilian, next B is for "old birds", S is straight (non adjustable) stop tail bridge. If it says MCK2-KFIB etc. It's not brazilian. I think its towards the lower end of the price range and you could probably get most of your money back if you wanted to resell it. I love mine. It's a keeper. I paid around $1700 used. I think they were originally around $2500 new. I think the neck plays a major part in determining if people dig it or not. I happen to like the thicker neck. It's not clumsy thick like some gibson.

Last edited:
Back