What is the role of the resistors on the DGT tap section?

Dan-d-1985

Perpetual lurker
As per the title, i'm curious about the 1.1k and 2.2k resistors. What are the benefit to having them as the path to ground?

Is it playing on RC filter circuit lines and changing cutoff frequency so the sounds are darker or something along those lines (or completely not :( ).

Has anyone played about with different res values?

Thanks in advance

Dan.

When the tone pot is pulled, splitting the coils, instead of having a direct line grounding out one coil completely while the other remains active, the resistors act to only partially shut off the one coil while the other stays on. The result is less of a volume drop and a fatter single coil tone, more like what a real single coil would sound like. I have done this mod to my baritone and Santana SE with great success. It works really well.

As far as the values are concerned, I have just been using 2.2K on everything, neck and bridge. I'm sure it's a matter of personal preference but I lack the kind of time needed to really play around with it.

When the tone pot is pulled, splitting the coils, instead of having a direct line grounding out one coil completely while the other remains active, the resistors act to only partially shut off the one coil while the other stays on. The result is less of a volume drop and a fatter single coil tone, more like what a real single coil would sound like. I have done this mod to my baritone and Santana SE with great success. It works really well.

As far as the values are concerned, I have just been using 2.2K on everything, neck and bridge. I'm sure it's a matter of personal preference but I lack the kind of time needed to really play around with it.

Thanks for the info, really useful.

I'm thinking of applying this to my HFS/VB, so just curious as to if I would get much benefit.

Further mod incoming.... ^_^

Back