What Is The Meaning of Life, Father?

My purpose thus far is to be the rock my wife needs, to offer guidance to our kids and to make this world a happier place to the best of my abilities.

I am amazed at how much guidance our adult children still need. The strange part is I bounce issues off of my own dad but I never feel like I'm out of control of my own affairs.

I feel like it can be a fairly heavy burden at times but as long as I can take long trips on my ultra classic, get away with my wife and enjoy music I'm good.

I must add, my wife is in the kitchen preparing food. There is classic 70s music playing and I'm enjoying coffee.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah.........................

Why do people insist on ascribing meaning to everything?

Probably because they project their point of view on the things they experience.
I came up with this in college, and have said it often since: “Perspective is 90% of reality.” I thought it was pretty good then and still do. It’s simple but a bit profound. The way we look at things IS our reality, and two different people look at the exact same thing in different ways, due to their perspective.

"To win a fight is not the greatest skill. To win without fighting is the greater skill"
Funakoshi Gichin
Simplistic but true. I do not strive to be the best there is, but I do strive to be better than I was previously. That sort of sums it all up in a nutshell; applies to pretty much all of my life. At least it works for me.

I came up with this in college, and have said it often since: “Perspective is 90% of reality.” I thought it was pretty good then and still do. It’s simple but a bit profound. The way we look at things IS our reality, and two different people look at the exact same thing in different ways, due to their perspective.
This is similar to a major principle of the ancient Stoic philosophers, who said that when we say something happened to us, we're mostly describing our reaction to whatever happened.

However, they didn't quantify it in percentages.

You now join the ranks of such luminaries as Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Diogenes, and my personal favorite, Diabetes Mellitus.

This is similar to a major principle of the ancient Stoic philosophers, who said that when we say something happened to us, we're mostly describing our reaction to whatever happened.

However, they didn't quantify it in percentages.

You now join the ranks of such luminaries as Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Diogenes, and my personal favorite, Diabetes Mellitus.
I’ve never heard of any of those guys, but they all sound important, so I’m taking this as a win. :cool:

Yes, another Stoic philosophy moment. There will be a discussion group with Marcus Aurelius as soon as I can reach him on the ouija board.

:)

He uses FaceTime now.

A noble thought, but you didn't actually say what that best version of yourself actually is!

I'm giving you an incomplete. :)

Cut Keith some slack, he’s got the sweetest piece of quilted maple incoming.

My purpose thus far is to be the rock my wife needs, to offer guidance to our kids and to make this world a happier place to the best of my abilities.

I am amazed at how much guidance our adult children still need. The strange part is I bounce issues off of my own dad but I never feel like I'm out of control of my own affairs.

I feel like it can be a fairly heavy burden at times but as long as I can take long trips on my ultra classic, get away with my wife and enjoy music I'm good.

I must add, my wife is in the kitchen preparing food. There is classic 70s music playing and I'm enjoying coffee.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah.........................
Nice.

Oh boy. I do not want to start a debate, but I am a bit naughty. Anyway, it might be a bit short sighted to ascribe just 10% to that which escapes your own personal perspective. Oh, I will certainly agree that which falls within one’s own perspective does certainly steer most, and sometimes all of one’s life. But there is so very much outside of our personal perspective that is working, often unseen, and impacting our lives.
And I’ll just leave that there.
My apologies.

I’m going with 60-62
The only advantages I can think of for myself now (in the aforementioned 60-62 bracket) is that I have a grandson, more money, more PRS guitars.

The things I’ve lost or can’t do that I used too, is long. :confused: I really miss the sports, and always figured I’d still be playing. That’s a major hole in my life. This arthritis in my hand better not take away, or further reduce, my ability to play guitar, or I’ll be pretty much useless.

Oh boy. I do not want to start a debate, but I am a bit naughty. Anyway, it might be a bit short sighted to ascribe just 10% to that which escapes your own personal perspective. Oh, I will certainly agree that which falls within one’s own perspective does certainly steer most, and sometimes all of one’s life. But there is so very much outside of our personal perspective that is working, often unseen, and impacting our lives.
And I’ll just leave that there.
My apologies.
From this I infer that most of us do not know which way to walk, nor does it belong to us to know.
Yes, you say that now, but you don’t know all of my other flaws! :D
The only significant one we all inherited from the beginning. We all strive to be better people if we choose to, but its the flaws we all struggle with.

The Meaning Of Life is the last Monty Python movie to feature all of the members of the troupe. Perhaps best known for the segments that include the song "Every Sperm Is Sacred" and the exploding diner Mr. Creosote, there are quite a few good bits in the film. I'm especially fond of the moment in the chapter about birth when the expectant mother says, "What do I do?" and the doctor replies, "Nothing, dear, you're not qualified." That and Eric Idle's waiter showing his childhood home. And, frankly, quite a few more bits.

Back