• Purple Rain

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Amadeus

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other: I'll tell you in my post!

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
Rock Star was another good one.

"We're not a cover band. We're a TRIBUTE band!"...cracks me up every time.

For Bill. I love the soundtrack for Jesus Christ Superstar, but did not care for the movie version. From a soundtrack perspective, The Big Chill is literally classic.

I think a cast of characters and a narrative arc (exposition, conflict, climax, and resolution) makes something a movie. By definition, everything listed in this thread is a "movie" whether it's fiction, partial fiction, or a documentary. As a musician, I would much rather watch 'It Might Get Loud' or 'Back and Forth' than 'Purple Rain' or 'Almost Famous'. Personally, I don't need fictional characters or a manufactured plot.

mov·ie /ˈmo͞ovē
Noun
1. A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
2. A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.

All that being said, your avatar is spot-on! :rock:

Wow, so I guess opinions are not allowed anymore? I could easily pull up the definition and pronunciation of "documentary," but I view this as a fun thread, not a combative one. Which is why I didn't quote you or address your posts. So, you win. Congratulations buddy.

Last edited:
For Bill. I love the soundtrack for Jesus Christ Superstar, but did not care for the movie version. From a soundtrack perspective, The Big Chill is literally classic.

We could break this into three threads.

1) Best Music based movie
2) Best movie soundtrack
3) Best movie score

Go!

Wow, so I guess opinions are not allowed anymore? I could easily pull up the definition and pronunciation of "documentary," but I view this as a fun thread, not a combative one. Which is why I didn't quote you or address your posts. So, you win. Congratulations buddy. (Noted, dealers not to do business with.)

I posted "5 Music Based Movies" because I thought someone else may enjoy watching them. I didn't know I would need to defend whether or not they fit some other person's definition of what a "movie" is. So, I made clear why I posted them. Also, I'm not a dealer. I'm still diggin' the avatar though (you can note that). Rock on, Blackbird!

How about Eddie and the Crusiers and since I spent some time in Lubbock... The Buddy Holly Movie!

Wow, so I guess opinions are not allowed anymore? I could easily pull up the definition and pronunciation of "documentary," but I view this as a fun thread, not a combative one. Which is why I didn't quote you or address your posts. So, you win. Congratulations buddy. (Noted, dealers not to do business with.)

I posted "5 Music Based Movies" because I thought someone else may enjoy watching them. I didn't know I would need to defend whether or not they fit some other person's definition of what a "movie" is. So, I made clear why I posted them. Also, I'm not a dealer. I'm still diggin' the avatar though (you can note that). Rock on, Blackbird!

I think you guys have just been caught in what we like to refer to as a "common internet misunderstanding" due to how people individually interpret written text and sarcasm. Hug it out! :cheers:

I voted for Spinal Tap since it was on the list and I love that kind of sarcastic humor. I will say that Crossroads and Back to the Future were very influential in my desire to pick up the guitar during my pre teen years so they hold a special place for me.

"Don't worry you'll see them all again on your long journey to the middle"

Almost Famous is where its at

I didn't know I would need to defend whether or not they fit some other person's definition of what a "movie" is. So, I made clear why I posted them. Also, I'm not a dealer. I'm still diggin' the avatar though (you can note that). Rock on, Blackbird!

That's the crux, you didn't have to defend your answers dude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's what makes this board diverse and fun. Just because my definition is different from yours doesn't mean your wrong. I didn't quote your post or tell you your movies sucked lol. It's all good.
:beer:
And thanks for the compliment, I'll pass it on to my lady.

I stayed away from documentaries in my previous post, but just to touch on two that were mentioned.

The Foo flick, "Back And Forth" is really cool. There's a classic moment in it - they're recording the album at Grohl's house. Grohl is recording a guitar part when his daughter runs into the room and pretty much jumps on his shoulder and says, "Daddy, you said we could go swimming!" Grohl turns to her and says, "We will, but I have to finish this guitar part first." Never misses a beat. Then they cut to the two of them in the pool. Beautiful.

"Sound City" is dynamite. The first half is pretty much the history of Sound City and includes some great behind-the-scenes video of various artists recording. I'd love to see a lot more of the Johnny Cash footage. The second half covers Grohl recording with a bunch of different artists. There's a great scene of Grohl recording vocals with Paul McCartney, and Grohl says, "Why can't it always be this easy?" McCartney just looks at him and says, "But it is!"

Your computer DVD drive should be able to play both PAL & NTSC disks. I order a lot from Lick Library in Jolly ole England and the format is always the 'wrong' one but it plays on my PC (they probably drive on the wrong side of the road too). Netflix has the Foo Fighters DVD (not available for streaming.) Speaking of Netflix - I just watched "QUEEN: Rock Montreal" on Netflix Streaming. Even though they were in Canada (grin) it's still excellent!

Thanks, I watched it on youtube last night, Dave Grohl's musical ability totally amazes me I also investigated my Xbox which will play NTSC DVD's so its all good thanks, Amazon order placed

I stayed away from documentaries in my previous post, but just to touch on two that were mentioned.

The Foo flick, "Back And Forth" is really cool. There's a classic moment in it - they're recording the album at Grohl's house. Grohl is recording a guitar part when his daughter runs into the room and pretty much jumps on his shoulder and says, "Daddy, you said we could go swimming!" Grohl turns to her and says, "We will, but I have to finish this guitar part first." Never misses a beat. Then they cut to the two of them in the pool. Beautiful.

I loved that part of the film with the BBQ and the pool, they are all men in there 40's with families, in fact they are just like me with my family, not so far up their own rectums like all the other "celebs".

A real insight.

also from the Sky down was a rood "Rocumentary"

Back