Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other: I'll tell you in my post!

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
I'm going with This is Spinal Tap AND The Blues Brothers

I guess I need to watch This is Spinal Tap. :iamconfused:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High :top:
Phoebe Cates :congrats:
Clip is edited ;) But you get the idea...

Pulp Fiction is pretty cool too :) But I have found it can freak out people who've never seen it when you laugh at "I did not hit no M>>>FER>>> BUMP!":laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
DRC was no Phantom!!! :tongue:

And for a music-based movie plus a good soundtrack, it's hard to beat either "Once" or "The Commitments". Or "Quadrophenia".

I really liked August Rush. It is worth it just for the bit where the orphan first plays a guitar, but there are a number of other excellent moments in it.

Fantastic movie, it has a few cheesy moments but the music is just incredible.

I also agree with the recommendations for Almost Famous. That movie just got so many things exactly right.

Here's a few other music movies that I really enjoyed that are not on this list:

1. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
  2. Anvil: The Story of Anvil
  3. Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
  4. This Might Get Loud
  5. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
I've also heard really good things about 'Sound City' (about Sound City studio and the Neve board that was used to record Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumors').

Here's a few other music movies that I really enjoyed that are not on this list:

1. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
  2. Anvil: The Story of Anvil
  3. Foo Fighters: Back and Forth
  4. This Might Get Loud
  5. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
I've also heard really good things about 'Sound City' (about Sound City studio and the Neve board that was used to record Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumors').

eh there was a Foo Fighters Move, how did I not know about this (goes in to melt down) when where can I get it??????please help??

eh there was a Foo Fighters Move, how did I not know about this (goes in to melt down) when where can I get it??????please help??

Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary. Basically it documents the band's history from Nirvana, and goes through all of the hirings and firings of past members. It's told mainly from the perspective of Grohl, who is quite entertaining to listen to. Definitely check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853563/
Various retailers have it for pretty cheap on the google site.

For me, it's the Last Waltz....so many great artists...does that count as a music movie?

Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary. Basically it documents the band's history from Nirvana, and goes through all of the hirings and firings of past members. It's told mainly from the perspective of Grohl, who is quite entertaining to listen to. Definitely check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853563/
Various retailers have it for pretty cheap on the google site.

thanks, I had a look and it was only available in NTSC format so I need to check if our player and TV can play NTSC formats.

Thanks again.:biggrin:

thanks, I had a look and it was only available in NTSC format so I need to check if our player and TV can play NTSC formats.

Thanks again.:biggrin:

Your computer DVD drive should be able to play both PAL & NTSC disks. I order a lot from Lick Library in Jolly ole England and the format is always the 'wrong' one but it plays on my PC (they probably drive on the wrong side of the road too). Netflix has the Foo Fighters DVD (not available for streaming.) Speaking of Netflix - I just watched "QUEEN: Rock Montreal" on Netflix Streaming. Even though they were in Canada (grin) it's still excellent!

It Might Get Loud is good too, but not really a "movie."

Yeah, it's not really what I would consider a "movie" either, but a darn good documentary.

I think a cast of characters and a narrative arc (exposition, conflict, climax, and resolution) makes something a movie. By definition, everything listed in this thread is a "movie" whether it's fiction, partial fiction, or a documentary. As a musician, I would much rather watch 'It Might Get Loud' or 'Back and Forth' than 'Purple Rain' or 'Almost Famous'. Personally, I don't need fictional characters or a manufactured plot.

mov·ie /ˈmo͞ovē
Noun
1. A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
2. A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.

All that being said, your avatar is spot-on! :rock:

As far as rock documentaries go, "Gimme Shelter" is a classic.

Back