What is the Best Amp for your PRS Guitar

I've been a Boogie man since 2000. Started off with a TriAxis - which I still own, then 7 years ago I fell in love with my Mark V. Still there with that. I've added a Mark V:35 to the stable just for jams, rehearsals, session work. I guess you could say I really like my PRSs through Mesas.

I played Boogie for a while, but I went for a Kemper a few months back and I haven't looked back since. It's fantastic! I even picked an Archon profile recently ;)

I played Boogie for a while, but I went for a Kemper a few months back and I haven't looked back since. It's fantastic! I even picked an Archon profile recently ;)

Sweet! How's the Archon profile? I should go looking for one to see how it stacks up against the real thing.

I play my DGT mainly through my Two Rock, but sometimes through an Archon (believe it or not, acquired strictly for the amazing clean channel). It always churns out killer tone-a-plenty ;).

I play my DGT mainly through my Two Rock, but sometimes through an Archon (believe it or not, acquired strictly for the amazing clean channel). It always churns out killer tone-a-plenty ;).

I believe it! But, don't write off that gain channel. I've gotten some KILLER bluesy tones out of it lately. Some with the gain as low as 8:00, but it works and sounds great. You can bring down the top end for fat/smooth or dial some in for smokin' hot blues. Open up the master some and keep the gain way down. See what you think.

Sweet! How's the Archon profile? I should go looking for one to see how it stacks up against the real thing.
It's pretty sweet. I've never heard the real thing so I can't really compare. But overall, it's a nice tight metal tone, great for Periphery-ish type stuff.

It's pretty sweet. I've never heard the real thing so I can't really compare. But overall, it's a nice tight metal tone, great for Periphery-ish type stuff.

Cool. I'll have to go look for one to download and compare to the real thing!

For a brief period of time, when I owned but 1 PRS ('95 CU22, which I still have), a 50 watt JCM 800 w/1960A cab was a killer combination. This was when we could actually move some air at the places we played. Such a sweet guitar/amp combo. Alas, things change, bands change, venues change. :(

For rockin' my Mesa recto, for clean (Don't have one yet) Henricks Jazzamp.

My Custom 50 is my top match for my PRS guitars! Although I'm sure there are many that would sound great with a PRS, problem is I haven't tried them all!

The Custom 50 is a gigging dream. Nice mids with a lot of cut, well tuned bass, mates well with many pedals, and loud as heck.

I know this is an old thread. But, I stumbled upon this comment, and I had to chime in to say that I agree wholeheartedly. My Custom 30 is absolutely my top match with my PRS. I actually bought the amp with my Stratocaster in mind. But, when I heard the tones that it produced with my Core Custom 24, I was blown away. Together, they produce harmonics / overtones that I can hardly describe. My other guitars also sound great through this amp, but it really shines with the PRS.

I love the PRS amps (I have the HXDA and DG30). I also dig my Mesa Lone Star. Before that, I loved my Mark V, my Two-Rocks, and my Bogner. And more Mesas. And Bad Cats.

PRS sound great with Tone Kings and Top Hats, too; I've tried 'em. Have never played a PRS through a Swart.

But one of my favorite amps of all time is the AC30 with a bit of light grit dialed in. What a sound!

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any amp with a PRS...well...speaking only for myself, I'm not into modeling amps.
My next will be the AC30

I'm playing thru a Vox AC30HW2 and for home use I have
a Line 6 Vetta 11 with a 2x12 and a Cab with a 2x12 and
the FBV Custom Foot Controller. The line 6 was given to
me by a friend.
Super old thread from 2017. But I have an AC30HW too, and I use it with a 2 x 12 Matchless speaker cab exactly the size of an AC30 combo amp.

It does sound great with any guitar, PRS included. It's handwired and does have a master volume control that works well. But it's heavy and large. and LOUD!

My favorite amp with my PRS guitars is the new HDRX 20, paired with a 1 x 12 Matchless speaker cab. Great rock and blues/rock amp.

Everyone should have one.

But having some effects in front of it is a must, IMO.

A great overdrive pedal, some delay and reverb. Maybe a very transparent compressor.

I haven't played through many amps (although occasionally use modelers when practicing), but the best I've experienced is an independently built amp based on the 5f1 Fender tweed Champ circuit. Not too clean, not too dirty.

Edited to add an image of the wiring.
qcFQYTw.jpg

I haven't played through many amps (although occasionally use modelers when practicing), but the best I've experienced is an independently built amp based on the 5f1 Fender tweed Champ circuit. Not too clean, not too dirty.

Edited to add an image of the wiring.
qcFQYTw.jpg
I have one of those. Mine's a tweed Princeton but a tweed Princeton is just a tweed Champ with the addition of a tone control. And a 10" speaker.

It's the amp I learned to play the guitar on. Great little amps.

Last edited:
All of mine sounded pretty good through every amp I owned, but it’s no surprise that the Silver Sky SE sounds exceptional through my Fender amps, where the humbucker core models sound great through EL34/84 and 6V6 amps.

Back