What is the Best Amp for your PRS Guitar

VoxAC30HW2

I'm playing thru a Vox AC30HW2 and for home use I have
a Line 6 Vetta 11 with a 2x12 and a Cab with a 2x12 and
the FBV Custom Foot Controller. The line 6 was given to
me by a friend.

The answer is "whatever sounds best to you." The best amp isn't the same for every PRS I own. Some PRSi are better with a modern sound and others are better with a blues style amp. Mostly it depends on my mood.

Maybe if you phrase it as "your favorite amp for your PRS"? It's all subjective, like picking out your guitar. Personally, I haven't found an amp that doesn't sound good with my PRSi, so I recommend them all. :D

+1

Maybe if you phrase it as "your favorite amp for your PRS"? It's all subjective, like picking out your guitar. Personally, I haven't found an amp that doesn't sound good with my PRSi, so I recommend them all. :D
Yup.
My PRS guitars sound just fine through my Boogie, MDT and Fishman, though I prefer to add something in front of the Fishman to colour the sound.

I should have said what is your favorite Amp for your PRS that would have
been better. I would like to try my Custom 22 with a Top Hat or a Tone King
or a Swart and compare them to my Vox AC30 Amp.

No matter the guitar, I've always been a VOX fan...

walrus

At the moment, my fave is a Fuchs ODS through one of my own shop-built (Forte 3D style) cabinets. But the Swart SST through a pair of Alnico Creams is pretty darn good too. FWIW, both amps are rated at 30 watts.

I love the PRS amps (I have the HXDA and DG30). I also dig my Mesa Lone Star. Before that, I loved my Mark V, my Two-Rocks, and my Bogner. And more Mesas. And Bad Cats.

PRS sound great with Tone Kings and Top Hats, too; I've tried 'em. Have never played a PRS through a Swart.

But one of my favorite amps of all time is the AC30 with a bit of light grit dialed in. What a sound!

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any amp with a PRS...well...speaking only for myself, I'm not into modeling amps.

The Modeling Amp is just used at home to record into my
computer because it has a line out. Should I switch Amps
again I'm looking into a Fender Vibro-King with 3x10's.
Where I live none of the music stores stock Top Hat or
Swart. One Amp that one store stocks is Louis Electric
and there price is up there. I have never played thru a
PRS Amp. Are they hand wired or do they use a PC
Board? I try to stay away from Amps with a PC Board
and when I look for an Amp without Master Volume
or Gain. I also like to have Reverb and Tremolo in my
Amp. Now with my floor board I have a Reverb and
Tremolo Pedal so the Amp would not have to have them.

I have a MKII Boogie and a PRS H both sound great
Ive also played thru a few Marshalls other Boogies , A Killer H+K an Engnater Tweaker and a Kemper ( to be honest if I could only have one amp it would be a Kemper )
I used to say if it had tubes it was hard to go wrong BUT the Kemper changed that also
Great guitars help make great tones.
IMHO think about what tones you are looking to get and head that way

I have to say, I love my Kemper. But, I also really love my Archon and my DG30. All the guit-axes sound killer through them. It's nice to have choices.

Fender Hot rod Deluxe has lovely cleans. PRS H combo has lovely cleans and a great lead channel. PRS Custom 50 combo has lovely cleans, a great lead channel and excellent boost for both channels.
Just got a Kemper two weeks ago, so far I'm impressed.

Fender Hot rod Deluxe has lovely cleans.

Absolutely love that amp precisely for that reason, it's so bright and glossy. The drive channel with the treble rolled back a bit just sings out fusion leads I love, even at lower volumes.

Had a first generation HRD that I had to part with last year and I miss it tremendously. Test-drove a new III recently and they're even better. I know I'll eventually have to bring another one home, but a Mark V has to come first.

Come on guys. There are lots of good amps out there, but everyone knows the real answer is....

ARCHON! :D Or HX/DA or Custom 50 or MDT (yes, I've found a new one that is really interesting!)

so yeah depends on what you're after.

... I have never played thru a PRS Amp. Are they hand wired or do they use a PCBoard? I try to stay away from Amps with a PC Board and when I look for an Amp without Master Volume or Gain. I also like to have Reverb and Tremolo in my Amp. Now with my floor board I have a Reverb and Tremolo Pedal so the Amp would not have to have them.

Far be it for me to judge cork sniffing, but don't completely discount amp designs with PC boards. Companies like Mesa/Boogie and Marshall have been making concessions for mass production that don't compromise the results. My old Boogie MkIII not only sounds amazing, it has been with me just shy of 30 years...brutal outdoor gigs and all. My PRS Super Dallas employs a hybrid point-to-point board with a few traces on the under side to prevent pulling the board for service. That's not cutting corners, it's genius! Check this out...

sdallasgut4.jpg

PRS amps are the real deal, which is why they're hard to find in the wild. Many simply don't exist on the used market. If you get a chance, snag one. Very highly recommended (even if I wasn't a PRS guitar fanboy, I'd be a PRS amp freak).

Oh, and my only desert island pedal is the Strymon Flint (and the El Capistan, just go with it) because harmonic tremolo is the sh*t!

Back