What is that color?

Xav22001

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on the forum and since recently a happy owner of a 2016 PRS Custom 24.

Before going to the store I watched a bunch of online reviews, pictures etc. and had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. Then I went there, tried about 7 PRS guitars back to back and fell in love with this one due to the 3-way switch, push/pull config which I liked more, + the sound (there were clear differences between the various custom 24s I tried).
This was not particularly the color that I wanted but I liked it enough and sound and playability come first for me.

However despite all the research I made before and after buying this guitar, I cannot find any pictures online of PRS guitars with this color, nor stock custom 24's with this 3 way switch config.

My guitar was built in December 2016, has the pattern regular neck and 85/15 pickups (according to the certificate that came with it).

Does anyone know what my color is, and is it common for PRS to ship out stock models that differ from the configuration and colors listed on their website? :)
- It won't change how happy I am with my guitar, I'm just really curious to know what exactly it is.

20170401_164012.jpg
20170402_114642_Burst01.jpg
20170402_114534_HDR.jpg

Thanks!
Xavier

Last edited:
Hi Xavier and welcome to the forum!
Congrats to your new guitar. The finish on your guitar looks like ''black gold'' (to me at least:)).

Hi Xavier and welcome to the forum!
Congrats to your new guitar. The finish on your guitar looks like ''black gold'' (to me at least:)).

Thanks for the input!
It was my closest guess as well but Black Gold Burst seemed a bit more yellow/orange online whereas mine is kinda green/brown, who knows maybe PRS got the mix wrong for the spray paint on that day haha :D

You could also plug the MODCAT into the MODCAT decoder, or email the S/N to the customer service email address. (The first way is much faster.)

But yeah, looks like black gold to me. There are always variations because they're hand stained and because different woods "take" the stain differently.

I'm going black gold too. Dusty's right, MODCAT teLl you for sure, unless it really is a custom color. The MODCAT is on a sticker on the outside of your case (on one of the ends), and can also be found in the cavity under the pick up. Type it in to the decoder found here:

http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

I'm going black gold too. Dusty's right, MODCAT teLl you for sure, unless it really is a custom color. The MODCAT is on a sticker on the outside of your case (on one of the ends), and can also be found in the cavity under the pick up. Type it in to the decoder found here:

http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

So that's what that sticker on my case was... Thought it was specific to my retailer (and ugly) and threw it away :( . So weird that they put it on the outside. Will look under the pickups next time I change strings.

Thanks a lot! :)

Had it on my QC leaflet!
Posting the results in case anyone ever comes across this thread and is interested:

CUM4F-HSI63_CC_N5-53

Model: Custom 22/24
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Could not find Inlay '6'
Bridge: Could not find Bridge '3'
Color: Custom Color
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 250
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 250
Electronics: 3-Way Toggle or Blade

So I guess I just came across the "end of year 2016" custom 24 where they felt a bit creative. Anyway thanks for the information everyone!

Wow, a custom color! That is awesome!

(Though I wonder if "Custom Color" happens sometimes when the stain gets over/under-applied accidentally or takes much differently than "normal", and it strays too far from the "normal" result...)

"Those aren't bugs, they're features!"

Cool! I've seen a few with the classic control layout floating around. I don't know the story on those because it's not an advertised option nor a special run as far as I know.

They've been doing quite a few off-menu finishes in the last couple years. Apparently the guys in the spray booth get a lot of creative freedom.

It looks like it may be Copperhead Burst. I've seen a couple of regular Core guitars in that finish.
Does the top have scraped binding, or does the burst wrap around?
Would like to see some bigger pics in good lighting.

Wow, a custom color! That is awesome!

(Though I wonder if "Custom Color" happens sometimes when the stain gets over/under-applied accidentally or takes much differently than "normal", and it strays too far from the "normal" result...)

"Those aren't bugs, they're features!"
That's certainly what I would call it! In fact, last year at experience, when I stained some wood in the staining class, it came out particularly blotchy, but I ended up taking a liking to it. And there's a piece of me that wants to recreate that blotchiness at some point in the future. It had a nice even distribution to its randomness.

As Dusty said, every piece of wood takes the stain differently. Part of the beauty of PRS guitars, to me, is that each one is unique. I`ve seen about 1,000 pictures of forum members guitars that I would gladly own and play. yours is definitely one of them. Congrats on a great guitar.

I remember a special run that was available last year. It was a Custom 24 with thicker body. First they came out as Wood Library models, but I remember seeing a few standard ones too.

Basically a Custom 24 with McCarty thickness and electronics. Lots of custom one off finishes too

Check if your guitar body has the normal Cu24 thickness

That color looks like a variation of Black Gold Burst btw. I dig it! Love the McCarty electronic myself. Blade switches are reserevd for Strats imo.

Last edited:
Cool! I've seen a few with the classic control layout floating around. I don't know the story on those because it's not an advertised option nor a special run as far as I know.

They've been doing quite a few off-menu finishes in the last couple years. Apparently the guys in the spray booth get a lot of creative freedom.

It looks like it may be Copperhead Burst. I've seen a couple of regular Core guitars in that finish.
Does the top have scraped binding, or does the burst wrap around?
Would like to see some bigger pics in good lighting.

Sorry about the small pix I am new at using photobucket I thought it would link to the larger ones. Need to learn to use the forum tools properly.
Those are the originals, in actually pretty bright lighting (forgive the fingermarks, photos taken as soon as I brought it home the first time, before giving it a wipe down). I'll take pics of the bindings after work.

https://goo.gl/photos/4HxcyftZDzBWruHa8
https://goo.gl/photos/9Z9khCJ7kJigXJkG9

And bug turned feature? Possibly haha, it's ok with me, kinda cool having a less common color, and as long as it sounds the way it does... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gorgeous! I love the grain of the top on that. Lots of character. And the amber burst around the edge is classy. Congratulations!

Now that I've seen the bigger picture, I would say the color is burnt maple leaf.

Looks really good. Congratulations!

Looks like something between Black Gold Burst and Autumn Sky. To be sure you should just send me the guitar for a closer look.

Back