What is it with clean tones in videos?

@CandidPicker

Here's a link the the thread, so not to further derail Sergio's thread.

If you read the post before it, it explains what I was doing with the song. Crank it up before opening ;)

Happy Birthday

Last edited by a moderator:
59571352.jpg
Ah, that was almost over 40 years ago early 80's. The lead guitarist was John Larson (real name) who played for a band called Ugly Kid Joe at numerous local places, most notably Crabby Joe's Bar & Grill in southern MA. (Not sure if that's still there or has changed ownership hands). Johnny was a decent player but suffered a work accident some years ago (an electrical circuit panel shock) while working as an electrician. It took many years for him to recover his playing ability, but he's still doing the local tour circuit these days.

Our band back then was known as "The Press" which consisted of myself on rhythm/lead, my brother on bass, a guy named Neil on drums, male singer Lynn, and Johnny on lead guitar.

We played one gig only after practicing for 2 solid days straight from 1 PM until 2 AM for 2 consecutive nights, until we felt we had about 2-½ hours music in 3 playlists. The stipulation for the gig (a 1st year high school graduation anniversary) was that we could play until the kegs ran dry, which happened in all of about 50 minutes once we began.

So about 50 minutes into the gig, we were told to pack it in and go home. Johnny had selected various tunes that were popular for the time, notably some EC (Wonderful Tonight, Lay Down Sally, Cocaine) some SRV (Mary Had A Little Lamb) and one of my selections: The Tubes (She's a Beauty). I've forgotten what else we played, but it was a fun romp for the time. I remember fumbling through many of the songs and not doing well at all, but held it together for most of the songs, though my abilities weren't up to par with Johnny's.

That was my only time as a band member. More recently, I've accompanied house bands at open-mic jams, but these were pro players who hosted the open-mics for wage earnings. Ever since my local open-mic house band jam folded in 2015, I've only visited local open-mics as one who listens or interacts with the band on stage verbally. On only a few occasions I've sat and ordered food, then stepped up on stage and played my brief setlist of 2 or 3 songs with or without the house band accompanying.

Most of my recent offerings were acoustic improvs with a DADGAD capo, some were with my PRS, my small combo and effect board with backing track music piped from my iPhone's phone app. I've since thought to offer what I'm most familiar with, the practiced but high energy acoustic improvs that get the audience's fingers tapping. Because there's no dance floor at these venues, the most we can do is get folks' heads nodding or toes/fingers tapping. FTR, no head-banging, just nodding in appreciation.

I swear, 95% of videos about a piece of gear has a dude who has no f@ckin clue how to play guitar without gobs of distortion.

JFC! Play like, some jangling chords, or like a funk thing, or something besides what sounds like a GD metal intro to an Iron Maiden song. Please!

I get that most guitar dudes play rock s**t and that’s where they kinda live but… dude! Evolve as a musician and… I dunno, learn how to play an R&B song or at least “Good Times” by Chic for your awful YouTube gear channel. I promise you’ll be able to break it out at a party when your drunk friends wanna rap “Rapper’s Delight”.

How TF am I supposed to make a judgment on an amp’s clean channel when all you play is an arpeggio of a C chord? And what’s the point of showing off a “blackface” or “silver face” tone when it’s slathered in modulation, delay, and a digital cathedral reverb?

I mean, c’mon. If this sounds like you, do something about it! Just learn “brown eye girl” or some Kansas or whatever s**t you vaguely remember from when you were a virgin. And if you’re a Millennial or Zillennial… I dunno, learn a Bruno Mars or Duda Lipa or Doja Cat riff or something! Anything! Besides being all “and here’s how my rig sounds clean” and then playing “braaang” and then going back to twenty minutes of chugging in your demonstration video or music clip.

Whatever, rant off. It wasn’t like I was really gonna drive to Bolingbrook to buy an Eleven Rack anyway. :p
Amen ;)

Back