What is it that like about PRS guitars and Paul in general?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
I really like that Paul is a very humble man. He is the founder and creator of PRS guitars and I've gotten to meet him and he is very down to earth and not all high and mighty, he just wanted to sit and talk with me. It's the guitars and the craftsmenship and the attention to detail and care that they put into the guitars that sells me for them.

I really like that Paul is a very humble man. He is the founder and creator of PRS guitars and I've gotten to meet him and he is very down to earth and not all high and mighty, he just wanted to sit and talk with me. It's the guitars and the craftsmenship and the attention to detail and care that they put into the guitars that sells me for them.

Nice, I've not met Paul myself though many say he's quite articulate about guitar details and his other music endeavors. It's kind of refreshing to see a humble man in his element. How did you meet Paul?

Nice, I've not met Paul myself though many say he's quite articulate about guitar details and his other music endeavors. It's kind of refreshing to see a humble man in his element. How did you meet Paul?
I met him at a little event in Maryland for a local shop that was working with them (now a authorized dealer, 20 minutes from the factory) for 6 private stocks with a "Chessie fade" so basically it's a sattelite image of the chesapeake bay in Maryland and they were selling for about 10-12,000 a pop. Beautiful guitars. I kinda had a bad day that day, I got news after school that my grandma was put in the hospital and she had to be there for a few days. I thought that going would cheer me up. So me and my dad go, since he's pretty into guitars, but doesn't play. I visited the factory about a month earlier with my mom and I was amazed (as an 14 year old would be) to see how detailed their work is. So me and my dad go down, we see some familiar faces, store owners, employee's, etc.... And then my dad points out and my jaw kinda dropped! It was the man, the myth, the legend Paul Reed Smith! IN THE FLESH! I go up to say hi to him and I kid you not, I shook his hand! Him and I just sat there for a few minutes talking, telling him how much I loved the guitars. He noticed my shirt that I was wearing (the PRS graveyard series shirt) and he said this kid's got good taste! I also pointed to my PRS hat (red 12th fret bird) and said not just the shirt. He said he liked my attitude about that. The event starts and he told us about the guitars and why they were releasing them and then went to the crowd for a QnA, and somehow it got to the Santana story. He tells that and it's so funny, that he was just basically acting kinda weird, sitting outside santana's dressing room holding guitars for him and then starts building some for him. He then does some more QnA and he legit through out his FIVE CREDIT CARDS INTO THE CROWD! He was then approached by a lefty and the lefty asked why there are barely any american lefty's? He then pulls out his beautiful lefty american and then Paul explains that it's so much more expensive because opposite carves and such and its a lot to re configure CNC machines. He made a hilarious comment to someone who sparked the tonewood debate saying the kid who is arguing about that is most likely sitting in his mom's basement with just his underwear on (or not) arguing about wood. I then asked him about whether the company would ever go into a solid state amp market and pedal market and why they just stick to tubes and he told me that tube amps just sound better. He, for some reason, the stars aligned in my favor and he said, himself, to me, an already star struck 14 year old meeting a genius that I have a bright future ahead of me!!! That made me so happy and then I got my hat signed after that. I saw skitchy, Paul Miles and few other PRS people. Ever since then I wanted to work at PRS.

I think I now understand why It's no wonder that you've taken quite an interest in PRS guitars, given your experience regards the meet & greet with Paul. Not everyone gets a chance to visit the factory in their lifetime, and it was likely your mild manner that endeared you to Paul. One thing I've learned over the years is that birds of a feather flock together, so to speak, and people tend to gravitate towards people who display similar qualities.

Although it takes many years to become a good public speaker, Paul may indeed have given you good reason to pursue a career at the factory, simply listening to Paul speak. Sometimes all it takes is a little encouragement and a goal. If you're not afraid of potential disappointments, and are resilient enough to accept challenges and overcome them, this may demonstrate to Paul that you can make practical application of what you learn along the way and be a successful individual who can follow direction and make the most of his abilities.

In my case, my Dad never supported my choice to pursue electric guitar as a hobby. For that, I felt gypped that he supported my acoustic endeavors, but not progressing to electric. You are indeed fortunate that your Dad cares enough to look after your interests in a supportive role.

In conclusion, if it were me, I'd try to make the most of my opportunities that have already occurred, and focus on my schoolwork so as to concentrate in courses that involves woodworking or small project wood or electronic builds. From what I've previously read above, you had asked Paul why not solid state or effects. Paul was correct about tube amps sounding better, but perhaps sometime in the future we may see new ideas being tossed into the hat about what will improve structural integrity in acoustics, or their amplification means.

My best suggestion is to write Paul a letter of intent about what you plan to do regards school, and consider a trade school which can set you on the correct path regards woodworking or electronic builds. If perhaps you make the acquaintance of a master carpenter or electronics tech, you may find that with proper training, you can parlay your woodworking or electronic skills towards working at the PRS factory.

Your parents can be helpful partners in your decision-making process, because what you learn along the way will be vitally important to coping with hardships or challenges. If you set a goal and say, in 5 or 10 years want to be at this place in life, make it that goal and fulfill it. Then, reach out for additional opportunities as they occur, and accept them. Don't be afraid to ask for help along the way. While you're still young and somewhat inexperienced, there will be people who can be good examples for you to imitate. Just be observant, listen, watch, and ask questions. Just don't let your exuberance or excitement override your common sense. Too often folks have led with their heart and not let their reasoning ability help them focus on what's important. Lastly, don't be swayed by the mindset of the crowd, which has a powerful influence on people. Remember that there's a time for work, and a time for play. Be balanced in both respects and you'll be happier, and safer as a result.

Best wishes, young man; Paul was correct about how he admired your attitude. Like Paul, I see similar attributes, but I also see a lot of undisciplined exuberance. Your zeal for PRS guitars is only outweighed by your inquisitiveness. And that's a good thing. Just remember to keep a lid on the bubbly part...you don't want to let that go unchecked...

I think I now understand why It's no wonder that you've taken quite an interest in PRS guitars, given your experience regards the meet & greet with Paul. Not everyone gets a chance to visit the factory in their lifetime, and it was likely your mild manner that endeared you to Paul. One thing I've learned over the years is that birds of a feather flock together, so to speak, and people tend to gravitate towards people who display similar qualities.

Although it takes many years to become a good public speaker, Paul may indeed have given you good reason to pursue a career at the factory, simply listening to Paul speak. Sometimes all it takes is a little encouragement and a goal. If you're not afraid of potential disappointments, and are resilient enough to accept challenges and overcome them, this may demonstrate to Paul that you can make practical application of what you learn along the way and be a successful individual who can follow direction and make the most of his abilities.

In my case, my Dad never supported my choice to pursue electric guitar as a hobby. For that, I felt gypped that he supported my acoustic endeavors, but not progressing to electric. You are indeed fortunate that your Dad cares enough to look after your interests in a supportive role.

In conclusion, if it were me, I'd try to make the most of my opportunities that have already occurred, and focus on my schoolwork so as to concentrate in courses that involves woodworking or small project wood or electronic builds. From what I've previously read above, you had asked Paul why not solid state or effects. Paul was correct about tube amps sounding better, but perhaps sometime in the future we may see new ideas being tossed into the hat about what will improve structural integrity in acoustics, or their amplification means.

My best suggestion is to write Paul a letter of intent about what you plan to do regards school, and consider a trade school which can set you on the correct path regards woodworking or electronic builds. If perhaps you make the acquaintance of a master carpenter or electronics tech, you may find that with proper training, you can parlay your woodworking or electronic skills towards working at the PRS factory.

Your parents can be helpful partners in your decision-making process, because what you learn along the way will be vitally important to coping with hardships or challenges. If you set a goal and say, in 5 or 10 years want to be at this place in life, make it that goal and fulfill it. Then, reach out for additional opportunities as they occur, and accept them. Don't be afraid to ask for help along the way. While you're still young and somewhat inexperienced, there will be people who can be good examples for you to imitate. Just be observant, listen, watch, and ask questions. Just don't let your exuberance or excitement override your common sense. Too often folks have led with their heart and not let their reasoning ability help them focus on what's important. Lastly, don't be swayed by the mindset of the crowd, which has a powerful influence on people. Remember that there's a time for work, and a time for play. Be balanced in both respects and you'll be happier, and safer as a result.

Best wishes, young man; Paul was correct about how he admired your attitude. Like Paul, I see similar attributes, but I also see a lot of undisciplined exuberance. Your zeal for PRS guitars is only outweighed by your inquisitiveness. And that's a good thing. Just remember to keep a lid on the bubbly part...you don't want to let that go unchecked...
I am considering a lot at the moment for a future career. I am currently considering 4 paths, music school, religious life, luthiery school, or just engineering school. I have written to PRS asking if I could have an informational interview and they said they couldn't because corona. I am really trying to focus on school at the moment, currently being in 10th grade. Where and how would I exactly write a letter to Paul himself? I know he lives about 10-15 minutes away from where I go to school in Annapolis, maybe even less, since I am so close to the Navy stadium. I am heavily considering a trade school for wood working as well. I have sent out many requests in the Maryland region asking for apprenticeships. Thank you so much for helping me and I hope I can get my letter to Paul!

I am considering a lot at the moment for a future career. I am currently considering 4 paths, music school, religious life, luthiery school, or just engineering school. I have written to PRS asking if I could have an informational interview and they said they couldn't because corona. I am really trying to focus on school at the moment, currently being in 10th grade. Where and how would I exactly write a letter to Paul himself? I know he lives about 10-15 minutes away where I go to school in Annapolis, maybe even less, since I am so close to the Navy stadium. I am heavily considering a trade school for wood working as well. I have sent out many requests in the Maryland region asking for apprenticeships. Thank you so much for helping me and I hope I can get my letter to Paul!

Again, seriously focus on your schoolwork for the time being. You'll need good grades to be accepted anywhere, but it would be a wise choice to consider a trade school that can provide sufficient income and a stable family for your lifetime. Invest early, and set aside money for your future. You may not make a lot of money initially, but no one does with only limited skills.

The PRS factory was clear in their answer regards not being able to do an info interview because of Covid. You'll need to wait until medicine can provide a safe and effective solution to Covid before an interview will happen. If you've already got the factory's contact address, if it were me, I'd simply wait until this health crisis improves before contacting again.

Once you experienced some secondary school (either trade or luthiery) education and subsequent job skills training, then it would be wise to contact the factory again. FTR, I personally tried engineering school first time out. Failed fabulously, and didn't graduate. Took some years of trial and error to find out what seemed like a decent career path, only to find out the sheer workload involved would have made me an emotional wreck in several months employment. Scrapped my bachelors degree and worked in retail instead. I seriously wished I had pursued a trade school even though my grades were National Scholar Merit level.

As was said, don't bug Paul too often with informational requests or random discussions. Lack of focus will not help you with your future career. (You can think of music in the same way. A song that doesn't have a formulaic pattern is just noodling, and not a song. Songs have structure based on a foundation, and what is built on that. A weak foundation will not support a structure in difficult times, no matter how well-built the above structure is.) Know when play becomes too random, and know when to bow out gracefully. Know when to call it a night, set aside your books and guitar, and sleep. Hardcore late night partying will not improve your grades, your attitude, nor your health.

Just practice good habits, listen to your parents, and engage them in spirited discussions if necessary. Your parents likely have much more experience than either you or I together, though, over the years I've learned to listen to others and ask questions in order to learn about them and what they like. If perhaps you learn to place less focus on yourself, and focus more on others, not only will people appreciate your personality, they'll be better friends to you as well. While you're intently focused on what you want, not everyone is interested in what you want. As you extend your world outward, you'll realize that you can be someone with more experience who still can make it in life.

I think with a more balanced view of work and play, you'll do well.

Again, seriously focus on your schoolwork for the time being. You'll need good grades to be accepted anywhere, but it would be a wise choice to consider a trade school that can provide sufficient income and a stable family for your lifetime. Invest early, and set aside money for your future. You may not make a lot of money initially, but no one does with only limited skills.

The PRS factory was clear in their answer regards not being able to do an info interview because of Covid. You'll need to wait until medicine can provide a safe and effective solution to Covid before an interview will happen. If you've already got the factory's contact address, if it were me, I'd simply wait until this health crisis improves before contacting again.

Once you experienced some secondary school (either trade or luthiery) education and subsequent job skills training, then it would be wise to contact the factory again. FTR, I personally tried engineering school first time out. Failed fabulously, and didn't graduate. Took some years of trial and error to find out what seemed like a decent career path, only to find out the sheer workload involved would have made me an emotional wreck in several months employment. Scrapped my bachelors degree and worked in retail instead. I seriously wished I had pursued a trade school even though my grades were National Scholar Merit level.

As was said, don't bug Paul too often with informational requests or random discussions. Lack of focus will not help you with your future career. (You can think of music in the same way. A song that doesn't have a formulaic pattern is just noodling, and not a song. Songs have structure based on a foundation, and what is built on that. A weak foundation will not support a structure in difficult times, no matter how well-built the above structure is.) Know when play becomes too random, and know when to bow out gracefully. Know when to call it a night, set aside your books and guitar, and sleep. Hardcore late night partying will not improve your grades, your attitude, nor your health.

Just practice good habits, listen to your parents, and engage them in spirited discussions if necessary. Your parents likely have much more experience than either you or I together, though, over the years I've learned to listen to others and ask questions in order to learn about them and what they like. If perhaps you learn to place less focus on yourself, and focus more on others, not only will people appreciate your personality, they'll be better friends to you as well. While you're intently focused on what you want, not everyone is interested in what you want. As you extend your world outward, you'll realize that you can be someone with more experience who still can make it in life.

I think with a more balanced view of work and play, you'll do well.
I am currently focusing on school mainly. And that was a great analogy. I am currently stressed over geometry and Latin in school. However, I dropped a level in Latin because I didn't want to harm my mental health. I am also actively having therapy weekly (which is helping, however I am going to most likely start taking anxiety medicine because of stress). I need to take a lot into account. School is my main priority. As a matter of fact, I stayed up till midnight on sunday night and as that result of studying (for a quiz that never happened), I had a horrible week, because of stress, imbalance of sleep and just overall anxiety. I try and call it a night when I can. I am trying to look into so many things, career paths, what I can do to better myself in school (trying to make a schedule) and so many other things. It is quite difficult for me to focus on one certain thing. My main goal is to try and work at PRS, but then I go off on tangents that won't help me. I am trying to help myself and reach out for help as much as I can possibly can with my passion for guitar building, trying to read books (dan erlewine) and watch as much as I can. Heck I'm building my own guitar kit!! I wanted to do something where I could step into working into some guitars, and with this kit, I can! And with this, I can have some skills in wood working and then could have a chance. But I am being presented with 4 major career paths I seriously have to consider.

I am currently focusing on school mainly. And that was a great analogy. I am currently stressed over geometry and Latin in school. However, I dropped a level in Latin because I didn't want to harm my mental health. I am also actively having therapy weekly (which is helping, however I am going to most likely start taking anxiety medicine because of stress). I need to take a lot into account. School is my main priority. As a matter of fact, I stayed up till midnight on sunday night and as that result of studying (for a quiz that never happened), I had a horrible week, because of stress, imbalance of sleep and just overall anxiety. I try and call it a night when I can. I am trying to look into so many things, career paths, what I can do to better myself in school (trying to make a schedule) and so many other things. It is quite difficult for me to focus on one certain thing. My main goal is to try and work at PRS, but then I go off on tangents that won't help me. I am trying to help myself and reach out for help as much as I can possibly can with my passion for guitar building, trying to read books (dan erlewine) and watch as much as I can. Heck I'm building my own guitar kit!! I wanted to do something where I could step into working into some guitars, and with this kit, I can! And with this, I can have some skills in wood working and then could have a chance. But I am being presented with 4 major career paths I seriously have to consider.

We all have our moments. Don't let stress overwhelm you. If perhaps you think you're in over your head, grab the lifejacket and put in on. It takes quite a bit of willpower to not let stuff become your problem, even though others are focusing on their problems at the time.

I often hear when kids talk about how much stress or anxiety they're feeling, and I'm sorry if I can't fix that problem for you. What I can suggest is, slow down a little and exercise some caution when you feel overwhelmed.

it might be helpful in your instance to work on projects that use your hands in a constructive manner. It's known as occupational therapy which helps take your thoughts off of your problems and help reduce stress. You might help your Mom or Dad prepare a meal, or watch your Dad and ask questions as he does minor auto repairs. You could do small art projects with a variety of materials.

Something else that works wonders is helping others who are experiencing difficulty themselves. This can be as simple as bringing groceries to a housebound elderly person, or mowing their lawn for them, or other simple chores. If you make a friend of an elderly person, they may repay you well for your efforts. Granted, they may not tolerate self-centered behavior as much, but they also may speak about their own childhood and experiences growing up that may provide you with some valuable insights as to how they made it through difficult times themselves. It depends on the person you choose to assist.

TBH, you have similar issues that I did when I was growing up, but I was oblivious to them. Seriously. Didn't know my a$$ from my elbow, my Dad would say. I was a late bloomer in life, and really didn't grow up until my mid-40s. Struggled a lot along the way with my speech patterns, focused on myself quite a lot. The anxiety I felt was from being a bit too much "out there" wearing my emotions on my sleeve, as it were. I learned to avoid certain behaviors that would cause too much change too quickly. I realized that it takes concerted effort to bring about change, but change has to come from within. (The Buddhist hot dog joke; am sure you've heard it) My feeling is that you are growing older physically, but your emotions are still trying to catch up with you. This is normal, so have no fear. Confide in your Dad, and let him know what you are feeling. If he is as supportive as I think he is, he will take you aside and reassure you that you have many years ahead of you to live your life. Just remember that not everyone looks at kids who are focused on themselves (or their phones) as good examples of what is to come. It's the kids who are focusing on others that are living healthier lives. Why? Because by focusing on others, their own problems aren't as bad as the others who focus on themselves.

Back