What is Goldtop listening to?

It was 36 years ago today that Randy Rhoads died in a stupid accident in Florida. I saw that tour a month before that - I wish I remembered more about it. Rhoads was a HUGE influence on my playing in the 80s (not that you could really tell). Hard to believe he's been dead over a decade longer than he was alive. The first two Ozzy solo albums are such classics. It's been said that he wanted to leave the Ozzy organization - I wonder what he'd have done if he'd been able to do more.

One of my favorites to play...

And another...

But this is my absolute favorite to play.

Credit where it's due - I did learn a lot of the arrangements and rhythm parts from a radio broadcast from Memphis with Brad Gillis in the band. What a hard position he must have been in, but he handled it with grace and style.

One more story related to that tape - I have a copy I recorded and a copy that my buddy's friend made. This guy had a great stereo system. We ran into him at a bar one night, and one of the guys with us got busted for having a fake ID. We decided to to leave, and my buddy asked his friend if we could go to his house and play the stereo. He said, "Yeah, but don't turn it up. I'm tired of taking sh!t from my neighbors." My buddy said okay, and this guy grabbed his arm and said, "I'm serious. I don't need any more trouble with them. Keep it low." (Oh, some of the stories I've heard about this guy! Sadly, he died a few years later.)

So, we go to the house, we're pulling out records and listening to them, but at a respectful volume. About three hours later, somewhere close to midnight, he comes home, and he is lit up. He comes in the living room, looks at us and says, "What the #&@ is this @&(@?" I think we had an old Stones record on. One of us said, "Hey, we did what you said, we kept the volume down so we wouldn't get you in trouble with the neighbors." He said, "@**^ my neighbors! Where's my Ozzy tape?" Grabbed the Ozzy tape, slapped it in the cassette deck, turned the volume up to about eleventyseven, turned around and screamed, "LET ME SEE YOUR #&)@&ING HANDS!" He actually wrote that on the tape case when he made me a copy. He was a wild man, but I kind of wish I'd gotten to know him a little more. My buddy still misses him dearly, and still goes to the cemetery every year to leave him a beer.

It was 36 years ago today that Randy Rhoads died in a stupid accident in Florida. I saw that tour a month before that - I wish I remembered more about it. Rhoads was a HUGE influence on my playing in the 80s (not that you could really tell). Hard to believe he's been dead over a decade longer than he was alive. The first two Ozzy solo albums are such classics. It's been said that he wanted to leave the Ozzy organization - I wonder what he'd have done if he'd been able to do more.

Credit where it's due - I did learn a lot of the arrangements and rhythm parts from a radio broadcast from Memphis with Brad Gillis in the band. What a hard position he must have been in, but he handled it with grace and style.

One more story related to that tape - I have a copy I recorded and a copy that my buddy's friend made. This guy had a great stereo system. We ran into him at a bar one night, and one of the guys with us got busted for having a fake ID. We decided to to leave, and my buddy asked his friend if we could go to his house and play the stereo. He said, "Yeah, but don't turn it up. I'm tired of taking sh!t from my neighbors." My buddy said okay, and this guy grabbed his arm and said, "I'm serious. I don't need any more trouble with them. Keep it low." (Oh, some of the stories I've heard about this guy! Sadly, he died a few years later.)

So, we go to the house, we're pulling out records and listening to them, but at a respectful volume. About three hours later, somewhere close to midnight, he comes home, and he is lit up. He comes in the living room, looks at us and says, "What the #&@ is this @&(@?" I think we had an old Stones record on. One of us said, "Hey, we did what you said, we kept the volume down so we wouldn't get you in trouble with the neighbors." He said, "@**^ my neighbors! Where's my Ozzy tape?" Grabbed the Ozzy tape, slapped it in the cassette deck, turned the volume up to about eleventyseven, turned around and screamed, "LET ME SEE YOUR #&)@&ING HANDS!" He actually wrote that on the tape case when he made me a copy. He was a wild man, but I kind of wish I'd gotten to know him a little more. My buddy still misses him dearly, and still goes to the cemetery every year to leave him a beer.

Alan,

Thirty-six years. It doesn't seem that long ago to me, but it has to be.

I saw Ozzy with Randy a month or so before the accident, and it was incredible. Randy was one of the most precise, disciplined players I've ever seen. And then, I caught Ozzy again just a couple of weeks after they brought in Brad Gillis. It was easy to see that Ozzy was having a hard time with it all. He had such a sad, lost look in his eyes, but he and the whole band gave it all they had and I thought they were great. I was so impressed by Brad. I kept thinking how it must have felt to be in his position. Those two gigs have stayed with me all these years.

Goldtop Lloyd

One of my favorites to play...

And another...

But this is my absolute favorite to play.

These 3 songs take me back to circa ‘85, a holiday with my best friend to Wales.

These songs rang out of the “ghetto blaster” as we fished a Lake Bala, along side Meat Loaf and Status Quo!

My friend wasn’t a great Ozzy fan, but he stuck with me as I was totally hypnotised by RR’s playing!

Another friend cracked a joke that “Goodbye to Romance” was written when Ozzy got married to Sharon! Harsh!!

Reactions: jxe
Tuesday in the wee hours. No sleep tonight. Hopefully everybody had a good Monday.

I'm listening to some Adele, so how about an Adele "T-O-O-T"? "Rolling in The Deep".

A nifty version by some members of The U.S.A.F.! USA! USA! USA!

Adele and some of her band in a radio station somewhere. The Netherlands maybe? A girl in gloves? Yum. (Unless they're latex, that is.)

Goldtop

The Kinks and "Livin' On a Thin Line". Whoa! Until I watched this video, I had completely forgotten that this tune had been used in The Sopranos. I forgoddaboudit ovah here!

Goldtop

Tuesday and I'm having a ton of pain today. My advice to everyone is never get old(er) and banged up because it stinks.

Ahhh, here we are. A little Zep should help things get better. "Ramble On". Now's the time - the time is now.

Goldtop

And if Led Zeppelin can't help me, then I know Dread Zeppelin can! Charlie Haj on towels and water.

"Good Times Bad Times".

Goldtop

And if Led Zeppelin can't help me, then I know Dread Zeppelin can! Charlie Haj on towels and water.

"Good Times Bad Times".

Goldtop

Charlie Hodge, the man who brings me my scarves and water, Charlie Hodge.

NSFW...

Alright, Friday night at last. Not an easy week, but now it's over and I'm happy.

Dude No. 1 - 'I know! Let's call it The Funk Railroad!'

Dude No. 2 - 'Far out! What a Grand idea!'

Grand Funk Railroad and "American Band".

Goldtop Lloyd

'We're comin' to your town; We'll take your pan....'. Nevermind

There are not enough words for how much respect, admiration, and just plain love & affection I have for this lady. What I'd give to meet Dolly Parton. The songs she's written, the kindness she's shown other artists like Porter Wagoner, George Jones, etc., the charity work she's done by getting over 100 million (!) books into the hands of children (check out her Imagination Library), her American Eagle Foundation (a sanctuary for bald eagles), all the jobs she provides at Dollywood... She is amazing.

This video is of her on vacation in Ireland. Gracious, polite, giving... That's Dolly. I love her.

"Could Only Happen in Ireland".

Goldtop Lloyd

Good Saturday Morning Everybody! Here's hoping we each have a great weekend.

I haven't posted in a while and there are a number of reasons for that, but there's one in particular I'd like to share with you. I DO NOT mean for this to veer off into a territory that isn't appropriate for The PRS Forum, so if the moderators decide it shouldn't be here please delete it and accept my apology.

I am currently battling with the management of the apartment complex where I live. The reason? I allegedly voiced an opinion that the manager and the two maintenance men don't agree with. Here is a very condensed version of what happened:

Several days ago I was sitting in the hall outside my door having a conversation with a neighbor lady. From the far end of the hallway, roughly 150 feet away, a maint. man came charging toward me yelling that I needed to shut my mouth and that I was a liar. He claimed that he heard me say something negative about another employee who works here and he didn't like it. He yelled at me and called me a liar at least six times, and even told me that I needed to 'shut up or else'. At one point his helper joined in and they both let me have it. This all took place in front of several other tenants.

What did I say about the other employee? Nothing. The neighbor and I were discussing a fire drill that had been scheduled for that day and then cancelled.

I went to the office to complain to the manager, and as is usually the case, she wasn't there. (She's supposed to be in her office six hours a day, and she rarely does half that number.) So I told the asst. manager. He told me I needed to call the dist. supervisor in Houston and gave me her number. I went home to call her, but before I could get to the phone there was a knock on my door. It was the manager. She read me the riot act! She claimed she had heard about what had happened and she had checked it out with her two maint. men and the tenant I had been talking to, and that their stories all matched. She wouldn't even let me try to tell my side. She accused me of saying something bad about a member of the staff, and I told her it never happened. (Incidentally, there hadn't been enough time for her to check anything because she knocked on my door about five minutes after the incident. For another, I hadn't said anything negative about the woman in question in the first place.)

Then the manager told me that I was not allowed to say or think anything negative about a staff member, and if I did I could be evicted on grounds of slander. You read that right - I was not allowed to say or think anything negative about a staff member. At first I thought she was kidding, but of course she wasn't. I told her that I was free to say and think anything I wanted as long as it wasn't something harmful like yelling fire, etc.. She then told me if I had any negative thoughts or opinions about anything or anybody I needed to keep them to myself.

There is a lot more to this, but to keep it fairly short here, I've called the dist. supervisor in Houston four times and left messages; no call back yet and at this point I don't expect one. I've also called the company in California that owns the property. No call back. And I've also called the Dept. of HUD which oversees this property. They won't help me; they say it's a privately owned company and they (HUD) aren't allowed to get involved. I can't afford an attorney, so I called the local legal aid organization. No help. So basically, it's me versus the world. Or at least it feels that way.

I realize that none of you reading this know me personally. But after all these years I would hope that you know me well enough to agree that (A) I'm not a liar, (B) I don't try to cause trouble, and (C) I love America. To be an American citizen living a quiet, peaceful life in this country and be told I can be kicked out in the street if I don't think and/or speak the way I'm told? Does that sound right or fair to you?

With all of this going on, this song seems fitting. The Who and "Won't Get Fooled Again". The hurt and anger and frustration I feel - It's in Roger's scream.

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited:
Back