What is Goldtop listening to?

Good Wednesday Morning! It's Elvis month, and today is ELVIS DAY!!!

This is one of the first tracks ever laid down by Elvis, Scotty, Bill, and Sam Phillips at Memphis Recording Services. A cover of Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon of Kentucky". Sounds pretty good considering there wasn't a PRS guitar in sight!

Goldtop Lloyd

The King! This one of his rehearsal takes of "Hi Heel Sneakers" with a little tease of Bobbie Gentry at the start. (Wait; That doesn't sound exactly right... Aw, forget it. You know what I mean.)

The Goldtop

In the interest of Music History, here is the original version of "Hi Heel Sneakers" by the man who wrote it, Mr. Tommy Tucker.

Goldtop

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when the news broke about Elvis's death. One of my best friends growing up was back staying with his grandparents while his parents moved from North Carolina to Kansas. His grandparents lived in the house across the street from me, the same house he lived in before they moved to NC. We were sitting in the pantry there, listening to the Pirates game on KDKA radio when they broke in with the announcement.

Two items related to Elvis, but not Elvis. First up, the late great Bill Hicks talking about Elvis and Charlie Hodge. NSFW for some language.

The Odds, "Wendy Under The Stars". The story of a young man losing his virginity that night. This is the clean version - there's another version where the chorus is not "...made love..." I first heard this song on an Internet program called NoneRadio, which was usually co-hosted by Mike Keneally. Side note - the Odds opened for Warren Zevon on a tour, and also served as Warren's band on that tour. I wish I had seen that.

Bobbie Gentry. Holy Moses How I dig Bobbie Gentry! What a voice. That slow, easy, laid back, Southern lilt of hers. It makes me want to sit in the porch swing with her on a hot, humid Saturday evening watching the lightning in the faraway sky, smelling the rain coming, and listening to her talk about... Anything. If she was selling tickets to listen to her reading the phone book I'd be the first in line.

I love The South. The history of honest, hard working down-to-earth people. The beautiful land and the crops. The families that stick together through good times and bad, the helping your neighbor, all of that sort of thing. And the music. THE MUSIC.

This isn't a lecture series so I'll shut up. But I like Bobbie Gentry! "Ode to Billy Joe".

Goldtop LPC

Elvis! This one is a bit of a rarity. It's a love song called "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road".

Goldtop - Four Flat Tires (thanks Billy!)

A little Gospel Elvis. This is "In The Garden". Some pretty scenes in this clip, including some great yellow roses from Texas. Cool!

In The Goldtop (Huh?)

Bobbie Gentry. Holy Moses How I dig Bobbie Gentry! What a voice. That slow, easy, laid back, Southern lilt of hers. It makes me want to sit in the porch swing with her on a hot, humid Saturday evening watching the lightning in the faraway sky, smelling the rain coming, and listening to her talk about... Anything. If she was selling tickets to listen to her reading the phone book I'd be the first in line.

I love The South. The history of honest, hard working down-to-earth people. The beautiful land and the crops. The families that stick together through good times and bad, the helping your neighbor, all of that sort of thing. And the music. THE MUSIC.

This isn't a lecture series so I'll shut up. But I like Bobbie Gentry! "Ode to Billy Joe".

Goldtop LPC

It must be response video day!

Jill Sobule (with Hot Tuna from a few years ago) - "Where Is Bobbie Gentry?"

The young King. (EP was never a prince. Rather, always a King but in varying ages... Rock Royalty has its own protocol.) Here he is doing "Treat Me Nice" with a nifty little mix on it.

Goldtop - Treat me nice, willya?!?

What I would have given to be down in The Jungle Room when they were working on this. (Or any other time for that matter.) This is an alternate take - or two - of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall".

Goldtop

Oh, Baby! The King in a clip from The '68 Comeback Special. All tight black leather and whutnut, doing his thang on a tiny stage. In my opinion, one of the coolest things ever on the NBC network.

"One Night With You".

Goldtop

I know she's in a little Ferrari - I see the Prancing Horse on the grille - but what's Elvis driving? It's too early to be a Cobra isn't it? I'm not into cars that much anymore...

This is a nice remix of "Spinout".

Goldtop LPC

Many years ago when I was married to my ex-mule, she knew I was a HUGE Elvis fan. One day I was listening to this on a CD, and when it was done she asked me 'Was that about one of his old girlfriends or what?'. I said 'Huh?'. She said 'Who's he talking about there?'. I said 'He's talking about his love letter being returned to him.' 'Oh' she said. 'Then who is Cinda?'. 'What?'. She said 'He keeps saying return to Cinda... I don't get it.' No, you sure don't. Add that to the list, Sweetheart. 100% True Story.

The King doing "Return to Sender".

Goldtop Lloyd - Still thankful to be rid of her.

Back