What is Goldtop listening to?

That guy is good. Did you check out his version of "Breaking the Law"? :)

It amazes me that many people simply walk by street performers without taking a few moments to stop and listen. There are some talent folks out there.
My pal Duayer sent this one to me a few years ago and I've loved it ever since.

That was an awesome video man, thanks! Awesome find Duayer.

I just found out I lost a guitar I was really really trying to trade for and I'm moping around about it haha It stings and there is only one album that could possibly accompany my mood right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy is good. Did you check out his version of "Breaking the Law"? :)

It amazes me that many people simply walk by street performers without taking a few moments to stop and listen. There are some talent folks out there.

My pal Duayer sent this one to me a few years ago and I've loved it ever since.

I am glad you liked it. it's strange, right now, at this moment, I am at MSN "talking" with a friend and he is talking about doing something like in this video (playing for change).

I just listen to the concerts I've already collected so part of my audio/video fix from the last few weeks:

Miles Davis - Charlie Parker - Sarah Vaughan – Carnegie Hall – NYC – 25 Dec 1949
Miles Davis All Stars – Birdland – NYC – 2 & 3 May 1952
John Coltrane & Thelonius Monk – Five Spot – NYC – Nov 1957
The Beatles – Decca Records Audition Recording – Jan 1962
Andrés Segovia – Concertgebouw - Kleine Zaal – Amsterdam, NL – 11 Mar 1962
Wes Montgomery – Workshop - Hamburg, GER – 1965
Neil Young – Original Studio Demos – Elektra Records – NYC – Sep 1965
Syd Barrett – Original Studio Demos – 1965-1967
Yardbirds & Jeff Beck – San Remo, IT – 27, 28 Jan 1966
Wake for MLK – Hendrix/Buddy Guy/Joni Mitchell/Janis Joplin – Generation Club - NYC – 7 Apr 1968
The Beatles – Acoustic Rehearsal at George’s House – Return from India – May 1968
Santana Blues Band – Ludlow’s Garage – Cincinnati, OH – 21 Oct 1969
Jimi Hendrix – 1st Show - Woody Vasulky Film / Voices of Harlem – Fillmore East - NYC – 1 Jan 1970
Jimi Hendrix – 2nd Show - Jan Blohm Balcony Video - Fillmore East – NYC - 1 Jan 1970
Bill Evans Trio – Ilkka Kuusisto House – Lautasaari, Finland – Late 1969 / Early 1970
Bob Marley – Bob’s Home Movies – 1970s
Bob Marley – Acoustic – Tape from Bob’s Mom – 1970s
Howlin’ Wolf & Hubert Sumlin – Big Duke’s – Chicago, IL – 20 June 1970
Captain Beefheart – Pepperland – 18 Sep 1970
Tony Williams Lifetime & John McLaughlin – City Hall – Newcastle, UK – 6 Nov 1970
Black Sabbath – Yorkshire TV Broadcast - Paris, France – 20 Dec 1970
Art Blakey / Tony Williams / Stanley Clarke – Munich, GER – 18 Aug 1972
Zappa / Mothers / Duke / Ponty – Opopopa – Stockholm, SWE – 21 Aug 1973
Lenny Breau – Guitar Clinic – Berklee College – Boston, MA – 1975
Pat Martino – 46 Songs – Pat’s Personal Studio Demos – 1975 - 1982
Randy Rhoads – Violet Fox Studio Demos – 1975
Paul Ray & Cobras / Little Stevie Vaughan – Unknown Venue - Texas - 1975
Robin Trower – Bill Graham’s House Feed - Winterland – San Francisco, CA – 1975
Pink Floyd – Boston Gardens – Boston, MA – 18 June 1975
Flo & Eddie & Lou Reed – Bottom Line – NYC – 1 Oct 1975
Gillespie / Terry / Eldridge / Brown / Peterson / Bellson – Stuttgart, GER – 9 Oct 1975
Fleetwood Mac – Capitol Centre – Largo, MD – 15 Oct 1975
Al Jarreau – NDR Studios - Hamburg, GER – 17 Oct 1975
Larry Coryell & the 11th House – Village Gate – NYC – 10 Nov 1975
Paul McCartney & Wings – Myers Music Bowl – Melbourne, AUS – 13 Nov 1975
Queen – Hammersmith Odeon – BBC - London, UK – 24 Dec 1975
John McLaughlin & Jeff Beck – Riverside Theatre – Milwaukee, WI – 10 May 1975

I know it's a pretty weird mix of artists, but only a small fraction. I have more than 4100 live performances archived from 1937-2012. Never at a loss for what to listen to or watch. I like it all.

Forgive me, but your previous post stands in bold contrast to a statement you made not so long ago (copied below). Am I to assume that you don't listen to all of that fantastic music for entertainment?

I haven't listened to music for entertainment in many years.

Disregard the title. Then name of the song is The Sound Wave Reversing by Man or Astroman. Someone set the music to their own video.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;21149 said:
Forgive me, but your previous post stands in bold contrast to a statement you made not so long ago (copied below). Am I to assume that you don't listen to all of that fantastic music for entertainment?

Good point Hans. I hope I can explain.
I still occasionally try to listen just to entertain myself but it's really been futile for a long time. I just can't seem to enjoy listening to music the way I used to; on that more elementary level.

I began studying the written note in 1965, still study today, and it seems I've lost my 'consumer's ear' as most commercial stuff just doesn't reach me anymore. Maybe it's the college degrees, or 32 years as an educator, but the commercial stuff just seems so primitive and simplistic, and I don't really learn anything from it anymore. I still love the commercial stuff, but rarely listen to it so I will continue to love it.

When I listen now, I totally concentrate on the music rather than just hearing it in the background. Not really listening for enjoyment, but a more critical listening in hopes to derive some education from it, which I do enjoy. So I guess in that way it's come full circle. I do derive enjoyment but in a much different way and for a much different reason than before. Yes, it has taken some of the fun out of it, but I wouldn't change it back now and wouldn't give up my education for anything. I hope that makes some sense the way I tried to explain, but that's the way it's been for me for some years. I don't always understand it either.

Music is such a wonderful thing. It can be so many different things to so many people. It is the superior language.

As I write this I am listening to the first OHMphrey album, which I somehow never knew existed, even though I love Umphrey's McGee. It's a few guys from OHM, and a few from Umphrey's McGee. This is a real guitar showcase. The first song has an alternate picked/tremelo picked line that's about as fast and precise as I've ever heard from a player whose name doesn't rhyme with Shmeola. Great bass playing too.

I love Rhapsody!

New ZZ Top album/cd/whatever comes out Tuesday 9-11 (hopefully). Til then, here's a dose of blues...

May you all have a great weekend. :cool:

Goldtop

One of the most incredible street performers I ever had the pleasure of seeing was in the 1980s in Detroit. He was dressed in ratty old tux tails, knee high moccasins, white face and a big red clown nose. To hear his violin singing the Etudes and Caprices of Nicolo Paganini was something I did not expect. Standing there listening for more than 2 hours and totally blown away. In that time I must have put $50 in his violin case. He knew every classical piece I asked him to play and he played it flawlessly from memory. The best on the street I've ever seen.

Keith Moon died thirty-four years ago yesterday. IMO, he was a genius, and an absolute original. I can only imagine the music he and Ox must be playing together somewhere right now...

Goldtop

Back