What is an equivalent fret size??

Richbintempe

Unquestionably, PAUL REED SMITH GUITARS have some of the nicest-most refined-carefuly excellent fretjobs. Now that they’ve been around awhile, players are starting to wear out their frets!!! What is the size replacement fret to use on these guitars?? Do I order pre-arched fret-wire from PRS?? Is there an equivalent manufactured by sombody?? HELP ME & other LUTHIERS keep these worn-out PRS guitars running!! Thanks

I’m led to believe that PRS guitars use Jescar fretwire. The standard is 47104 while DGTs use 57110. They’re approximately the equivalents of Dunlop 6150 and 6100.

I've tried stainless frets a couple of times they just don't work for me there is a sound ( like a high pitch tapping ) they make when fretting and just don't seem as smooth when bending. I'm sure they are great for some I just don't care for them.

I keep hearing that and have never experienced it. Especially the 'less smooth bending' should be the opposite.

Agree 6150 is 'close enough' to PRS size to work just fine.
John Ingram did a refret on an 86 I had, was fantastic.

Haven't had any done in stainless for myself, but will have.

Many suggests using SS jumbo frets is much better. May i know what were the frets used in my PRS S2. (April 2019 manufactured date).
Thanks

Does PRS S2 models use two kinds of pick ups? The 85/15S & the FHS? Mine is 85/15S , May I ask the difference.
Thanks

Sorry to necro an older thread, but does anyone know if the PTC will do refrets with stainless steel or is only option the original fret material?

Back