What is a 513?

matonanjin

For the bright members of this forum the title should be self evident. But exactly what is a 513? This curiosity stream started with this guitar selling on the auction with the Kinks Firebird. So it is academic at this point since the sale is over but I'm curious. It isn't in the current catalog. There is a 509, which is similar. They are both H-S-H configuration. This, I would think, would make it versatile. Was the 513 replaced by the 509? What is the difference between the two pickup systems? The 509 has coil tapping toggle switches. 3 single coils?! I can't see toggle switches on the photo. Push-pull? I'm still looking at the Special Semi-Hollow and viewing this as an alternative. But the Semi-Hollow has the advantage of being a lot lighter.

513 came out as a very versatile guitar, it had 5 individual pickups with 13 different sound options. It has a traditional 5 way switch and then a 3 way switch which changed from Single Coil, Humbucker, Heavy Humbucker tones.

The 509 is the latest iteration of that lineage.

Here's a cool article that highlights the 513 and 408 (which would be similar to switching of 509)
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/513_vs_408_how_are_they_different

Wow! @Bowtiefanatc really helpful! Even a video. The 513 in that photo does have the 2 blade switches; it just didn't show up.

5 pickups; 13 combinations! I get it!!!! :cool:

thank you.

They are discontinued but this doesn't give any impact about the assessment, that they are amazing guitars. I´m proud of having convinced (currently) 240 513 owners and one future owner to join the 513 group at Facebook.

68438389_3790041807676371_2006703222856613888_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have not tried a 509 yet.
My 513 is always near the top spot of my guitars and often the first to grab when jamming with new folks.
One of the bigger necks in the PRS line up ( when it had the 513 carve, I found it similar to the Pattern Vintage on the 594 )
The 25 1/4 scale gives it little more tension if you like that or want to down tune.
I really like going from single coil to Heavy hum bucker mode :) just makes me smile.

IMG_3103 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

The are discontinued and amazing. I´m proud of having convinced (currently) 240 513 owners and one future owner to join the 513 group at Facebook.
I tried to join but have no idea who designed the 513 birds (I didn't know they were different.) I have no clue on the question something about the 513 harness. I gave up:rolleyes::(

In general I send a message asking for a evidence of ownership. But if those guys don´t reply they stay out. Different to the PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide group we have the core rule of the 513 ownership. The one guy without is the only exception. Therefore, @matonanjin, show your 513 and you will get access.
And yes there are 513 birds...

@Rider1260 ´s 513 has got those 513 birds!

Essentially, the 509 has replaced the 513. It has the same basic specs although the 509 PU's are different. They should feel basically identical to play as they are very similar - both 25.25" scale for example

The main difference is of course the 3-way blade which changes the guitar from a SSS, to a HSH (with the two Humbuckers in 'Clear' mode) and HSH (with the Humbuckers in 'Heavy' Mode). As such, you get 13 different PU options. You don't get the option to run the guitar in HSS or SSH - not without having to use both blade switches.

The 509 has individual toggles for each Humbucker to split them or run as a full Humbucker. This means the guitar can be run as a SSS, HSH, HSS or SSH. That means you can go from a Single Coil Neck to a Humbucker Bridge with just the 5-way where as you would need to flick both the 3way and 5way on the 513. Because it has just 1 Humbucker voice (for want of a better word), you get 9 different PU Options.

I believe the 509 is closer to the 'Clear' rather than the Heavy option but not quite the same as either. Some prefer the 509 because of the option of individual Coil splitting options. If you want/need to play a song with a Humbucker Bridge and Single coil neck (the HSS configuration) you can easily do this with a simple flick of the mini-toggle and just use the 5-way blade as you would with a HSS strat. Some people prefer the 513 because it offers more options - two voicings for each Humbucker (as well as the split option of course). I have the 509 myself because the 513 wasn't a 'new' option at the time I was looking for this 'type' of PRS. I don't feel this is a lesser instrument because you only have the 1 voicing of each HB and the option to run my 509 as a HSS (or SSH if I wanted) for a whole song/set actually works well for me. I don't know how much use I would get from the different voicing on the 513.

The 4 extra options are the different voiced humbucks either on their own (2 extra) or in combination with the middle PU (another 2 extra. Position 3 (ie just the middle SC) is exactly the same regardless of the position of the 3 way blade (513) or mini-toggles (509).

At the end of the day, apart from the different options of the 3-way or mini-toggles, both of these should feel very similar to play because they are the same scale length with the same neck (I believe) and the same type of PU's in terms of size and position. If you dig hard and/or play directly over the middle PU for example, you may want to lower it or change where you pick.

I don't know what other info you want or need. The major issue is likely to be finding a 513 used where as the 509 is much more easier to find and find one in the colour you want. It may also be easier to go to a PRS dealer store and get the opportunity to play a 509. If you like the way this feels and plays, you should know how a 513 would feel and its playability (unless its set-up differently of course). They do sound different though as the PU's are different but apart from that, they are incredibly similar instruments

Relatively new to the 513 game but loved it so much that I bought 4 over one year and even converted a band mate.
So here's my take for better or for worse.
Its 3 guitars in one.
Guitar 1 in single coil mode is basically your strat, complete with 5 way switch with the inbetween sounds. I have A Bed with my 57 Hotrod strat and the 513 (particularly the rosewood with the braz neck) shines

Guitar 2 in clear humbucker mode is a vintage low output humbucker guitar with great clarity. Think a particularly articulate les paul or even p90 guitar. Again a 5 way switch for some cool in between sounds that are thicker than Guitar 1

Guitar 3 (my favourite) with Heavy Humbuckers is a curious mix. The neck humbucker sound is thicker than any Les Paul or ES I have encountered and full of harmonic goodness. The bridge is like a fat high output humbuckers great for both palm muting and leads though perhaps not the tightest djenty sound.

Another way of looking at the 513 is that it is an immense recording tool that increases

<continued>
Another way of looking at the 513 is that it is an immense recording tool that increases your pallette. Almost like upgrading from a 6 color pencil set to a 13 color pencil set and you will always find the colour (sound) you want.

Lastly there are differences in how different 513s sound. Though all of them do all sounds well, for me, the original braz rosewood neck does strat sounds better and the standard with mahogany neck does LP sounds better.

For the bright members of this forum the title should be self evident. But exactly what is a 513? This curiosity stream started with this guitar selling on the auction with the Kinks Firebird. So it is academic at this point since the sale is over but I'm curious. It isn't in the current catalog. There is a 509, which is similar. They are both H-S-H configuration. This, I would think, would make it versatile. Was the 513 replaced by the 509? What is the difference between the two pickup systems? The 509 has coil tapping toggle switches. 3 single coils?! I can't see toggle switches on the photo. Push-pull? I'm still looking at the Special Semi-Hollow and viewing this as an alternative. But the Semi-Hollow has the advantage of being a lot lighter.

Everyone who replied to this thread explained it well. The guitar you link from Heritage I purchased. It was a ridiculously great price for a private stock. I had 513 once and sold it. Shortly after I regretted it. I’m happy to have this one, it is absolutely gorgeous. The tones are incredible, Swiss Army knife of guitars. Here are some photos

GGlt0Un.jpg

GspaFCh.jpg

t0Zc9d2.jpg

cfLzVhd.jpg

Everyone who replied to this thread explained it well. The guitar you link from Heritage I purchased. It was a ridiculously great price for a private stock. I had 513 once and sold it. Shortly after I regretted it. I’m happy to have this one, it is absolutely gorgeous. The tones are incredible, Swiss Army knife of guitars. Here are some photos

You got that guitar!!!!! Incredible. I got the impression that it perhaps hadn't sold which started this whole thread. I'm glad you ended up with it. Enjoy it a very long time! You are right; gorgeous!!

My 509...

As you can see, it barely differs from the 513 other than the 3-way vs 2 mini-toggles.
Beautiful guitar!

@Mozzi As I said before, beautiful guitar. What finish is that?

That's the Fire Red Burst - My favourite 'standard' (as in not a special, custom or Artists colour) and if I could of, all my guitars would be in this scheme...

Back