What is a "10-Top"?

matonanjin

So what, exactly, is a "10-Top"? I can read the description: "A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots."

I still don't get it. I get it is more carefully chosen wood for the top. But maybe if someone could explain it in different terms this dense, old guy could comprehend it.

You realize that you’re much better off not knowing or caring, right? ;)

Never have truer words been spoken. Ignorance is /was bliss. As soon as I saw the topic I thought to myself...NO! Look away! Turn back! before it's too late! Too late... You can't un-see it. I've tried. To resist now is an excercise in futility.

It’s just prettier. There isn’t a special formula. Kind of like people rating other people a 10 based on looks. The human 10 gets bought a few more drinks at the bar. The guitar 10 cost a few more bucks in the store - but you might get it back in free drinks when you play.

It’s just prettier. There isn’t a special formula. Kind of like people rating other people a 10 based on looks. The human 10 gets bought a few more drinks at the bar. The guitar 10 cost a few more bucks in the store - but you might get it back in free drinks when you play.
Ooohhh, I get it. A 10-Top is a ten drink minimum!

To add to the confusion, there is a Ten top and a Ten top wood library, that isn't more expensive ..... if true why have the distinction?

To add to the confusion, there is a Ten top and a Ten top wood library, that isn't more expensive ..... if true why have the distinction?
The Wood library top is hand selected by the dealer that’s making that particular run of guitars

try not to get too involved with this topic. you can either look at the guitar or worry about it ,or play the guitar,

Back