What if I WANT the finish to fade?

mojo1fan

Bouncing off of the finish fading threads.....

I'd love to have a Trampas Green Zach Myers SE, if I knew the finish would fade to more of a gray finish and less green. Is there a somewhat "controlled" way to make the finish fade?

Any morning sun facing window and time will do the trick.

The problem with fading is that it’s difficult to predict what the result will be, especially since the wood the fade is on will change color over time, and each piece seems to do that differently.

I'd go along with the previous advice...a south-facing window or UV light source, time, and keep your eye on it.

Curious if you did opt for the intentional faded finish, if you, say, covered 85% of the guitar with a blanket from the bottom up, and slowly and systematically slipped the blanket further down the guitar, you could create your own "fade finish" using just sunlight.

Probably wouldn't produce that great of results...:p

Last edited:
Some modern window glass blocks UV-A, the only one to penetrate. Standard glass blocks UV-B & UV-C. Personally, I think, being poly, it will take longer than you'll be willing to wait.

Bouncing off of the finish fading threads.....

I'd love to have a Trampas Green Zach Myers SE, if I knew the finish would fade to more of a gray finish and less green. Is there a somewhat "controlled" way to make the finish fade?

You have to be little careful here. The advice for the UV etc. is right, but due to chemicals, etc. the fade will continue when you think you "have it where you want it". Take it slow and after taking it out of the sun, let it stay out for a while and see if the color continues to fade. UV is breaking down the coatings, etc. and that might continue after you take it out of the sun.

Good luck! I tried to get my whale blue to fade for years. Some do, some don't.

Back