What if household appliances were like tube amps?

If household appliances were like tube amps, you’d hear conversations like this:

“Is that a real ‘58 Philco, or a reissue?”

“Oh it’s real! Even has the original cloth covered wiring, power cord, and a few of the tubes are period-correct.”

“Wow. I thought it might be a relic’d reissue. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched TV on a real one.”

“It’s awesome, the picture tube still works. But that’s nothing. I’ve got a vintage Electrolux in mint condition in my collection. Original tubes and everything. Also — please keep this to yourself — I’ve got a line on a pink ‘55 Frigidaire that’s pretty close to mint, and get this - it comes with the original cardboard packing box, the bill of sale to the original owner from an appliance store in Arkansas that’s still in business, the hang tag. and a set of 1950s refrigerator magnets in the original bag! The cardboard box is rough, but what do you expect after being in an old guy’s basement for 64 years. Who even saved boxes back then? Well, this guy, I guess. If I land it, I’m going to haul it to Arkansas and take a pic of myself with it in front of the store.”

“OMG! Original and with all the freezer candy? Amazing. You’re going to spend a lot of money on that. Maybe 40-50K. Hey, I’ve seen some nice restored ones, if you’re looking.”

“Oh, I won’t accept a refin. There’s a vintage refrigerator shop in Nashville that’ll do an appraisal for me, and inspect it to make sure it isn’t a fake. The fakes and restorations never have the right condensers or door hinges, that’s the giveaway.”

“So are you going to the Vintage Appliance Show this year?”

“Oh yeah, I like seeing my forum brothers, and sometimes there’s a find.”

“Les, I dunno man, that’s never gonna happen, with old appliances and stuff.”

“Really? https://www.antiqueappliances.com/antique-refrigerators/

Last edited:
Awesome post. I was worried about this thread for a while but this post has the ironic snarky factor in full effect.
If household appliances were like tube amps, you’d hear conversations like this:

“Is that a real ‘58 Philco, or a reissue?”

“Oh it’s real! Even has the original cloth covered wiring, power cord, and a few of the tubes are period-correct.”

“Wow. I thought it might be a relic’d reissue. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched TV on a real one.”

“It’s awesome, the picture tube still works. But that’s nothing. I’ve got a vintage Electrolux in mint condition in my collection. Original tubes and everything. Also — please keep this to yourself — I’ve got a line on a pink ‘55 Frigidaire that’s pretty close to mint, and get this - it comes with the original cardboard packing box, the bill of sale to the original owner from an appliance store in Arkansas that’s still in business, the hang tag. and a set of 1950s refrigerator magnets in the original bag! The cardboard box is rough, but what do you expect after being in an old guy’s basement for 64 years. Who even saved boxes back then? Well, this guy, I guess. If I land it, I’m going to haul it to Arkansas and take a pic of myself with it in front of the store.”

“OMG! Original and with all the freezer candy? Amazing. You’re going to spend a lot of money on that. Maybe 40-50K. Hey, I’ve seen some nice restored ones, if you’re looking.”

“Oh, I won’t accept a refin. There’s a vintage refrigerator shop in Nashville that’ll do an appraisal for me, and inspect it to make sure it isn’t a fake. The fakes and restorations never have the right condensers or door hinges, that’s the giveaway.”

“So are you going to the Vintage Appliance Show this year?”

“Oh yeah, I like seeing my forum brothers, and sometimes there’s a find.”

“Les, I dunno man, that’s never gonna happen, with old appliances and stuff.”

“Really? https://www.antiqueappliances.com/antique-refrigerators/

I remember my grandparents had a big Zenith console TV. What a behemoth that was
We got our first color TV in about 1967. It came home, I think, while my mom was at the hospital having my sister. All I really remember was when the screen blew up leaving a crack in the tube from top to bottom...mom wasn’t home and I was watching TV at the time on the couch. There was a huge flash and probably a loud noise, which I don’t remember since I was 3, and Dad grabbed me by the back of the shirt and air-lifted me to behind the couch for cover. It was one of those giant Zenith consoles that we had for quite a while.

Even though it doesn’t have a fly-back transformer, this is why I respect the power of a tube amp today and don’t poke around inside irreverently to wake the Kracken.

If appliances were like tube amps, someone would make digital models of toasters and stuff...

“Hey, check out my digital toaster modeler.”

“Does it make toast?”

“Well, it makes something that’s about 95% exactly like toast, even up to 98% like toast if you buy third party toast sims.”

“What if you want, you know, real toast?”

“No one can even tell the difference once you put butter and jam on it, especially in the mix of a meal. People who come over even compliment me on my toast after I’m done cooking.”

“Gee, that’s, uh...great.”

“I really don’t understand toaster cork-sniffer snobs who are still using 1920s technology But even the picky ones are going to be blown away by the Toast-R-FEX Two. And this thing makes 800 kinds of toast. You know, whole wheat, white, rye, English muffins, bagels..."

"What if you want an English muffin light, and a rye or whole wheat dark?"

"Just get the optional footswitch."

Last edited:
Why get this when the modeler does all the great amps?
marshall-fridge.jpg

If appliances were like tube amps, someone would make digital models of toasters and stuff...

“Hey, check out my digital toaster modeler.”

“Does it make toast?”

“Well, it makes something that’s about 95% exactly like toast, even up to 98% like toast if you buy third party toast sims.”

“What if you want, you know, real toast?”

Winner!!!!

Back