What if household appliances were like tube amps?

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
You would turn your tv up full blast then use an attenuator to bring it down to a living room level.

Your toaster would have a toast screamer pedal in front of it.

Your food processor would shred better than any youtube guitarist.

Instead of end tables just use 2 Marshall 4x12s

Your clock radio has a loop function instead of snooze.

Your blender would be a Fender blender.

Your small screen tv is from 1954 but sounds great with those vintage Mullard tubes.

That was just called the 60s.

There was a tube tester at the local drug store where you’d be able to buy just about any tube made. Yes, the drug store. Now we buy tubes and pay prices like we’re doing drug deals. Life comes full circle.

That was just called the 60s.

There was a tube tester at the local drug store where you’d be able to buy just about any tube made. Yes, the drug store. Now we buy tubes and pay prices like we’re doing drug deals. Life comes full circle.

I remember those days. My dad managed a local True Value store. I used to go back to work with him on Friday nights when I was a little kid. They'd let me fill bags of nails for customers. Big bins full of different sized nails. Scoop, bag, weigh. Those were the days.

If old stereo receivers were considered "appliances" instead of "electronics", good old tube radios would hold a strong marketshare. Just think: car radios were far more advanced for their time because they were likely solid-state devices, long before home audio receivers made the jump to solid-state.

Also consider that tubes are less energy efficient than solid-state micro-circuitry. More heat output, less cost-effective, energy-wise. I think that is why more recent appliances use computer chip digital circuitry...rather than tube circuitry...

It would be like living in Thimbleweed Park

SMvyLpW.jpg

Well lots of household appliances were really like tube amps.

TV had tubes powering the cathode ray tube screen. When the picture disappeared, you thumped the set until it came back.
Radio also used them. Radios in cars too.

Grandparents lived with families more. They sat in the corner and snored. They were sort of permanently 'on standby'.

Before fridges were 'larders'. Before washing machines were 'coppers'. Not tube driven, but very low tech. I was a small boy, but recall it well.

Back