What I do not like in PRS guitars

Here's what I wish PRS would improve in one area - vintage style tuners look perfect on these McCarty's, but they are not lockers. So, in order to keep vintage style tuners looking vintage but still able to lock strings, hide the locking mechanism on the back side. Don't use the current locker design with the tall posts and a slotted cap. That ain't vintage. So, please PRS, design, mfg and sell locking tuners that look exactly like the vintage tuners on my McCarty Thinline, but with rotating locker on the back side. Voila - vintage tuners for that total McCarty line that look exactly like vintage tuners from the front.

Regarding the birds, I love mine and I don't care if they're plastic. I love em! So, no problem that you don't, Nadir, each to their own.
It's easy. My two Strats have Fender locking tuners with the dials on the back. I don't know why they don't do this.

Probably only a moan about the prices, I'll throw in that the lampshades can be hard to pull up, and I replaced electronics and pickups in my S2.

I think they seem to have made the S2 pickups better recently though, although in all honesty I think they should do tip of the hat to their competitor (meaning the Epiphone models out there with burst buckers etc) and just ship S2s with an old core pickup like usa 57/08 sets, and leave the new to core, and the Asian pickups to SE lines

I wish they had more models without trems. Yes, the PRS trem works well. I still hate it.

I wish the S2s came with quality pots and switches. I have yet to have major issues with either of my Velas, but I've heard enough stories that I expect the switches and pots to fail - it's a pretty common story. It's funny, you don't hear as much about electronics issues with SEs, it makes no sense that they can't get quality electronics in the S2s.
I didn't want to be accused of bias, so I asked The Count to help me out and go over to the Core page on the PRS website and count 'em up, trem models vs non-trem models.

I also asked Count Chocula to count the S2s. I didn't want anyone claiming that I was...uhm...'fudging' the S2 count. ;)

It took them a while to get back to me, because, you know, they're pretty elementary counters. But they reported that of the Core models, 8 do not have trems, and 9 do. Of the S2 line, non-trem models outnumber the trem models, 8 to 6. That's a pretty decent range of choices if you're not into trems.

Blue beard notwithstanding (I think everyone should have a blue beard and wear a derby, including women) you might be a bit of an outlier in hating trems.

:)

It's easy. My two Strats have Fender locking tuners with the dials on the back. I don't know why they don't do this.
I know, right? I just think if PRS builds a vintage style guitar with vintage tuners, then put PRS locking vintage-looking tuners on it. Best of both worlds. I also agree with improving the electronics. At that almost $1,600 price point that I paid for my TL (now almost $1,800) I believe that quality electronics is not too much to expect in the S2 line. I like the pups, so I'm OK there, and I'm glad PRS put the same tail piece and bridge that's in the core McCarty lineup, so that's a good thing. Lots to like about the S2 lineup, I'd just like to see a couple improvements given the pricing we are paying.

I didn't want to be accused of bias, so I asked The Count to help me out and go over to the Core page on the PRS website and count 'em up, trem models vs non-trem models.

I also asked Count Chocula to count the S2s. I didn't want anyone claiming that I was...uhm...'fudging' the S2 count. ;)

It took them a while to get back to me, because, you know, they're pretty elementary counters. But they reported that of the Core models, 8 do not have trems, and 9 do. Of the S2 line, non-trem models outnumber the trem models, 8 to 6. That's a pretty decent range of choices if you're not into trems.

Blue beard notwithstanding (I think everyone should have a blue beard and wear a derby, including women) you might be a bit of an outlier in hating trems.

:)
With the laughing in between the counted numbers that must have taken a while!!

It's been mentioned already, but the biggest peeve I have is the lack of them in my music room. And the lack of other names in my room to sell off to get more of said brand... but that could all be remedied with a proper lottery ticket.
Oh, woe is ME!:D

How does exclusivity make them play better, sound better, or look better?

I have a couple of PS from runs that were limited to 60 instruments. Big deal.

They could have Paul sign every damn run of guitars, ten zillion of 'em, wouldn't change how I feel about mine. Buying things to achieve exclusivity or status is a fool's errand.
So well said Les……

Well...I got to thinking about things and came u with some more stuff I dislike or that keeps me away from certain guitars. Not a fan of the rotary knob to select pickup options at all. I also dislike a blade switch to do so. I guess I am toggle switch only. I also strongly dislike any mini toggles and the weird shaped pickups. What do you do if you love the guitar but dislike the pickups? You can't change them. Lastly, Please put the Kluson peg or button on the regular barrel tuners. The standard PRS tuners are awesome!

Well...I got to thinking about things and came u with some more stuff I dislike or that keeps me away from certain guitars. Not a fan of the rotary knob to select pickup options at all. I also dislike a blade switch to do so. I guess I am toggle switch only. I also strongly dislike any mini toggles and the weird shaped pickups. What do you do if you love the guitar but dislike the pickups? You can't change them. Lastly, Please put the Kluson peg or button on the regular barrel tuners. The standard PRS tuners are awesome!
Here's the thing about the 408 and the Paul's pickups: Yes they're different, and as a result of their design, they sound fantastic.

In other words, people buy these guitars to get guitars with the pickups, not to get a platform to swap pickups in and out of. I've had a few with these pickups and my current one is my best-sounding guitar, bar none.

The pickups are the reason behind these models.

Personally, I'm not a fan of pull-up, or push-push knobs. I like the mini-toggles. The blade switches work great for me, too. The rotary...nah. Too slow.

Here's the thing about the 408 and the Paul's pickups: Yes they're different, and as a result of their design, they sound fantastic.

In other words, people buy these guitars to get guitars with the pickups, not to get a platform to swap pickups in and out of. I've had a few with these pickups and my current one is my best-sounding guitar, bar none.

The pickups are the reason behind these models.

Personally, I'm not a fan of pull-up, or push-push knobs. I like the mini-toggles. The blade switches work great for me, too. The rotary...nah. Too slow.
I get what you are saying. The downside to that approach is getting a guitar that ultimately may not work for you and then you are stuck with selling it when it is possible a pickup swap could have saved a person from having to take that step. It is also possible that I am not the market/buyer for said guitar. Either way, from a guitar perspective in the overall market, it is pretty polarizing. Kind of like that rotary switch. ;) (yuck)

I get what you are saying. The downside to that approach is getting a guitar that ultimately may not work for you and then you are stuck with selling it when it is possible a pickup swap could have saved a person from having to take that step. It is also possible that I am not the market/buyer for said guitar. Either way, from a guitar perspective in the overall market, it is pretty polarizing. Kind of like that rotary switch. ;) (yuck)
I've been buying guitars from my dealer for 22 years (Jack Gretz), so he knows my taste, plus sends me clips of the guitars recorded through the amps I use before I buy, so I have a good idea what I'm getting into. This has worked every time so far, plus if Jack thinks I won't like something, he'll flat out tell me, "This one isn't your style, Schef, or, "You won't like these pickups."

Only a couple have ever gone back during that period, and that was before Jack started recording demos for me. But in any case, I've never felt stuck with anything that wasn't right for me.

In addition, I always play the guitar in the context of a recording before a purchase is final. If I'm not working on a new track when I buy, I re-record parts into an older track, just to see how everything hangs together.

The important thing from my perspective is that the PRS pickups that can't be swapped out (408, Sig Ltd, 20th PS Anniversary Model) have been fantastic, and I've loved them. They're the most gorgeous sounding pickups I've ever heard, with the articulation of a single coil, plus the power and lack of noise of a humbucker. Absolutely love them.

Again, however, I know what I'm getting. My motto is 'try before you buy' or at least have a period where you can return the guitar if it's not your thing. I always know right away if something works or not.

Just go buy another brand and shut up! There are enough guitar makers out there that you can have your pick, so why come on here and bash a brand. If you don't like it, buy something else. I just lost 2 dogs in 6 days and you're bitching about a guitar brand. Just go buy something else.

I've been buying guitars from my dealer for 22 years (Jack Gretz), so he knows my taste, plus sends me clips of the guitars recorded through the amps I use before I buy, so I have a good idea what I'm getting into. This has worked every time so far, plus if Jack thinks I won't like something, he'll flat out tell me, "This one isn't your style, Schef, or, "You won't like these pickups."

Only a couple have ever gone back during that period, and that was before Jack started recording demos for me. But in any case, I've never felt stuck with anything that wasn't right for me.

In addition, I always play the guitar in the context of a recording before a purchase is final. If I'm not working on a new track when I buy, I re-record parts into an older track, just to see how everything hangs together.

The important thing from my perspective is that the PRS pickups that can't be swapped out (408, Sig Ltd, 20th PS Anniversary Model) have been fantastic, and I've loved them. They're the most gorgeous sounding pickups I've ever heard, with the articulation of a single coil, plus the power and lack of noise of a humbucker. Absolutely love them.

Again, however, I know what I'm getting. My motto is 'try before you buy' or at least have a period where you can return the guitar if it's not your thing. I always know right away if something works or not.
Like you, I immediately know if something works or not. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is nice that you have "a guy" that you trust and depend on to go to and who knows what you like etc. That is cool.

The next time I get a chance to play one of those guitars I will do so and see how it jives. :)

Like you, I immediately know if something works or not. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is nice that you have "a guy" that you trust and depend on to go to and who knows what you like etc. That is cool.

The next time I get a chance to play one of those guitars I will do so and see how it jives. :)
Yeah, Jack's a sweetheart.

I think the narrower bridge pickup on the PG pickups is more to my taste than the original wider 408 pickups, but it's probably splitting hairs (though that's what we do!). You may or may not find the guitars to your taste, but it might be interesting to have a strum or two with the type of amp you play to find out.

I especially love the tone with a clean amp (for me, 'clean' always has a little bit of hair). There's a richness and warmth Fender style single coil instruments lack, yet there's also a nice sparkle that goes missing on some humbucker instruments. Just a gorgeous sound.

For those who find Fenders too thin or wiry-sounding for their style of play, it's the perfect pickup for cleaner sounds. Even in humbucker mode there's sparkle and there's less tendency to make the amp sound mushy at the bottom. The pickups also sound great with gain, but I'm not a metal player or chugger, so I have no idea whether they'll meet those kinds of needs.

If I could only keep one guitar, I think it'd be that 2016 20th PS Anniversary model with the PG pickups and narrowfield in the middle.

Back