What I do not like in PRS guitars

I'm not a huge fan of how spread out the controls are on most models. On stoptail guitars it's not a problem at all, but if you've got a trem arm, it's almost always in the way of at least one of the controls wherever you leave it. This can sometimes make it difficult to change something quickly without looking.

This is just more proof that making the various options on these guitars is good for the business. I am almost completely opposite of you.

1. ALL of my PRS guitars have birds. To me a PRS HAS to have them. I have passed on really nice guitars because they had dots or moons.

2. I LOVE the 10 and Artist tops. Most of my PRS guitars have 10 or Artist tops. I have a couple that are non 10 and one that is a solid color, they all have birds... See point 1. I can't stand gold tops.

3. This is where we agree. I have a couple with the older style tuners. I much prefer the locking PRS tuners.

This is why PRS makes something for all of our tastes....
I'm right there with you, I passed on a couple good guitars I'm sure because I really prefer the birds. Granted the feel and clarity of the PRS guitars really just draw me in. But I guess that' why there are so many "camps" in guitar. All based on taste.

I don't like that I can't find an ugly one..
look harder :p:
0325270_1800x1800.jpg

No substantial fundamental dislikes here, only a minor incidental one. I am not really fond of the position of the pickup selector on my Starla. Bigsby arm is always in the way and I find that odd for a company with so much well thought trough design choices.

If I would be forced to name anything else, is would be that there are so many limited, special runs with Paul's signatures, that it takes something away from their exclusiveness (proud owner of a limited edition CU24 from the 1957/2008 series).

The only thing I don't like is having to baby the nitro finishes! I understand that the tone of this finish is the be all and end all from their decades of research, but it down right pisses me off that I have spent into 5 figures on a single guitar, and I can't store it on all guitar stands or polish it with some polishes (old PRS polish included)!! Other than that, my three are the finest instruments I have ever laid my hands on, and easy on the eyes is an understatement!!! Two years ago I did a "blind" guitar tryout (wore a blind fold and they handed me the guitars I wanted to try - all Taylor acoustics, they did not have anything else worth trying) at my local store. I did not want to be seduced by the beautiful woods but instead wanted to judge solely on feel and sound. I walked out empty handed (ended up with a Martin J-40 from Sam Ash online)! I guarantee that had those been PRS electrics, I would have walked out with several and a large debt over my head! Granted that is a bit apples to watermelons comparison, point is, I am certainly not interested in buying on looks alone and any looks issues are a tertiary concern at best!

Regarding birds, I never liked the hollow birds.. :)
I like the hollow birds so much I had PRS put them on my Private Stock acoustic.

This is yet another example of 'can't please everyone'.

I guess that's why threads like these are pretty pointless. But people like to complain.

"Belay that, Captain! People LOVE to complain! Why, you're complaining about this thread!"

"I could be complaining about you, but unfortunately, no one cares."

Last edited:
If I would be forced to name anything else, is would be that there are so many limited, special runs with Paul's signatures, that it takes something away from their exclusiveness (proud owner of a limited edition CU24 from the 1957/2008 series).
How does exclusivity make them play better, sound better, or look better?

I have a couple of PS from runs that were limited to 60 instruments. Big deal.

They could have Paul sign every damn run of guitars, ten zillion of 'em, wouldn't change how I feel about mine. Buying things to achieve exclusivity or status is a fool's errand.

I wish they had more models without trems. Yes, the PRS trem works well. I still hate it.

I wish the S2s came with quality pots and switches. I have yet to have major issues with either of my Velas, but I've heard enough stories that I expect the switches and pots to fail - it's a pretty common story. It's funny, you don't hear as much about electronics issues with SEs, it makes no sense that they can't get quality electronics in the S2s.

I'll add one more to the me-no-like list.

- No switchcraft jacks on SE's. It's a cinch to put one in after you buy an SE, but honestly it should be part of the stock harness, if at least on the $1000+ SE axes.

How does exclusivity make them play better, sound better, or look better?

I have a couple of PS from runs that were limited to 60 instruments. Big deal.

They could have Paul sign every damn run of guitars, ten zillion of 'em, wouldn't change how I feel about mine. Buying things to achieve exclusivity or status is a fool's errand.
Not in the slightest :) . Maybe I should have been clearer, it does not matter to me at all that it does anything with my 'ltd' run in terms of exclusiveness. I highly doubt it sounds, plays or does anything better than any other PRS and I really like my guitars.

My point is that if 'one in five guitars' is a ltd run I get a 'boy who cried wolf' feeling: a big whoop. Does not do anything for or subtract from the guitar itself, it is just a little confusing. That's all. I don't know any other major guitar builder with so many special/ltd versions.

Let's say it is a marketing choice ;)

Not in the slightest :) . Maybe I should have been clearer, it does not matter to me at all that it does anything with my 'ltd' run in terms of exclusiveness. I highly doubt it sounds, plays or does anything better than any other PRS and I really like my guitars.

My point is that if 'one in five guitars' is a ltd run I get a 'boy who cried wolf' feeling: a big whoop. Does not do anything for or subtract from the guitar itself, it is just a little confusing. That's all. I don't know any other major guitar builder with so many special/ltd versions.

Let's say it is a marketing choice ;)
We agree 100%.

I jokingly call limited runs on manufactured goods 'sucker-bait'. And it takes one to know one, because I'm one of the suckers!

It's human nature to not want to miss out on something desirable, right? Act now before it's too late! ;)

Remember when Apple offered iPhones in red for a limited time, because of the RED charity or whatever it was (I managed to pass on that one somehow)? Sucker bait.

I once had a limited edition Corvette. Never mind that there were ten zillion other limited edition Corvettes that year! Sucker bait.

But the bottom line is that the PRS limited runs are actually pretty interesting instruments in and of themselves. So for some reason I never feel taken advantage of. I've had a bunch of limited runs. The Artist II, the Artist V, the Sig Ltd., and of course the PS runs, and a few others like the 594 Soapbar (which, gotta say, is one of the best sounding guitars PRS has ever built!).

I sold some of those to get something else, but they were really great, every one of them, and I honestly should have kept them. My mistake. I still have the PS runs and the Soapy, and those will never leave.

I had a Tom Petty Ltd. Edition Rick 12. Sold it to a friend. It's now worth PS money. But I bought it because it had a wider neck and independent saddles, unlike the production models. It was terrific, I was stupid to let it go, and wouldn't sell it now no matter what it's worth. Sucker bait? Sure. So what.

So my thinking is, best to understand what I'm actually buying - the instrument itself - the test is whether I'd buy it regardless of the limited run thing. If I would, then it doesn't matter how many runs they make down the road, doesn't matter if they turn it into a production model.

A great guit-fiddle is worth its weight in gold! So to me, doesn't matter if they're ALSO sucker bait. I'll let the others worry about that stuff. Obviously, you feel the same way.

Last edited:
I don’t like the fact that I don’t have enough money to have one of each, from the SE’s to the Core. I don’t care about tops, color (as long as it’s blue), dots/birds, or which line. GIVE ME TONE, OR GIVE ME DEAF! (Full disclosure- I do have some non-blue guitars, the devil made me do it.)

I find the core guitars to be physically uncomfortable.
The violin carve is a hard no for me.
All my PRS guitars are S2s.
They are great.

:)
I have two S2’s you could offer me double what I paid and it would be a hard NO. ESPECIALLY my Mira they ( and Black Betty, my S2 Standard) were made with magic, on a magic day.

I have no issues with most of my PRS guitars. About the only thing I don't like is the location of the Volume knob on my Silver Star guitars and on my S2 Studio guitar. I chalk that up to my less than stellar right hand technique, as I can inadvertantly turn the volume knob when soloing with a pick. I would like to see all "S" style guitars have volume, tone and blade set ups similar "T" style guitars, but I know it will never happen.....

There are lot's of things that I do like about PRS guitars, which I why I have my fair share of them. AMEN

Last edited:
Back