What I do not like in PRS guitars

Nadir

I know, it is a personal taste discussion but I do not like

1) birds
I cannot get used to them neither on the esthetical nor on the functional side, I do prefer the classic dots and "moons";
to me they are confusing, I rely on dots on the side.

2) most of figured tops and paintings
I am a vintage guy: I prefer classic sunburst paintings and lightly figured tops when not solid at all (... ehm ... gold tops ;) ? )

3) vintage style tuners
as an exception to my vintage taste I always hated them, also on Gibsons; I think PRS has designed some of best tuners around (Phase II and III) and I don't see a reason to turn back to old-style tuners even on vintage-oriented models.

Regarding birds, I never liked the hollow birds. I also don't like that PRS doesn't make a 24 fret wide fat neck fixed bridge guitar. Yeah Yeah Yeah...Private Stock. Kluson look Phase 3's would be cool. :)

Yes its true. I don't like the pickups because there is too much clarity and when I make a mistake (frequently) its much too obvious. Its better with one of my "other" guitars that has muddier pickups. That's why I don't play my 5 PRS guitars often at all. They sound too good for my playing ability.

I'm buying an Emerald Green CU24 with Gen III trem in a couple of weeks too. It'll prob sound the same the other PRS, which I hate.

I know, it is a personal taste discussion but I do not like

1) birds
I cannot get used to them neither on the esthetical nor on the functional side, I do prefer the classic dots and "moons";
to me they are confusing, I rely on dots on the side.

2) most of figured tops and paintings
I am a vintage guy: I prefer classic sunburst paintings and lightly figured tops when not solid at all (... ehm ... gold tops ;) ? )

3) vintage style tuners
as an exception to my vintage taste I always hated them, also on Gibsons; I think PRS has designed some of best tuners around (Phase II and III) and I don't see a reason to turn back to old-style tuners even on vintage-oriented models.
This is just more proof that making the various options on these guitars is good for the business. I am almost completely opposite of you.

1. ALL of my PRS guitars have birds. To me a PRS HAS to have them. I have passed on really nice guitars because they had dots or moons.

2. I LOVE the 10 and Artist tops. Most of my PRS guitars have 10 or Artist tops. I have a couple that are non 10 and one that is a solid color, they all have birds... See point 1. I can't stand gold tops.

3. This is where we agree. I have a couple with the older style tuners. I much prefer the locking PRS tuners.

This is why PRS makes something for all of our tastes....

This is just more proof that making the various options on these guitars is good for the business. I am almost completely opposite of you.

1. ALL of my PRS guitars have birds. To me a PRS HAS to have them. I have passed on really nice guitars because they had dots or moons.

2. I LOVE the 10 and Artist tops. Most of my PRS guitars have 10 or Artist tops. I have a couple that are non 10 and one that is a solid color, they all have birds... See point 1. I can't stand gold tops.

3. This is where we agree. I have a couple with the older style tuners. I much prefer the locking PRS tuners.

This is why PRS makes something for all of our tastes....
Cup half full :) Well said.

With so much to like, and a version to suit most tastes, and no one twisting any arms to make you play any particular brand or model, the options have never been better for guitarists.

May sound fanboy-ish, but I can't see a single thing I don't like in what PRS does. Sure, I may prefer something more over the other, but there isn't a model, aesthetic, finish, stain type, switching / electronics option I wouldn't happily welcome into my home.

The way I see PRS is they are consistently trying to cover as much sonic territory as possible with persistent quality and at least some level of continuous visual representation - be it headstock shape or fretboard inlays.

When the S2 line launched, I wasn't a huge fan of those and had (in my own fanboy-ism) wished they'd invested in something else...a new model, or improve the SE line or something. I see that with other folks, too, regarding the Silver Sky and 594 variants. People will always have their own opinions on how a company should invest in R&D and product launches, which is a good thing because it shows people are passionate about the product. But in the end, it's Paul's company and he has built an excellent, solid team around him that make sound decisions on how the company approaches new products and designs. If anything, the track record of the company's growth is a testament to the strength of that team.

If I were to ask for anything from PRS, it'd simply be more models (maybe bring back some older ones) and more colors. Other than that, I simply just like what PRS does.

I prefer a plain top as well. I am from the era that LP’s, 335’s and SG’s in plain tops were the thing. I don’t mind the PRS bling, but happy they offer S2’s in tops I like. Don’t mind a nice quilted top as well. Flame would not be my first choice, but I am obviously in the minority. Birds yay or nay. Dots are fine. But to each his own. Don’t get me started on brittle S2 finishes though. But my S2’s are staying. One might be refinished at some time or another to see what I can do.

Last edited:
Here's what I wish PRS would improve in one area - vintage style tuners look perfect on these McCarty's, but they are not lockers. So, in order to keep vintage style tuners looking vintage but still able to lock strings, hide the locking mechanism on the back side. Don't use the current locker design with the tall posts and a slotted cap. That ain't vintage. So, please PRS, design, mfg and sell locking tuners that look exactly like the vintage tuners on my McCarty Thinline, but with rotating locker on the back side. Voila - vintage tuners for that total McCarty line that look exactly like vintage tuners from the front.

Regarding the birds, I love mine and I don't care if they're plastic. I love em! So, no problem that you don't, Nadir, each to their own.

For what it's worth (probably nothing) here's my thinking on all this:

Can I get the sounds and feels I like playing a PRS (using the plural 'feels' 'cause they all feel a little different)?

Yes.

Do I prefer PRS' very own locking tuning machines?

Yes, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a great guitar with vintage style tuners (and in fact, it hasn't, since I've bought quite a few over the years with vintage tuners). It's a teeny-tiny minor issue.

Do the birds matter at all, pro or con?

At first birds were a gateway drug into PRS-land. Now I'd love to see more Core models offering optional moons. But would birds stop me from going ga-ga over a given model? Well, so far they haven't.

If you don't like the standard fare, are WL or PS models that go in a variety of directions worth the money?

You bet! I have four PS models. They have birds. Nothing could be less important in my world than the birds. However, the guitars are fantastic and are my best sounding (and playing) instruments.

Am I a vintage guy?

Yes. I love vintage tone, and have a 1965 SG Special (owned since my brother gave it to me in 1967 that I don't give a rat's ass about - it lives with my son in LA; he likes it).

PRSes are uniformly better sounding guitars than 99% of vintage examples. I've played boatloads of very expensive vintage guitars over the years that session players come to my studio with, or are owned by friends. I'm not a newb.

And aw Hell, I'm a vintage human.

What's the purpose of the guitar?

The purpose is making music. When it becomes more about owning a piece of wood that has the decor accoutrements someone feels they need, great, it's their money, but that's not why it was built.

Make music with the guitar and forget about the BS, that's my advice to myself. YMMV, and I won't argue if you feel differently.

Last edited:
I find the core guitars to be physically uncomfortable.
The violin carve is a hard no for me.
All my PRS guitars are S2s.
They are great.

:)
And isn't it wonderful that you can find what you want in terms of comfort with the S2s?

There's a guitar for everyone! Come and get 'em while the gettin's good! ;)

I love the violin carve. Maybe that's because I write orchestral music? <<< (that was the crime of 'Attempted Joke', which is a misdemeanor in most states in the event the joke fails, which this one did, but did that stop me? Hell no).

Me two pesos

Me no like:
- Nut material. I think the bronze composite material is too soft. SE ones, Core ones...I replace them as soon as I get them. I especially dislike how they play grabby with strings on trem equipped axes. I have a bag of them and about everyone had strings digging trenches into the nut.
- The Neck Heel. I personally dont find it an issue, but it would be nice to make it more streamlined. It does feel sort of like its there as a carryover from vintage guitar designs, not for anything more practical. That said, the PRS neck heel is far better than the way one on an LP feels, IMO.
- WHY YOU NO MAKE DRAGON 1'S?! I like almost all PRS designed pickups, but Dragon 1's, from audio clips I've researched, have a really lovely bite to them. Unfortunately since they arent made anymore, its luck to find a set and they are usually gonna be crazy expensive. Why these are discontinued is beyond me.

ME Likey:
- I like the violin carve, but I can see how some people would find it more uncomfortable. In all honesty, I prefer the shallow violin carve on certain SE guitars. My Soltero has one and...yeah, it hurts my arm. Aesthetically, It looks phenomenal though.
- I think the bird inlays are great. I never understood the dislike for them. To me, they are unique and really pretty. I like birds alot, so I guess its up my alley.
- The tuners are fine. I think the phase 2 was a little odd, but I like the phase 3 design.
- The non-adjustable wraparound bridge. I really like these. They intonate quite well. Its a remarkable piece of engineering and so simple in design.

PRS Extra Credit:
- Any hardware from John Mann. I like Mannmade products alot and use his saddles on any trem equipped PRS I own. They make any intonation problem go byebye.

Back