What have I just purchased?

bbthelpc

Good evening. Have long admired PRS, but not long had the budget to indulge.

What have I just purchased? I bought this on impulse, and now have to go back and familiarize myself.

Can you help me ID this?

Is a double-cut, 24-fret w/gold hardware. Truss rod cover is gorgeous rosewood, with an Asian symbol inlaid.

Identifying stuff: Back electronics cover reads, "Santana Brazilian LTD #032."

Back of headstock reads:

"Private Stock#(065

8-11-05"

Yeah, there seems to be a little parentheses mark in front of the "065."

The top is just gorgeous... Amazing tones, needs a setup though. I'd certainly appreciate any input.

Much respect,

BB

Originally i was thinking Santana Model, Brazilian Rosewood neck and fretboard. One of 200 made.

But that would not be a Private Stock. Perhaps someone swiped a control cavity cover from a BRW Sanatana and put it on a PS Santana?

I have concerns. Post pics.

Last edited:
pictures or it didnt happen. bu5 your description says it all. 2005 private stock santana.

509582c977d0.gif

Working on pix... gimme a few. No, it's lacking that stripe.
If it lacks inlaid pinstripes (like the sample pic below), it isn't a BRW Santana - which means the back-plate was swiped from a BRW Santana and placed on a PS Santana.

Or... um...

Yes. We need definitely need pics.

PRS-Santana-Brazilian-Blue-Mateo%20(1).jpg

Last edited:
If this one isn't your's someone out there is making a lot of fakes. Bad fakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so... clearly a bad mix of the indicators that would indicate any authenticity whatsoever, and on top of it there's a video of the very same numbers on an instrument. So yeah, either exactly the same instrument as in the video, or a damn ripoff. Is this even a PRS? Guessing not.

No. It's not a PRS, man. There is NO doubt. Very sorry. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it or... can return it.

Okay, I appreciate your input, guys. I just reached the seller, and at this point he seems to be amenable to taking it back. I won't believe that until I see it, of course. You're champs for putting the effort into this. Holy crap, this is one substantial scam.

Please keep us informed regarding the outcome. And when you're ready for a real PRS, come see us 1st. We'll help you find the guitar of your dreams.

The resolution, such as it is

Sadly unless you went thru eBay and PayPal, chances are you'll never see a dime.

Yeah, and I won't. Wanted to give you guys more information, and to offer my gratitude.

There's a reasonable chance that the college kid who sold me this didn't realize he had a fake. We had a pretty length discussion about this, and he never backed down from his belief that it's worth far more than the few hundred I paid. Yeah, there are lots of schemes and fraudsters out there (I work in law enforcement), and I am well aware that everything from his impeccable manners to his nerdy glasses could have been part of a scam. Ultimately, though, I could not, of course, get him to refund. Hell, not even a partial refund. He went on and on about what a blessing it was that this enabled him to pay his bills, blah blah blah...

SO, some positives, and an idea or two moving forward:

1. I'd been flipping guitars rather successfully for a few months, and realize now that I was not nearly diligent enough. I could have easily been burned before this. Moving forward--and I will--I will be entirely diligent. Part of my downfall here was my ignorance re: PRS. Hand me a Fender, for example, and from the get-go I have an excellent chance of smelling a phony. I am also familiar with how to authenticate many brands of guitar, and moving forward the plan will be to do that BEFORE hitting the savings account.

2. There have been times in my life when being ripped off for this amount would have been devastating. I am blessed to no longer be in that position. Not fun, but okay.

3. So what do do with this? I don't want this freakin' albatross, and I cannot mis-represent it for sale. But an idea occurred to me (bear with me here):

My best friend runs a martial arts school, and like any business owner, he has ups and downs. Summer was slow, and he'd really like to attend a November training for a new certification. My thought: I'll post this guitar for sale on Craiglist with full and complete information such as I have it (likely including the video above), and let it go for the highest price, donating whatever I get to my friend's training fund. I'll spin a positive out of this yet. If someone wants this conversation piece for $50, well, my friend will eat mighty well during one day of training. If someone ponies up more, my best friend benefits even more.

Gonna take it to GC today for a setup and get going on this little idea of mine when it's done.

I appreciate your input, gentlemen. As always, I am open to input, criticism, suggestions, and dirty jokes.

Shalom.

BB

Back