What Happened?

If there was an app for our phones where you could check the forum and post, the traffic would increase. I pinned the forum address in icon on my phone so I can read and post from my phone. This comes in handy when I am traveling for work.
I use DuckDuckGo as browser on my phone, this forum and the Roon forum are saved as two bookmarks and permanent open pages so I can quickly check each forum from my phone as I rarely sit behind a computer nowadays unless forced to!

Here’s another - we are a niche forum. Our premise is a like or love for a specific guitar brand that is not the big f or big G. Lots of cool, passionate folks, but outliers. I suspect most guitarists may or may not have a PRS in the stable. My stable is 67% PRS (2 of 3, the odd man is a Yamaha acoustic), and I’m sure there are some 100%’ers here. So, we kind of self select the size of membership based on brand favoritism. I started here, because when I decided to pick up guitar at near retirement age, the local happened to be a PRS dealer and for a couple hundred $ more, I got a guitar that felt better than a Squire. I started with newbie questions and stayed for the camaraderie.

Regarding niche forums, the Mesa “Boogie Boards” (same as “grail tone” I think?) is a pretty sparse forum. Most of what I find there is several years old. My one and only tube amp is a little Mesa, so I started there when I had questions, but just lurking. I get better help here.

TGP? I lurk a lot, post a little. There is some help, and little camaraderie. And well, who can tear their eyes away from a train wreck? There’s always a few of those happening there.

It's all my fault. Just ask my wife.

Without access to your wife, I had to ask mine. She agreed, but suggested that you only share the blame, and that I must be guilty also. (I jest, my wife doesn’t even know you…)

I am not asking my wife because I am sure I will be implicated in some way as well.

We've lost a couple members :-( and have a few long time members that haven't posted much at all lately do to life stuff, and a couple formerly VERY active members that are either "on break" or not posting nearly as much.

And season is a biggy for me. We've been camping 2 weeks out of the last 6 and I rarely post when we are. And other nights I'm working outside in the yard til dark and not on until after 11:00 or so when few are around.

That said, I see certain types of posts that seem to draw out some of the people who haven't posted much lately. I'm sure if Sergio came back and posted a couple things we'd see an uptick. This is the longest break I've ever heard of him taking
Exactly what I was thinking.

I use DuckDuckGo as browser on my phone, this forum and the Roon forum are saved as two bookmarks and permanent open pages so I can quickly check each forum from my phone as I rarely sit behind a computer nowadays unless forced to!
Same browser here.
And yes, I've saved all my forums as icons on the desktop.

I've waited awhile to chime in. I think the exact opposite. I feel there is more traffic now than there has been, at points, in the past. I've been a member since early 2015, and have worked from home since 2007. My work PC is set up 90 degrees to the right of my home PC, so I am on the forum throughout the day, almost every day. I knock off around 5:00 CST, and may not be back on until the next morning. I'm also a guy that reads every post. I can remember, pre-pandemic, when there was no more than one page of unread posts. That's 20, or less. I look at the activity today, and there are continuously three pages of unread posts. I know, that's just what I haven't read, but that is a far cry from points in, say, 2018 or 2019.

There have been some great points made in the posts before this one. It is cyclical. People's lives do get in the way. Heck, I'm trying to cut down on device screen time on the weekends. I may still read, but may not respond. Or, may use an emoji instead of typing a reply. I'm far more likely to type something sitting at the PC vs. my phone or iPad. I guess I've been here long enough to be a medium timer, and, yes, we sometimes come across a little tough on newcomers, of just plain defensive. Heck, this place was tough to crack back in 2015 when I joined. It felt like a long time before I was "accepted."

Some of the old guard just don't post as much. Some of that comes with time and moving on with other things. Some, I'm sure, comes with frustration. I think that PRS doing away with the Signature Club, and not restarting Experience has played a big role. That was where a lot of relationships were solidified, and that carried over here. I wish Hans and Sergio were active again. I miss those guys. Steve and Alan have not posted recently, and I really miss their input here, too. Sadly, some members have passed on.

As Andy pointed out, the product line has some effect. Completely agree with that. I also don't think PRS (the company, not the man) are helping out at all. Sure, they're good enough to host this forum, but since Shawn left, there has been no PRS presence other than PSF. I think they're missing out on a huge opportunity with that respect.

The forum is what we make of it. I try to be welcoming and supportive. Hopefully, that breeds more members and more content. Lots of others are as well. I applaud you all for making this a cool place to hang out with (mostly) like minded people as it relates to gear.

Lots of good thoughts on the subject posted. I don't know about anyone else for sure and I'm not one of the most frequent posters, but I've not been on the board as much lately. I started a new job about 7 weeks ago and it's really cut back on my internetting. I might have to quit this job so I can spend more times on the several forums I visit.

Some of the old guard just don't post as much. Some of that comes with time and moving on with other things. Some, I'm sure, comes with frustration. I think that PRS doing away with the Signature Club, and not restarting Experience has played a big role. That was where a lot of relationships were solidified, and that carried over here. I wish Hans and Sergio were active again. I miss those guys. Steve and Alan have not posted recently, and I really miss their input here, too. Sadly, some members have passed on
Yes on all counts.

Back